Community

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wtf is a showrunner? I thought he just created the thing. He hasn't really directed or written much anyways. He's going to be a consultant which is fine, that's pretty much what he is now.

D

Deleted_171835

I watched the videogame episode and it was awesome. So many references (even to Minecraft/Terraria!)

What the hell. You don't replace the guy who created the freaking show (especially this one) and oversees each episode. You just don't do that.

Sony truly is evil. I hope the show still remains as good in the next season but I doubt it'll be that way.

He posted about it on his tumblr.
http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/23339272200/hey-did-i-miss-anything

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wtf is a showrunner? I thought he just created the thing. He hasn't really directed or written much anyways. He's going to be a consultant which is fine, that's pretty much what he is now.

Just going to use the Wikipedia definition to get the point across...

Showrunner (alternatively, but not commonly, show runner) is a term of art originating in the United States television industry referring to the person who is responsible for the day-to-day operation of a television series — although such persons generally are credited as an executive producer[1] or supervising producer.

...The term "show runner" was created to identify the producer who actually held ultimate management and creative authority for the program. The blog (and book) Crafty Screenwriting defines showrunner as: "...the person responsible for all creative aspects of the show, and responsible only to the network (and production company, if it's not his production company). The boss. Usually a writer."

Showrunners basically determine the direction a show takes; in his new role (which, for all we know, could mean nothing), Dan Harmon will no longer have that power. Community has been his easy, but it's been taken out of his hands.

Now, the guys replacing him have been showrunners for the show Happy Endings. I've never seen it, but I have heard some pretty good things about it. They're supposed to be really smart guys, and I'm sure they'll do the best they can with Community. Still, though, that doesn't change the fact that the man who made Community Community is pretty much gone. What we're getting in the fall may be something entirely different.

For me, the Season 3 finale is the perfect end for Community as envisioned by Dan Harmon. I'm hoping the new show we get in the fall can live up to it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I wasn't too thrilled with the last few episodes. The season finale felt more like an average episode while the Chang Dynasty episode felt like the proper end to the story arc. Usually every other season has ended on some big cliffhanger (Jeff and Annie in season one, Pierce leaving in season two), but this didn't really do much in terms of character cliffhangers. It felt like a normal episode with a montage stapled to the end of it to make it feel more "season finale-ish". I would have rather wanted that episode as first in the line-up, then the video game episode, then the Chang Dynasty episode since that does have cliffhangers (Troi leaving to join the air conditioner school).

I enjoyed the rest of season three but I'm not too thrilled with how it ended.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, I wasn't too thrilled with the last few episodes. The season finale felt more like an average episode while the Chang Dynasty episode felt like the proper end to the story arc. Usually every other season has ended on some big cliffhanger (Jeff and Annie in season one, Pierce leaving in season two), but this didn't really do much in terms of character cliffhangers. It felt like a normal episode with a montage stapled to the end of it to make it feel more "season finale-ish". I would have rather wanted that episode as first in the line-up, then the video game episode, then the Chang Dynasty episode since that does have cliffhangers (Troi leaving to join the air conditioner school).

I enjoyed the rest of season three but I'm not too thrilled with how it ended.

I didn't like the Chang Dynasty. Personally, I would have loved to have seen another Paintball episode.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't like the Chang Dynasty. Personally, I would have loved to have seen another Paintball episode.

They kinda joked about that in one of the episodes. I forget the exact episode/remark but it something along the lines of paintball getting old. I kinda consider the pillow/blanket fort episode to be their "paintball episode" for the season.

But I would like another paintball episode, Chang Dynasty could have been a good set up for it.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
pokmon-community-bit-episode-pays-tribute-to-missingno.png

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's quite a delay, I guess NBC just needs their flops out of the way.

It's a bit of a shame it didn't nab a Friday timeslot, a lot of people said it'd do better there and I fear that sticking to the Thursday timeslot could kill the series. Hopefully fan rallying and the additional time to build hype will gather a large viewer base to keep it afloat.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's quite a delay, I guess NBC just needs their flops out of the way.

It's a bit of a shame it didn't nab a Friday timeslot, a lot of people said it'd do better there and I fear that sticking to the Thursday timeslot could kill the series. Hopefully fan rallying and the additional time to build hype will gather a large viewer base to keep it afloat.

Well, 30 Rock is on the way out, The Office might be as well, and Up All Night is due for yet another retool, so NBC might keep Community around because it literally won't have anything else.

Here's hoping, anyway.

Reactions: Guild McCommunist
D

Deleted_171835

I guess he just wasn't streets ahead.

While Chevy Chase definitely comes across as a twat, I'm going to miss Pierce on the show. He was pretty damn funny.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls