Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
HoTsHoT89 said:
For some strange reason to anyone who got this working on their R4 (also for other flashcarts):

Can Moonshell 2 view the TTMenu(contains the firmware files) and YSMenu(contains the ysmenu.ini and ysmenu.nds files) folders? Mine doesn't show up as if it wasn't there at all, but DSOrganise is able to view it just fine. It's definitely not hidden as well.

Is anyone having the same problem as I do?
see this file: moonshl2\hidepath.ini
replace this lines :
QUOTE said:
; Hide DSTT and DSTT Advance.
/TTMenu

; Hide DSTT YSMenu.
/YSMenu
to
;/TTMenu

; Hide DSTT YSMenu.
;/YSMenu

linoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Blackiris said:
linoul said:
I get it work on AK2.

and AKAIO can try AKAIO Moonshell2 Loader Public Beta

Wait. Did you get it to work on AK2 using the above method? With the official firmware?
Or did you follow the method but used the AKAIO MoonShell 2 Loader from your link instead of your YSloader?

I need confirm that before I add anything to the guide.
unsure.gif
I confirm "YSloader" perfect work on AK2
YSmenu's akextract.exe only to convert official firmware.

I mean if you use AKAIO (it better than official) you can try "AKAIO MoonShell 2 Loader"

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First off, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to put all this together. This is something I've been hoping for, for ages.

I've been fighting with this for hours now, but I can't get it work on my R4. Obviously, the problem is with me as other people seem to have it running correctly.

My first problem is that r4decrypt crashes whether I try to run it from the command line or by using a BAT file. Windows XP just pops up a standard error message and shuts it down. Am I missing something here?

The second thing I don't understand is this point in sprogurt's instructions:

11.Downgrade your firmware to the oldest (safest) one and drag and drop the .dat file to in the same folder as the ysmenu folder (the one we created earlier again)

Firmware means the official _DS_MENU file from the R4 site? Downgrade means select the earliest available version, which would be R4 v1.11 kernel(English) 2007-7-30?

Finally, where do I get the _DS_MENU.SYS file from? The one shown in the picture sprogurt attached. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Sorry for being a complete idiot, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain any of the above to me. I'd like to be able to at least follow the instructions to the letter before banging my head on the table.

linoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Airth said:
First off, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to put all this together. This is something I've been hoping for, for ages.

I've been fighting with this for hours now, but I can't get it work on my R4. Obviously, the problem is with me as other people seem to have it running correctly.

My first problem is that r4decrypt crashes whether I try to run it from the command line or by using a BAT file. Windows XP just pops up a standard error message and shuts it down. Am I missing something here?

The second thing I don't understand is this point in sprogurt's instructions:

11.Downgrade your firmware to the oldest (safest) one and drag and drop the .dat file to in the same folder as the ysmenu folder (the one we created earlier again)

Firmware means the official _DS_MENU file from the R4 site? Downgrade means select the earliest available version, which would be R4 v1.11 kernel(English) 2007-7-30?

Finally, where do I get the _DS_MENU.SYS file from? The one shown in the picture sprogurt attached. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Sorry for being a complete idiot, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain any of the above to me. I'd like to be able to at least follow the instructions to the letter before banging my head on the table.

Here is a tutorial (language for japan) http://NKblog.exblog.jp/11211988/

Montevieau

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Airth said:

ARGH! I have an Original R4, and I'm still fighting with this (I mean, trying tu run comercial ROMs from MoonShell), but I've already figured that r4crypt thing out.

It's true, r4crypt crashes. An alternative could be:

1)Extract the r4crypt zip on your Desk.

2)Drop your DLDI-patched moonshell2.nds on the r4crypt folder.

3)Go to Start Menu.

4)Click on Run. Enter "cmd" and then enter key.

5)Enter "cd desk" and enter key, then "cd r4crypt" and enter key.

6)Now enter the following code: "r4crypt.exe -e moonshell2.nds _DS_MENU.DAT"

7)If done right you should get a new file, "_DS_MENU", which will autoboot MoonShell2 without going through the R4 menu (after you drop it on the root of your miniSD)

Hope that works.

