Hacking Cloning SD Card (Emunand)

Kingfield

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey,
with being able to install .cia files now, I feel that moving my games to the 3ds SD card would be beneficial, so I gotta move up to a bigger size SD card.

Just wondering how to clone my existing SD card though - a simple copy and paste shouldn't work because of the partitioning right?

Or would I actually be able to simply move everything on my current SD card over to a new one?

Thanks in advance!

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just copy Nintendo 3DS folder to you're hard drive , Just make sure you're using a good card reader, so they is no corruption.. but that's at own risk .

Then you can transfair to other SD card from there .

Kingfield

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: gamesquest1

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this from a 4gb to a 8gb using DD command on mac... it takes a lot of time but i don't know any other method...
My favorite command on linux is cat 'cat /dev/... > /dev/...' Although I couldn't get card to card transfer to work, I did cat to a file then the file to the new card.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just clone the SD card's partition to the bigger card, then extend the partition to fill the rest of the free space. That's what I did with mine, going from the lame 4GB Class 4 card, to a new Class 6 16GB card.

(I used a paid version of AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro, but free alternatives like Gparted work fine too.)

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just clone the SD card's partition to the bigger card, then extend the partition to fill the rest of the free space. That's what I did with mine, going from the lame 4GB Class 4 card, to a new Class 6 16GB card.

(I used a paid version of AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro, but free alternatives like Gparted work fine too.)

I had issues trying the Gparted route. Ended up with all the default apps not showing in Eumunand.

phazonknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I dont know if i followed this to the tee or something but my eshop games did not follow the new SD card?
there was some people who had an issue with this method, did you start up the 3ds after formatting emunand.....but before copying the files from the original SD card? if you did the 3ds will of created new folders on the SD but with different names, all you need to do is delete everything except the launcher from the new SD and copy all the files back on from the old SD....this will make them show up again

phazonknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there was some people who had an issue with this method, did you start up the 3ds after formatting emunand.....but before copying the files from the original SD card? if you did the 3ds will of created new folders on the SD but with different names, all you need to do is delete everything except the launcher from the new SD and copy all the files back on from the old SD....this will make them show up again

Will do, thanks alot!
EDIT: Yup! that did it! thanks alot man, I owe you a drink haha

Reactions: gamesquest1

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can use Win32DiskImager to backup the old SD, then write the backup to the new SD.
Then all you have to do afterwards is expand the FAT32 (or ExFAT) partition to fill the new card using Disk Management. Actually Windows does not let you do that with cards over 32GB big so if your card is bigger than that you have to use another program to do it. Maybe EASEUS Partition Master can do it?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i
You can use Win32DiskImager to backup the old SD, then write the backup to the new SD.
Then all you have to do afterwards is expand the FAT32 (or ExFAT) partition to fill the new card using Disk Management. Actually Windows does not let you do that with cards over 32GB big so if your card is bigger than that you have to use another program to do it. Maybe EASEUS Partition Master can do it?
didnt know that the 3ds sd could use exfat ,or does it just work with emunand?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I had issues trying the Gparted route. Ended up with all the default apps not showing in Eumunand.

In that case, you should use a Windows app called ImageUSB. It can make a 1:1 backup image of your SD card. I've just tested it with my 2DS, and it works. You just have to extend the partition afterwards, which Gparted can do.

It's also the only USB backup solution that also grabs the MBR of the USB/SD too, making it easy to clone bootable USB sticks. That's how I know it's a 1:1 backup, if it can grab the MBR data with it.

Reactions: sio

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't really know why people complicate things so much... there's no need for any software other then emunand tool

Copy your files to the new SD card
Extract your emunand and inject it on the new SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo