Hacking Clearing up a Misconception about SDXC cards update

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your testing is skewed and not in a good way, the problem and confusion that is going on is:
If you do NOT have the newest Firmware and you insert a card that requires the update, does it also update your Firmware to the newest version?

Many have said yes, some have said no. That is the confusion. What you are describing is not relevant as both times you were at the latest Firmware so it only pulled in the update for the SDCard.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I just successfully installed the exfat driver (without updating!) on my 3.0.2 Switch using (Google translated) link.
You only need a game with an update on it which is the same version as your console, I used "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox".

This works as appearently the exfat update is on all cartridges (with a system update on it), it just doens't get installed unless Nintendo marked your Switch. This only happens when you insert an exfat formatted sd card and accept the update.

The only thing I didn't fully understand (as it was Google translated) is:

But it still works, as it was optional, maybe @rajkosto could comment if that would be needed or not.

wow this is HUGE news
hope I’m reading this right
this should be pinned or something

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
- (Optional) We repeat the operation with BCPKG2-1-Normal-Sub using the same file BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main.bin.

But it still works, as it was optional [...]
Google's translation is accurate in this case. The optional step asks you to replace a second file (BCPKG2-1-Normal-Sub) using the previously patched one.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
all firmwares since 2.0.0 (and no firmwares) contain the exFAT support, it depends on how you get it and what NCA gets installed as package2
Not sure what you mean but obviously not every firmware update contains the exFAT support. I have heard people specifically say that 5.x includes it though.

rajkosto

Trophies
XP
Country
Only because thats the firmware they got when they pressed update from the SDXC prompt.
If you did it when 2.0.0 latest you would get 2.0.0 with exFAT.
Stock 5.0.x does not contain exFAT and thats unlikely to change for any future firmware, unless nintendo changes their licencing model with microsoft.

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
1. its not an SDXC cards update, it's an exFAT update that only shows up if you have exFAT as your first partition on the microsd
2. since exFAT requires paying royalties to microsoft, none of the firmware versions come with a kernel (package2) that supports it by default, it requires phoning home to nintendo to get the licence and new package2 (which will just update you to latest firmware if you arent on it already)
there is a package2 with exFAT support for each firmware version since 2.0.0, it doesnt require the latest one, but nintendo will only send you the latest one because why would they want you to be running old stuff ?
@SomeGamer, if you actually have a 1.0.0 with exFAT support you should share your nand dump (without PRODINFO stuff to keep your certs safe) because nobody has had that before

The games with 1.0.0 firmware like Zelda have a update partition and inside of it are the exfat package2. I extracted it but I don't have a 1.0.0 switch to try it. I also tried the same method with a 3.0.2 console and works.

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just successfully installed the exfat driver (without updating!) on my 3.0.2 Switch using (Google translated) link.
You only need a game with an update on it which is the same version as your console, I used "Penny.Punching.Princess.NSW-BigBlueBox".

This works as appearently the exfat update is on all cartridges (with a system update on it), it just doens't get installed unless Nintendo marked your Switch. This only happens when you insert an exfat formatted sd card and accept the update.

But it still works, as it was optional, maybe @rajkosto could comment if that would be needed or not.

I'm the author of this tutorial. This step is optional because the switch have two copies of the package2 partition the second one only is used if the first one are corrupted or have some problem. Don't need to inyect it to make it works but if you like to have the two partitions with the same content like in the official state you can inyect it.

You can't use that package2.
It's signed/encrypted for devkits, not retail consoles.

Ok ok, it's a shame.

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't use that package2.
It's signed/encrypted for devkits, not retail consoles.

That's a shame. quite a few of us are on 1.0.0 and are stuck

edit:
I've learnt there is no exfat drive for 1.0.0 except a dev one that requires dev keys. so no exfat drive for 1.0.0 ever

Last edited by charlieb,

i4ybrid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP is wrong, I just went from 4.1.0 to 5.0.2 cause of this post cause I wanted the SDXC update. Oh well, I would have needed SDXC support no matter what, so that kind of blows.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
OP is wrong, I just went from 4.1.0 to 5.0.2 cause of this post cause I wanted the SDXC update. Oh well, I would have needed SDXC support no matter what, so that kind of blows.

Read the whole thread, there is a way to get exFAT support while staying on 4.1.
The OP was updated with an edit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste