Hacking Cleaning Nintendo DS lite

gunsnlove

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I have a polar white DS lite and on the sides of the plastic covering, there are dirt and I want to clean it. Does anyone know how to clean the DS plastic covering? I heard that you have to take it off to clean it. Also, I am trying to clean the soft edges near the L/R buttons. Thanks for your help!

Basic Info:
~Trying to clean the sides inside the plastic covering (naturally found on the DS and the bottom, its transparent, clear and plasticish)
~Trying to clean the soft stops/edges near the L/R Buttons (looks like small soft squares)

EDIT:

Here are the pictures

http://img9.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img000037.jpg (imageshack)
Do you see the dirt across the line? Thats where I want to clean. And also the square soft thingy.
rolleyes.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gunsnlove said:
Hi, I have a polar white DS lite and on the sides of the plastic covering, there are dirt and I want to clean it. Does anyone know how to clean the DS plastic covering? I heard that you have to take it off to clean it. Also, I am trying to clean the soft edges near the L/R buttons. Thanks for your help!

Basic Info:
~Trying to clean the sides inside the plastic covering (naturally found on the DS and the bottom, its transparent, clear and plasticish)
~Trying to clean the soft stops/edges near the L/R Buttons (looks like small soft squares)

EDIT:

Here are the pictures

http://img9.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img000037.jpg (imageshack)
Do you see the dirt across the line? Thats where I want to clean. And also the square soft thingy.
rolleyes.gif

You can't afaik without breaking it apart!

..Also Have a polar white one here also same problem very visible dirt between the lite and the hard plastic coating that's on the out side of the ds ... and you cannot separate the two without forcing it and probably breaking it... they are glued in there
frown.gif

Cobalt Black is the best color ds lite to have or maby the really dark blue as you can't see the dirt in those! ... Any other colors such as pink,green,light blue and most of all white it stands out clearly
frown.gif

Only solution that I know of is a complete case change which is not a simple job if your not confident with fiddly jobs!

raskal549

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've had 4 coral pinks and 2 white DS's and they have all had that problem. YES, the skinny area of clear plastic, where the dirt collects, can be cleaned. but it involves fully dismantling your DS Lite. everytime i buy a used DSL, i fully disassemble and wipe everything with those tiny isopropel alchohol wipes. it will look brand new again. use your finger nail with the wipes to get into the corner, where the dirt sits. for the areas like the power and volume switch and headphone jack, use a Q-tip made for babies and dip it in alchohol. after wiping everything down, let it air out for a couple of minutes before putting it back together

bejiman

Trophies
XP
Country
DSL manual says you can't use alcohol and use neutral detergent instead. Any damage that would make the DS look ugly? Any example of a neutral detergent or how to make one?

masbass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You can look in Google for "alcohol free window cleaner"

http://www.google.gr/search?q=alcohol+free+window+cleaner

I recently got a pink dslite on ebay for 20 euros (pinks sell real cheap) and did a shell change to black:
a) it's real messy in there and you might mess things up a lot (especially the ribbon cable that connects top to bottom is a real pain)
b) those chinese knock-off shells they sell on ebay are badly molded and their screws don't grip well all of the time.

Then again, if you're patient and have a large table to spread things around, the shell change makes it look like new and as kobykaan says the dirt doesn't show so much (finger smudges do though on the glossy outside).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F