Gaming clarification required

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho!

Through a series of bizarre events I've found myself in possession of twenty quid which I don't actually need. All my bills are paid, I have more than sufficient in what's now known as 'the Jess Fund', I can afford to waste this with virtually no consequences. I've been considering what I want and I've settled on my desire to get Final Fantasy's 8+9 in some way. Now, I could get them in their original PS1 forms off eBay, but eBay has never been kind to me so chances are I'd end up paying through my third eye for them, and then finding out they don't work. PS1 games are easily disabled with just a few scratches after all. So that wouldn't be my first choice.

I have CFW installed on my PSP 1000, 5.50 Prometheus to be precise. From what I understand the PSN version of FF8 causes problems and requires some alterations. I believe I have the facilities to perform said alterations (the PSX2PSP program allows me to change the ID code, if memory serves, and I have the latest Popsloader variant) so that's not a problem. What I want to know is as follows:

- Is it even possible to alter the ID code on the PSN version, assuming I download it to my laptop via MediaGo. Any protection I need to be aware of?
- I understand FF9 works fine (kinda random since that was released after 8, but whatever, go with it). Is this the case?
- I have a 4GB card. Will that be sufficient to hold both of them? As I understand it, FF8 is 1800MB and FF9 is 1500MB, but as I recall there's some rule about allowing extra space for the transfer. Will I be able to put them both on my card, assuming there's basically nothing else on there?
- I have PSNLover installed and I can access PSN, but I quite often get error messages about my wi-fi being switched off when it's clearly not. If I'm downloading through MediaGo, I just transfer the files via USB, right? Bypassing the problem entirely instead of going through my PSP or PS3.

In case you're wondering, I'm not downloading them for free because I've never found a decent site to get them from. All the links I find are either broken, virus infested, or in German. Nothing helpful. Ergo I may as well stick to the PSN versions, saves time. Even if it does kinda ruin the point of having CFW installed...
frown.gif

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I can't alter the PSN version of FF8 then? Bollocks. That complicates things. Saves me 20 quid though, I suppose. Just means I need to find a link that A) works, B) is in English, C) doesn't require me to pay sign up fees, and D) won't take the best part of a year to download.

Ironic that it'll work if I steal it but not if I actually pay for it. And they wonder why people choose piracy.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Either Convert PSX images (easily found), find the PSN version uploaded by someone for you to try, or find the eboot version already converted.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There are eboots already out there, but only on torrent sites. All the downloads I find come in about 40 segments and would take me days to download. With that in mind I'm just gonna buy FF9 using MediaGo and that'll hopefully hold my attention until I can get Josh the Lay Bastard to download 8 via torrent for me.

Final confirmation: The version of FF9 currently on the EU PSN will work on CFW 5.50 Prometheus, yes or no? Would rather get absolute confirmation before potentially wasting 8 quid.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
There are PSN Uploads of both those games easily available via direct download hosts uploaded by an English speaking person with nothing to to with torrents at all. Plus they're easy to find.

Also 13 or 14 parts i believe...40 is ludicrous.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh. Typical. I found what appears to be the single eboot of the PSN version of FF9, saves me 8 quid. It says 'click the say thanks button at the bottom left to view download link'. I am a member of this particular website, have been since Nostalgia on DS came out, but lo and behold the thanks button has mysteriously vanished. WTF?

Also, have given up trying to find FF8 anywhere. So there's a copy on eBay, all four disks, box and manual, all in great condition, will cost me about the same as the PSN version, with just a couple of quid extra for P+P, but the disks are pretty rare in these parts so I guess that's fine. Can always rip and convert it myself if I win, or just play it through my PS2 and save my PSP mem card space for FF9. Only a couple of hours to go and I'm winning thus far.

Cue some douche outbidding me.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
As for the first problem, i've had a friend moan about that particular issue. He just had to read the topics he was forced to and he fixed it.

FF8 is on there too....

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read every topic the mods have forced me in to. Still won't let me do anything. Truth be told I'd rather have the disks anyway when it comes to the FF games since they take up a huge chunk of my memory card. If I win the FF8 auction I can afford to have 9 on my mem card since that has no technical issues with the PSN version.

I have MediaGo now, I'll give google another half hour of searching for a free version of 9 and if that fails I'll just buy the PSN version.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried that, didn't help. Still won't let me say thanks. So I'm about to spend 8 quid on the PSN version of FF9. Which leaves me with the money I need to get FF8 from eBay and a couple of quid left over for cake. So the PSN version of FF9 will DEFINATELY work with 5.50 Prometheus, right? Sorry if I'm just being paranoid but it's rare I have money, would rather not waste it.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haven't seen a definitive YES for those particular games yet

although I can guarantee that if you're patient and you take the time to make them yourself while checking the pops compatibility list and the sticky on this board your games will work fine.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean I have to be the guinnea pig? God damn it, always the poor people that get experimented on...

Screw it, worst case scenario by paying for it on PSN it becomes available on up to five active systems, so if there's trouble on the PSP then I'll use the PS3 instead, gives me an excuse to kick my little brother off War For Cybertron. He can't fly for shit, his aiming is looser than Coventry women, and generally watching him play anything is an embarrassment. I'd relish an excuse to kick him off the system.

Bought the PSN version of 9, downloading now via MediaGo, will prob download it on the PS3 too, just to be on the safe side. Waiting the last hour and half for my eBay thing to finish with FF8, still winning at the moment, will post with the final score once known. Thanks anyway for the help, but it seems that in this case paying is the easier option. Won't stop me stealing my PSP games and smaller PS1 games though
smile.gif

With that in mind, I'm gonna go play my half-inched CSO of Soul Calibur Broken Destiny while I wait for my FF9 download.

EDIT: Despite giving me an error message at the end of the transfer from MediaGo to my PSP, FF9 seems to be working thus far. There's no sound during the intro vid for some reason. Will continue to test and post updated results as they become available. Also transferring it to my PS3 so at least I have a backup plan.

Also about to win the FF8 auction. 16mins to go at time of writing and I'm winning.

EDIT2: Can confirm lack of sound in FF9 intro vid is endemic to PSP firmware as it plays fine on my PS3. And I won FF8 on eBay. £10.51 inc.P+P, not bad for all four disks and all the trimmings in mint condition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv