dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi, if it isn't too much trouble I would just like to ask a few simple questions I have about the current state of Wii softmodding. I do know what I am doing for the most part with my Wii (I have a 4.2U w/ USB Loader HBC DARKCORP etc.), but I do have some questions to which I have been unable to find definitive and current answers.

1) Since 4.0, do SDHC cards work on par with SD for homebrew and in the System Menu?

2) I read that cMIOS can only save to third party memory cards, is this true? And does it hurt to have saves from backups as well as original GC games on the same 3rd party card?

3) Is there a way to make ALL homebrew apps read from the FAT partition on my HDD rather than my SD card (ie. HBC and emus)? I'd rather find out before my slow computer takes 45 minutes copying my NES roms folder :/

Sorry if these questions are simple, I HAVE searched multiple Wii sources for answers, but I would really appreciate it if somebody could answer some of these.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kimikal27 said:
have you searched??? REALLY??????
or are you just not good at searching????

u need to learn some searching skills...
Yes, I have searched, REALLY. 'u need to learn some non-trolling skills...' If the questions I have posted are really THAT easy to answer, why couldn't you have answered them instead of flaming? I have found answers to all of these questions, but most of them are outdated, or directly conflict with other answers I have found. For example, all the information I have found about GCBL saving is in regards to Xi or Theta, and I haven't been able to find any information on the state of memory card saving with either Wiigator's .2 or Waninkoko's cMIOS. Also, I have found conflicting answers about SDHC support. I have read multiple times that SDHC should be supported in almost every homebrew and should be supported in the Wii menu on 4.2. However, I have also read about emus not recognizing SDHC cards with too many files on them, or installers such as DARKCORP 1.0 not working if the wads are on an SDHC card. Again, the information I have found may be outdated or even untrue, which is why I have asked for clarification on these issues from the most reputable Wii hacking source...

I admit that the third question is due to me just being lazy and not wanting to spend time copying things to my drive to test
rolleyes.gif
, but if this is what you were referring to I would very much appreciate it if you could still answer my other two questions, which I believe are entirely warranted and legitimate.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dmonkey21 said:
I have read multiple times that SDHC should be supported in almost every homebrew and should be supported in the Wii menu on 4.2. However, I have also read about emus not recognizing SDHC cards with too many files on them, or installers such as DARKCORP 1.0 not working if the wads are on an SDHC card. Again, the information I have found may be outdated or even untrue, which is why I have asked for clarification on these issues from the most reputable Wii hacking source...

There is probably software that hasn't been updated since SDHC cards were supported by homebrew. So it depends on what you want to run.
4.2 does work with SDHC though.

Alot of homebrew supports loading from USB, although if you have a problematic USB drive then some homebrew will not work while others will. Some homebrew doesn't even try to use USB, so it depends on what you want to run.

OTOH I don't use an SD card at all.

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
I use a first-party card and all my GCN saves work perfectly. Never even heard of such an issue until now.
Okay thanks I guess there is no issue anymore? I just wanted to be careful. Unless I've completely gone insane I think with the initial release of .1 and with Theta a 3rd party card was required. In the Xi changelog it lists 'memory card fix', I guess that was to fix this issue? All I know is when I switched from theta to Xi my Luigi's mansion and WarioWare saves became corrupted
frown.gif
, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be damaging my save files this time around, sorry if this was a noob question.

Also, I guess switching to SDHC shouldnt have too terrible consequences, so i think i'll be using my 8GB from now on
smile.gif

Thanks for all your help answering these questions.

hersuri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Only issue with SDHC is that some homebrew hasn't been programmed to work with it, and some games that normally interface with SD cards won't recognise it (SSBB, for instance).

dmonkey21

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hersuri said:
Only issue with SDHC is that some homebrew hasn't been programmed to work with it, and some games that normally interface with SD cards won't recognise it (SSBB, for instance).
Oh i see... so if I use an SDHC card could I still use custom stages or no?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o