Homebrew Question Citra for switch retroarch issue

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi people, just installed Citra core to my Switch Retroarch (running on CFW).
Started playing the game Samus Returns (3DS) but I can't seem to control my character at all. I can navigate and press buttons on the Bottom Screen but the top screen doesn't respond to any of my button pushes except R (which changes which gun Samus will fire). Can't move Samus or anything.
Have reset the controls to default for Citra core.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Reactions: osaka35

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi people, just installed Citra core to my Switch Retroarch (running on CFW).
Started playing the game Samus Returns (3DS) but I can't seem to control my character at all. I can navigate and press buttons on the Bottom Screen but the top screen doesn't respond to any of my button pushes except R (which changes which gun Samus will fire). Can't move Samus or anything.
Have reset the controls to default for Citra core.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Don't double post

https://gbatemp.net/index.php?posts/9549500

WhoIAm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it the only game with that problem? Do all buttons work fine in other games?

If you've only tried SR then I can guess at what the problem might be: SR only allows you to move using the analog stick, not the d-pad. For some reason, RetroArch's default controls map the Switch's analog stick to the 3DS d-pad. You need to go into RetroArch's input settings and select "RetroPad w/ analog" (I don't remember the exact name of the option or its location, but I think this was it). Then it should work.

Reactions: osaka35

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm, I can download another game and try to answer your first question later today. Currently I only have the one game.

Meanwhile, I looked into the Device Type in Port 1 Controls - the options are RetroPad, Nintendo 3DS, or None.
I tried all three options and no change.

Here's an interesting clarification of the problem: when I swap to the bottom screen, I can navigate the game menu using the analogue stick and the d-pad. Both work fine!
But when I'm in the top screen, as I said the R button works but none of the others do.. :/

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Is it the only game with that problem? Do all buttons work fine in other games?

If you've only tried SR then I can guess at what the problem might be: SR only allows you to move using the analog stick, not the d-pad. For some reason, RetroArch's default controls map the Switch's analog stick to the 3DS d-pad. You need to go into RetroArch's input settings and select "RetroPad w/ analog" (I don't remember the exact name of the option or its location, but I think this was it). Then it should work.

Update: I tried a different 3DS ROM (Shovel Knight) and it works just fine.
So then I downloaded the USA version of Samus returns (instead of the Euro version) and it has the same issue as the Euro version did.
So, something about this game in particular is not talking to Citra properly, perhaps?

WhoIAm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I finally got back to my Switch and was able to look at the options myself.

Try this: while Samus Returns is running, press + and - at the same time to enter the Quick Menu. Scroll down to Controls, then select "Port 1 Controls". Make sure Device Type is "RetroPad", and Analog to Digital Type is "Left Analog." This last part is the setting I was talking about earlier: for some reason it was set to "None" by default, which made the analog stick do nothing. Try setting it to Left Analog if you haven't already and see if it works.

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Alright so I finally got back to my Switch and was able to look at the options myself.

Try this: while Samus Returns is running, press + and - at the same time to enter the Quick Menu. Scroll down to Controls, then select "Port 1 Controls". Make sure Device Type is "RetroPad", and Analog to Digital Type is "Left Analog." This last part is the setting I was talking about earlier: for some reason it was set to "None" by default, which made the analog stick do nothing. Try setting it to Left Analog if you haven't already and see if it works.
Thanks, yeah didn't work though. I've tried that combination of settings and a few others as well, for those two options. No luck yet

WhoIAm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, sorry that didn't work. How well does Samus Returns run on Switch in terms of performance? I've been meaning to give the game a shot, and if it runs decently then I can try to get things working on my Switch, and let you know if I figure it out.

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ah, sorry that didn't work. How well does Samus Returns run on Switch in terms of performance? I've been meaning to give the game a shot, and if it runs decently then I can try to get things working on my Switch, and let you know if I figure it out.
Cheers, that would be amazing!
It seemed a bit jumpy at regular CPU speed but at maximum overclock it looks smoother for sure. Hard to tell when I can't get past the opening scene but yeah... Looks like a great game alright. Need a link to the ROM?

WhoIAm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers, that would be amazing!
It seemed a bit jumpy at regular CPU speed but at maximum overclock it looks smoother for sure. Hard to tell when I can't get past the opening scene but yeah... Looks like a great game alright. Need a link to the ROM?

No worries, I already dumped a copy so I just needed to transfer it to my console. After trying it a bit, the game doesn't seem to have any issues on my end, I can move Samus around and do everything just fine. You mentioned you had the input set to RetroPad and Left Analog right? Unfortunately I'm not sure what else could possibly be the cause, this is definitely a strange glitch.

Maybe try sourcing the game from somewhere else? I'm just grasping at straws here but maybe the file is a bad dump of some kind?

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
No worries, I already dumped a copy so I just needed to transfer it to my console. After trying it a bit, the game doesn't seem to have any issues on my end, I can move Samus around and do everything just fine. You mentioned you had the input set to RetroPad and Left Analog right? Unfortunately I'm not sure what else could possibly be the cause, this is definitely a strange glitch.

Maybe try sourcing the game from somewhere else? I'm just grasping at straws here but maybe the file is a bad dump of some kind?
Huh, crazy! Well that's good to know at least. Funny, both the US and the EU version did the same thing... and I even tried a clean install of retroarch..
I will definitely try finding another copy from a different source tomorrow and let you know.
Enjoy the game anyway :D gotta get all four in before Dread comes out

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

Dang, can't seem to find a copy that works. The only other copy I found that works, seems to be the same as the one I was using before, as it loaded the same save file, and encountered the same issue with control.
Haven't got a link to your working copy have you?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, can't seem to find a copy that works. The only other copy I found that works, seems to be the same as the one I was using before, as it loaded the same save file, and encountered the same issue with control.
Haven't got a link to your working copy have you?
No piracy

KiwiSwitcher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
:yay3ds::yay3ds::yay3ds::yay3ds::yay3ds::yay3ds::yay3ds:
I figured it ouuuttttttttttttttt :))))

For some reason I had to set the 'Analog to Digital Type' to either 'none' or 'Right Analog' (in the Port 1 Controls) - 'Left Analog' was the one that messed everything up...!
Go figure!
Thanks for all the suggestions anyway people. Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2