Colour of the Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Iamapirate, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Iamapirate
    OP

Iamapirate GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Rizzorules likes this.
  2. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wish the blue was a darker blue, but it looks nice. Hopefully the console is all matte.

3. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    It'll probably be only black, save a few special editions. PlayStation and Xbox don't release in white anymore, nor various other colors ala N64/GameCube did. All the cool kids think black looks cooler than transparent green. Even Wii U only had black and white versions.

Last edited by CeeDee, Oct 24, 2016
  4. Iamapirate
    OP

Sep 1, 2013
    Isn't the new Xbox white?

Anyway, since the Switch is already multi-coloured (Black and Gray) I think it's reasonable to assume it will come in more colours.

5. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I think except the Retro one they do all look bad XD

6. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    I think the Switch dock is ugly & that is pretty typical of first-gen Nintendo hardware.
    So any colour they use is way back of the priority list to me. I'd much prefer redesigned hardware with more curvature and less 'squarevature'.

With that said, in general I like console colours that stand out from the typical boring TV / Blu-Ray / DVD electronics.
    I'd much prefer bright yellow or pink and definitely prefer orange or white/beige above any of the typical 'male' blue/black/green/grey choices, which we have been so conditioned on they make me sick.

I think that Nintendo chose 'boring' to appeal to most adults conditioned on 'boring' with that colour being the one that would be 'safest' to appeal to both males and females without creating too many notable aversions or divisions of opinion. In other words it is 'safe' and 'boring' for both sexes conditioned on boring, particularly adults who are all well down the path of colour-conditioning. Matte has finally returned which is well overdue. Don't get me started on gloss surfaces on so many electronics...just don't.

The Badge-lorette!? likes this.
  7. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I like dthe blue there, the famucon need to be better designed to log nice :v I love every famicon special version of nintendo stuff XD
    zlda stuff is ok but I think they nee dto be les GOLD and ONLY GOLDD!!!!!11... majora's new3DS lost the opportunity to match the game a nice purple, gold have nothunf with majors :/ hyrulean version would be greath if was red and blue like the hylian shield ... why o put gold in everything? If triforce it's ok ... but green is a color tat match better the game, you can see by mostly of the apanese boxarts :v

8. Iamapirate
    OP

Sep 1, 2013
    I actually didn't notice the Gamecube themed one. Looks nice.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I think black is simply a good default colour, I don't think they made it black to appeal to anyone in particular.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Give me a Decepticon sticker and I'll take the Purple one!

10. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    Absolutely digging the Zelda one :creep:

11. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    That Zelda BOTW Looks nice!

12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Oh, Nintendo always so inclusive. If there is anything that is common to all people, no matter gender, race, nationality or political affiliation, is a final and definite death.
    So well done there choosing black, the color associated with death (only in western cultures cough cough) for your new inclusive shield tablet. /s

13. Rena

Rena Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2016
    United States
    Well since blue is my favorite color I'm going to have to go with that one. Although I do enjoy the yellow version!

14. ned

ned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2014
    It should of had switchable faceplate skins for your own colour
    combinations,
    t
    hat being said I want something retro inspired with wood like the Atari game center or silverly gold, the famicon and snes ones look best to me, i'd like joycons to have pink buttons like the original gameboy.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I kinda like the black one with orange accents. I like the red/black and blue/black too, and the SNES one.
    But I'll probably get one at launch, so I'll be stuck with the stock gray.

16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    If I get a Switch, I want it in white. I specifically asked my wife for a White Wii U because I perfer my consoles in lighter colors.

Last edited by LightyKD, Nov 3, 2016
  17. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    I want white since my black Wii U looks filthy after a while, even the smudges are bad.

18. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Better get a dust coloured one.

19. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I like the Famicom-one (I think those colors look so good together). Aaaand I like the "Metallic Rose" one, just like my lovely DS lite :D