Clean vs Modified ROMs on r4 sdhc Snoopy

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Cyborgmenace3k21, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    So I got an r4 SDHC Snoopy flashcart and it works fine, but I spent almost 2 weeks modifying a Pokemon HeartGold ROM and made sure to test it on both no$gba and DESmuMe every step of the way and it does. But when I put the ROM on my SD card, it never gets past the white screens after the initial load. Clean ROM works fine too. Would love to know why it works on PC but not my r4, and if there's any sort of fix.

2. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    How heavy did you modify it?

3. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Nothing visual at all, didn't add or remove any story or out of battle content either. Just reworded some text, modified wild Pokemon, trainers and gym leaders all higher levels and more/different Pokemon than they had. Didn't think it was too much honestly just time consuming. The file itself is smaller in size too so I'm quite perplexed

4. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    That's weird. If a cart can run heavily modified ROMs (3D remaps and such) I don't think it should have any problem running other modified ROMs. Try using another microSD card.

5. Elton D. Tiglao

Elton D. Tiglao Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    in my experience rf sdhc snoopy is very sensitive. Sometimes when I copy roms in the card it fails but when i recopy again it works ( i still don't know tho).
    Try recopying the rom again until it works

6. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    I guess I only copied it a couple times and trying more can't hurt but I have more than once already.
    I sadly thought of this, I have a 16 and 2gb respectively of different makers and they both run the clean game fine as well as white screen on my mod, very discouraging considering the wait time of China shipping to the US just so I could play on the go.

7. Elton D. Tiglao

Elton D. Tiglao Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    have u tried formatting your sd card as explained on the website?
    the one where you need to use sdformatter thing, and that procedure is not optional

the problem is just the way the card reads the sd card, not the software itself to run ds roms

Last edited by Elton D. Tiglao, Apr 22, 2016
  8. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    yes, i formatted both of them just to ensure i got the r4 software to run, which it does smoothly. as long as i dont play my modified file, it works with any ROM ive used so far. If only i knew how to make all my changes into a patch file like the pros do.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i think i remember seeing a video with someone using an application to format the sd card instead of normal windows, but it was in chinese iirc so i didnt look into it(could have just been because he was chinese though). could this be what you mean?

9. Elton D. Tiglao

Elton D. Tiglao Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    yeah but there is an english version and just try to click what the image is clicking. And to make sure that you are doing it right the format time must be very long (the same as disabling quick format when formatting usb or something)

10. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Use SDFormatter v4. Set the settings to Full (Overwrite) and turn format size adjustment on.
    The cart itself is not that good which is why not many of us recommend it here. You could use a different menu.

11. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    well fudge now i just have to find that video in my history... LOL

Will do, glad to hear things i havent tried before, hope it works. Oh and i have wood r4 installed but that didnt change anything either, but if its more optimal for poor ol snoop, ill default to wood, thanks for the heads up

Last edited by Cyborgmenace3k21, Apr 22, 2016
  12. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    okay well when i try to run them on wood r4 i get an error on both, clean or modified. Saying:

init fat succ
    fat0:/game directory/
    load (game directory) fail

13. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    From what I know, your cart can only run a modified version of Wood. Try using RetroGameFan's multi cart menu

14. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Well it works real nice thanks for the menu recommendation, the ROMs dont error anymore, but now were back to the clean working and my slightly modified one white screening

15. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Congrats on getting RGF's YSMenu to work! Can you try another ROM hack? Try Drayano's Pokemon SacredGold. It's a hack of Pokemon HeartGold. Would it be possible for you to capture a video of the error before and during it occurs?

16. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Sure ill give a known to work modded one a try and i guess you can watch my evidence.zip

video running clean A-OK

letting me down 2016

nxwing likes this.
  17. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Try running a ROM Hack and see if it works. What classes do your microSD cards have?

18. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    had to get my hands on a clean rom to patch, but once i did it, SacredGold works. If only i could get my own to do the same

Edit: the sacred gold patcher allowed me to create my own patch of what i changed and i think it worked cuz every clean one i patch works in emulators but not on my flashcart like sacred gold

2nd edit: I do not know what you mean by classes of my SD card? Ones a 16gb sandisk microsdhcI 4; and the other is kingston 2gb microsd

Last edited by Cyborgmenace3k21, Apr 22, 2016
  19. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    They're the numbers inside circles.

20. Cyborgmenace3k21
    OP

Cyborgmenace3k21 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    well the 16gb has a 4, but the kingston 2gb is pretty old (like 2010) and i dont even see a number in a partial circle on it