OP
Trophies
Website
clusterrr.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Sorry for my english, I'm russian :)

I'm keen on IRC and I spend 24 hours a day in it. Not less I'm keen on my Nintendo DS. And no doubt, after the appearance of "dswifi lib" I was waiting for a good IRC client. Some clients appeared at last, but they seemed being made
anyhow. They were suitable just to connect to IRC from DS once, impress and forget about the program. They seemed to be very inconvenient and unfinished, to say nothing of absence of Russian in-out (Yes, I'm russian). So I set myself the
task of creating a new client for DS, which would be practically as convenient as IRC clients for desktop PC. Truth to tell, I met some difficulties connected with screen size. It's quite impossible to place on DS screens a list of
channels, a nick list, the chat itself and a keyboard display simultaneously. Switch buttons of these modes would also take large place. I tried some variants and decided that the good-enough solution is to make just one switch button: tap
it by stylus, hold - and then icons appear, drag stylus to a required icon and release. So the switching can be realized just by one shift of stylus or by buttons. Besides I wanted others to like this program, especially those who don't know what IRC is. That's why I suggest that they should use minimum of primary settings. You shouldn't even enter your nickname - it would be taken automatically from DS settings. Just connect to an access point and go ahead!
But I digressed from the topic. Well, what was finally made?

* A clipboard in all dialog boxes. You can even copy from upper screen, holding "L" button.
* Using up to three servers at the same time.
* DCC chat support and file transfer by DCC in both directions (I really don't know what for, but in fact :))
* Storing of logs directly to flash.
* Identification of server answers by numbers. I.e. not an interface only but the great deal of server answers is in English for non-english servers).
* An alternative mode of nicklist request. Now you can see user's "away" status plus a complete list of his modes on server.
* Flexible settings of colors, highlights, etc.
* The prototype of scripts for advanced users. You can set commands, which will be executed after opening or closing of DS (turn away automatically, for example). You can previously make a list of commands for channels, privates and nick list, where the appropriate variables will be substituted as well. I.e. mIRC popups' analog :)
* All settings can be changed during a program work - it's no need to bother with ini files.
* Something like multitasking. At the same time you can download several files by DCC, get a list of channels and chat. Practically all tasks are working simultaneously, except the moment of connection.
* Russian in/out and interface (only for Russian version).

So, you can download latest english version here: http://clusterrr.com/dump/soft/ClIRC-0.04-english.zip
Homepage: http://clusterrr.com/
Read manual carefully :)

Please, send me any bugreports and english laguage mistakes :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Multiple servers: I am there.
I have been leaving my DS to idle on IRC ever since the whole power bill fiasco (note to others massive games rig: not needed for IRC idling.)

File transfer is nice, especially as DSCompress added zip and auto/DS side DLDI patching exists.

Edit: Had a chance to try it out.

Multiple servers: thanks a lot. I really wanted this feature.
Customisation: fantastic, I am more than happy to live without the cushy stuff as it can be replicated easily enough. Stuff like autorejoin channels on kick is great. It is going to take me a lot longer to go through the rest of the options.

Gripes: Keyboard is all in capitals, easy enough to deal with (I should imagine the shift options you have in place are already enough) but it is noticeable. Stuff like the join shortcuts: fantastic.

Menu: for some reason I do not like the hold and drag option but I can see no other way.

Lid options: on by default. Not my personal preference but an easy user side fix.

SSL: I can not say I ever use it on PC but I can dream.

As for pictures I can not seem to find my camera.

In short: I am pretty sure my PC client (trillian) is less featured and I guess you get an early entry into 2008 app of the year from me.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Although DSorganize already has an irc client in it this looks very promising and when I start going on irc again I will definitely give this a try.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Woah! sounds really awesome man. especially like the DCC transfer
smile.gif

thank you very much. will test now.

janitormane

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep up the good work, definitely the most complete irc for ds. The layout is pretty inconvenient though. Holding menu, and switching to each thing feels disconnected. Like im launching a settings "app" etc.

At least I have dcc on my ds!