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much, linoul,

I followed the tutorial you linked to and managed to encrypt Moonshell using r4denc. It now loads automatically when I switch my DS on.

Now when I click on an nds file it loads YSMenu, following which I click on the nds file again to load it. Just to confirm, is that what's supposed to happen? (Running on an R4).

Blackiris said in an earlier post "Yes, taking DSision 2 as an example, it directly loads from MoonShell 2.", which I assume means it should just load the selected game immediately.

My config file for the extlink is set as follows:

;How boot YSMenu
;0-Only boot YSMenu
;1-Autoboot game
autoboot=1

This would also suggest games should directly load.

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Montevieau said:
ARGH! I have an Original R4, and I'm still fighting with this (I mean, trying tu run comercial ROMs from MoonShell), but I've already figured that r4crypt thing out...

Hi Montevieau, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm glad it wasn't just me having problems with this. As I said in my previous post I managed to get round this by using r4denc.

Thanks again.

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ha-Ha!

I've got it! Everything works perfectly on my R4 now - thank you everyone.

I figured out the YSMenu config file is changed to autoboot whatever file is selected, but because all my folder and nds names are in Japanese they were being incorrectly copied over. I tried changing one file to English and *Voila!* all is well - in other words commercial games load directly without dropping into YSMenu.

It's a bit of a pain for me, but it just means I'll have to rename all my files if I want to use this *grumble, grumble* I suppose you can't have everything...

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh good Lord, I leave my supervising of this thread to go to sleep, and when I come back...whoa XDD
I'm not gonna try directly replying to all the posts for now, since that would make this one really huge post ^^;

@Unneon
Oh, okay. But still, the autoboot thing still happens whether ysmenu.nds is in a folder or at the root (I tested it myself). Using your loader would really require the deletion of YSMENU.ini, although it's not as if it'll affect anything since this is a different loader from linoul's. And yes, please post here with an upload of the splash screen-less alternate loader, to replace the alternate loader link
happy.gif

@HotsHot89 & sprogurt
I would've answered those, but Unneon handled it perfectly XD Thanks to Unneon.

@junker_man32
Not very useful to make a post making fun of someone else's flashcart in a place that's not EoF =/

@linoul
I see, so the AK method works perfectly, and people using AKAIO can use that same method but instead using Normmatt's AKAIO loader. Got it. \o/

@Airth
o_o *blink* o_o
I don't know just what happened with your problem; seems I missed out on a lot...^^; But since you're another one to fully confirm this working on an R4 (Original I assume), what method did you follow? Did sprogurt's method work, or did you follow linoul's link? Or was the only problem the r4crypt program and the non-English names that would've made sprogurt's method work perfectly?
unsure.gif

@Montevieau
So there's a problem with r4crypt running. Then I guess your post will definitely serve useful to others who might have problems in the future. This one will be added. Thanks!
wink2.gif

On to normal everyday replies, I'll comment on what Airth said...you can't have 'em all >_> Sorry if I'm compiling all the information in a seemingly haphazard way, plus I have to ask so many questions to anyone who says it doesn't work or to those who got it to work but might've used alternate methods from the ones in the main post. Just trying my best here to make this guide, quoted from the first post, "as effective as possible".

Updating now.
yaynds.gif

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
unneon said:
HoTsHoT89 said:
For some strange reason to anyone who got this working on their R4 (also for other flashcarts):

Can Moonshell 2 view the TTMenu(contains the firmware files) and YSMenu(contains the ysmenu.ini and ysmenu.nds files) folders? Mine doesn't show up as if it wasn't there at all, but DSOrganise is able to view it just fine. It's definitely not hidden as well.

