Homebrew Suggestion Command & Conquer code have been released by EA — Switch port?..

Do you want a native port of C&C on Switch?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mathew77

Lovin' life.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
The original source code for Command & Conquer as well as Command & Conqueror: Red Alert have been released by Electronic Arts. You can grab it here on GitHub.

Everything is licensed under the GPL v3 and the source code contains all the original comments. Some statistics:
  1. 290 C++ Header files
  2. 296 C++ implementation files
  3. 14 assembler files containing x86 assembler instructions
  4. 222090 lines of C++ code
So, Switch port wen?.. ^_^

Here's the source of the news: http://www.hydrogen18.com/blog/peeking-under-the-hood-of-command-conquer.html by Eric Urban.

Buszu92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
cross fingers for this and starcraft 1 port. It will be awesome to play this games on switch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

cross fingers for that and Starcraft 1 port. It wil be awesome to play this games on Switch.

Reactions: mathew77

rock88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Just relax and wait for this guys to porting all WIN32 related parts to a SDL2 :D

Ul33KLb.png

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The original source code for Command & Conquer as well as Command & Conqueror: Red Alert have been released by Electronic Arts. You can grab it here on GitHub.

Everything is licensed under the GPL v3 and the source code contains all the original comments. Some statistics:
  1. 290 C++ Header files
  2. 296 C++ implementation files
  3. 14 assembler files containing x86 assembler instructions
  4. 222090 lines of C++ code
So, Switch port wen?.. ^_^

Here's the source of the news: http://www.hydrogen18.com/blog/peeking-under-the-hood-of-command-conquer.html by Eric Urban.

Peeking at the code there are comments in it from 2019 - meaning it might be the original code but it is also the code after they ported it for remastered

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
14 PIRATES want Switch port XD

Seriously that would be hell bad idea, How you suppose to play RTS without mouse?

D

Deleted User

That’s actually part of me mentioning lotr bfme 2 only the best rts of all time. It’s 360 version was soooo good and they were definitely some decent command and conquer games on 360 as well. Look it’s pretty much not a good idea to rts on a console but impossible? Far from it. I had some amazing rts experiences on 360. Portable mode might be fugly though.

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That’s actually part of me mentioning lotr bfme 2 only the best rts of all time. It’s 360 version was soooo good and they were definitely some decent command and conquer games on 360 as well. Look it’s pretty much not a good idea to rts on a console but impossible? Far from it. I had some amazing rts experiences on 360. Portable mode might be fugly though.
some rts games are playable on smartphones some even made for it, but always worse then with keyboard and mouse

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
14 PIRATES want Switch port XD

Seriously that would be hell bad idea, How you suppose to play RTS without mouse?
Cannon Fodder and Dune II were not so bad on the megadrive, would never take them over Amiga or DOS today but still playable enough on said systems. I actually got on sort of OK with the Wargames thing on the PS1 but never played a PC equivalent. Some of the Halo stuff built from the ground up for it was also OK. Go super modern and look at the likes of the DOTA/MOBA set and it also becomes viable, though they probably have more in common with mousekiller dungeon crawlers* than RTS.

That said yeah precise touchscreen (amusingly that means the DS with stylus) or mouse since things went down the actions per minute path for RTS games, and C&C is an early example of that path.

*now if you want a weird one for mouse or bust then I have met several that claim Diablo and whatnot would be unplayable on a control pad. I don't get that one at all. Indeed I had hundreds of hours across many games playing co-op with friends and family before I met that. I might even say pads are the equal or maybe with the right game superior to keyboard and mouse for that which is rare (pretty much only fighting and rhythm games that do better on those).

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cannon Fodder and Dune II were not so bad on the megadrive, would never take them over Amiga or DOS today but still playable enough on said systems. I actually got on sort of OK with the Wargames thing on the PS1 but never played a PC equivalent. Some of the Halo stuff built from the ground up for it was also OK. Go super modern and look at the likes of the DOTA/MOBA set and it also becomes viable, though they probably have more in common with mousekiller dungeon crawlers* than RTS.

That said yeah precise touchscreen (amusingly that means the DS with stylus) or mouse since things went down the actions per minute path for RTS games, and C&C is an early example of that path.

*now if you want a weird one for mouse or bust then I have met several that claim Diablo and whatnot would be unplayable on a control pad. I don't get that one at all. Indeed I had hundreds of hours across many games playing co-op with friends and family before I met that. I might even say pads are the equal or maybe with the right game superior to keyboard and mouse for that which is rare (pretty much only fighting and rhythm games that do better on those).
But you have to admitted it that early C&C ports for psx/N64 were terrible and thus has no reason to get them if you have a capable pc to run them right?
if Switch has touch screen implemented to emulate mouse then it could be a fantastic port, otherwise save urself from the pain to command troops via thumbstick LUL

The console portings of DIABLO 3 are simply became another genre: instead moving char with point2click, u use left analog and with every abilities bounded to buttons, that game simply become an Action-RPG! so compare D3 to C&C is not a rightful choice.

PC still remains the best way to play any RTS like C&C. and I'm sure that Westwood thinks the same except for financial purpose.

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Csmrcc

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But you have to admitted it that early C&C ports for psx/N64 were terrible and thus has no reason to get them if you have a capable pc to run them right?
if Switch has touch screen implemented to emulate mouse then it could be a fantastic port, otherwise save from urself from the pain to command ur troops via thumbstick LUL

The console portings of DIABLO 3 are simply became who another genre: instead moving char with point2click, u use left analog and with every abiliteis bounded to buttons, that game simply become an Action-RPG! so compare D3 to C&C is not a rightful choice.

PC still remains the best way to play any RTS like C&C. and I'm sure that Westwood thinks the same except for financial purpose.

Never played those ports (never had the PC versions click for me really but willing to take another turn). There are a few that enjoy them though -- they pop up in the hacking sections from time to time with people wanting small bugfixes, cheats and the like rather than radical overhauls or ways to shove mouse input in there.

The diablo stuff was more of an aside or me going off topic. I agree they are very different games. It was more that I was stunned when some people were adamant such games did not work on console controllers... guess I hallucinated all those hours of co-op baldur's gate dark alliance and the like.

As for best method...
Get me the right game (C&C being more than close enough to make it there with a tweak or two) and gear it for it and I will take giant tabletop touchscreen, drawing pad, 3d mouse or some combo of the lot over simple conventional mouse.
That said mouse is by far and away the superior choice for such things out of the vaguely conventional choices here. I am curious what a wii nunchuck for some things and mouse for precise combo would do here though -- I mostly only cared about FPS when doing that before.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Precision is not usually the problem as much as speed and amount of inputs if augmenting with the keyboard. On the speed thing then I can pick up and move the nice high DPI mouse (never mind a nice adjustable one) trivially while the analogue stick of a controller is probably in its ramp up stage. Forgo the stick acceleration curve and then yeah lack of precision, even if you have nice selection options and some AI as far as pathfinding and auto attack). You can sort of get around it with hold for fast cursor move and hold for map/screen move button(s) but it is still not as nice.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I meant as a point and click device like a wiimote. If possible it would probably be better than the analogue stick (assuming the acceleration is not optimised)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1