IRCDS: all the features accessible by tiny icons on right hand side.
screenshotpi2.png

============================================

CLIRC quick vid:

NetShira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I find the navigation on this system nicer from an "Out of my view" perspective. I like to use the menu only when I need it.. everything else is available with the left/right directions(thumbpad). Very impressive... I never would have thought IRC would be this well done on the DS.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a really professional homebrew. I like how you added all the sounds! Like when someone says your nickname it you hear 'Hey!'

Critiques: ugly fonts and the navigation can be somewhat awkward. But very well done!

janitormane

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After using clirc for MANY hours, I've discovered I can't live

without it, Having the ability to log on to Aim, MSN, and Yahoo on

one server AND still use irc is unrivaled on ds.

I hope you continue to work on it.

Some observations:

1. Scrolling.

If you want to scroll up or down it only does so 1 line at a time!

This is very frustrating when in a very active channel.
Also when listing a fserve, some will list a 1000 files! That

means I would have to tap up 1000 times to read the first file and

again to go back down again.
--
Perhaps the addition of a scrollbar when holding
L-trigger. So then you could scroll and copy in the same action.

2. Recall what you just typed

Ok a few times I have been typing a lengthy message and accidently

tapped the /msg or /join button and erased all my hard tapping.
Is there a way to bring my message back?

Minor:
3. You can't use Dpad on request channel list. Using the stylus to

scroll on larger servers like efnet is tricky.

4. DCC transfer says baat? Instead of bytes (english version)
5. Close current window. When I get a spam pm I would prefer not

going to window manager just to close it.
6. Should add # automatically unless specified.5

Just some things I've noticed.

Thanks

cybermind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice app. One suggestion: can you add another variable, %ME% for example, for use in the autoperform commands (or anywhere)? It would obviously be replaced by your own nickname, so I can do /mode %ME% +x to set myself +x.
Alternatively, a command like /umode would be nice which would set modes on yourself without having to know your own name (like in xchat), so I can do /umode +x to set myself +x.

This is much better than SylphIRC, IRCDS, and DSOrganize's client. Keep up the good work
smile.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
This is the best IRC client I have used for my NDS. It is really easy to set up and get you online. I have had no issues with it and have had a lot of fun chatting with friends under my nds nick =P.

I would love to see a nick complete through the keypad. mIRC has the "tab" key that will complete a nick based on the nick list. It is great for doing /whois and also wonderful when directing a comment at a specific person in a busy channel. It would make peck typing with my stylus that much easier if I didn't have to type the nickname each time.

I would also like to see support for the other allowed IRC nickname characters. I have a friend who uses "|" in his nick, but this character is not supported so I can't whois him by typing his nickname.

I'm not to worried about spam but a way to block private message windows all together or a more advanced scripting system so I can close private message windows that contain "http:", "www.", etc, would be just brilliant =).

Finally a way to recall the last thing I typed like how the "up" arrow functions in irc, pulling the last few lines of text that you typed from the buffer. Sometimes it is easier than peck typing the same message with my stylus.

Dream features would be a DCC Fserv, More elaborate scripting, an Mp3 player.... But lets all agree that this app is for *chatting* on IRC and it does it so well!!

One final note: I am unable to boot this from my m3 lite. I have properly patched the file and it boots to black screen. I am only able to run it if I boot it from within moonshell. I am not sure what the issue is but I had the same problem with other homebrew apps.

Great Job, best homebrew I have used.

-AW

Cluster

OP
Trophies
Website
clusterrr.com
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
New version is released =D

Changes:
Keyboard is faster now.
Nick autocomplete on "tab".
Scrolling acceleration (hold up or down).
Special mode for left handed people.
Distance from keyboard to /me, /join, /nick and /msg buttons increased.
Input history (press X+Up and X+Down to browse it).
/clear command.
Host on join.
Top screen scrolling using stylus.
/ignore command
smile.gif

%ME% variable
Custom timestamp.
Compiled with new libwifi and libfat.
New default settings.
Many bugfixes.

Download it at http://clusterrr.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1