Is anyone having the same problem as I do?
see this file: moonshl2\hidepath.ini
replace this lines :
QUOTE said:
/TTMenu

; Hide DSTT YSMenu.
/YSMenu
to
;/TTMenu

; Hide DSTT YSMenu.
;/YSMenu
Nice job, able to view the folders now.
smile.gif

As for r4crypt, I had the crashing problem too, I should have informed the others in the first place. As Montevieau mentioned, running the program from command line should do the trick.

Now to get softreset working...
unsure.gif

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Soft-reset? I thought that if the firmware file was replaced by MoonShell 2.00 (as in, it's what automatically boots instead of the original firmware menu), YSMenu would automatically soft-reset to there. Well, at least it works on DSTT that way...what about R4? If it doesn't, then I'm gonna go change something in the first post...

WoobiE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone please make another tutorial for the Real R4 and clones? Or maybe just add on extra steps to the current tutorial and put down specific file types, names and whatever else is needed. Someone who has already got it to work on those cards. The tutorial for AK, DSTT and the rest are fine. Just the R4 one is confusing.
I really appriciate the one that is currently posted up on the first page but the steps seem to be missing alot of detail which makes it more confusing.

Airth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is how I got this working on my original R4.

The root of my card is as follows:

moonshl2 folder containing nds.YSloaderForMS2.nds and its config file in the extlink folder. There should be no need to make any changes to the contents of the config file.

TTMenu folder, which contains the skins for YSMenu, r4dldi dat file, and all kinds of other, probably unnecessary, bits and pieces.

ysmenu folder containing ysmenu.nds and YSMENU configuration file (there's no need for the dat firmware file mentioned in step 11 of sprogurt's instructions). I don't know if this makes any difference, but when making YSMenu, I selected option 2 (in r4config) - an automatically loading nds file, not option 4 as indicated in sprogurt's instructions. Also even though this is probably obvious it wasn't previously mentioned, so I'll point out that you need to run the R4 batch file to actually create the R4_custom_English folder.

_DS_MENU dat file - this is the moonshell2 nds file that I encrypted using r4denc ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1081 ) and the BAT file from point 11 here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=97615.

_DS_MENU system file - this seems to have appeared automatically at some point in the process, so I just tried deleting it and everything still works fine. In other words, forget this.

TTMENU system file. As the previous file wasn't required, I tried deleting this one too. All that happens is that it will be automatically generated when you load a game the first time.

That's it! It's easy when you know how. If anyone wants me to go into more detail, just ask.

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@WoobiE
Please follow Airth's instructions below.
happy.gif

@Airth
Airth, thanks for the specific details, I'm pretty sure it'd help the R4 & Clones users out there.

Because of the replies we've been getting, I decided that the first post is gonna be completely re-organized with assured working methods for each flashcart that currently works. This is gonna take some time, compiling all information present thanks to the others who have been making this guide more useful. In short, the first post will undergo a massive change for the better, and it will take some time
smile.gif

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Blackiris said:
Soft-reset? I thought that if the firmware file was replaced by MoonShell 2.00 (as in, it's what automatically boots instead of the original firmware menu), YSMenu would automatically soft-reset to there. Well, at least it works on DSTT that way...what about R4? If it doesn't, then I'm gonna go change something in the first post...
The soft-reset was entirely disabled inside the YSMenu.ini for reasons that it might not work on other flashcarts other than the DSTT itself. Enabling it, like I did causes the DS to hang with the MicroSD smiley on the top screen upon pressing the combination buttons. The reasons, I suppose would be probably due to the R4's incompatibility with the DSTT's TTRESET.DAT.

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He-llo, GBAtemp, Blackiris here to say that the first post has undergone the said massive change for the better! All the new information (HoTsHoT89's compatibility note, Airth's links, etc.) discovered by others plus the old methods and such are now all compiled neatly into spoiler tags. Many thanks to the new contributer, Airth.
cool.gif

...it's now so organized it shines
rofl2.gif

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
irchief said:
not to be rude or anything but, what te hell is the point? if you got a flashcart just load it from there
Go to Moonshell through firmware then play media then reset back to menu and find a game to play in firmware again

Versus

Play media then stop it and find a game to play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...