Comcast blocks hosting.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by TylerHartman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. TylerHartman
    OP

TylerHartman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    Hey I have Comcast, and well... They block hosting. Anyway to get hosting again without getting a new modem?

2. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Did you forward the correct ports? What ports?

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    What do you mean by hosting?

4. TylerHartman
    OP

Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    I'm hosting a web server, and yes I have ports forwarded.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Two main options, assuming getting a real ISP is not an option.
    1) It is usually just connections to certain ports they block rather than any deep packet fun (though I am prepared to be surprised). Use non standard ports and you are good. Not ideal for sites the general public has to speak to though as they tend to get a bit scared when you stick :somenumber at the end of a TLD.
    2) Some kind of bridge/forwarder/reverse proxy thing, I am not sure of the exact term here and there are various ways to do it. Your server still does the hosting, the calculations, the storage and whatever else but you have another server out there which fetches everything from your local machine and serves it up to the world. Most use such as setup as a kind of cache or for a multicast but it works here as well. This will likely cost something though. You will still have to go with nonstandard ports (or possibly some kind of VPN depending upon how you want to play it) but no end user should have to see it.

6. TylerHartman
    OP

Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    ok, thank you.