ciso made by wii back up tool?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by ulao, Jan 9, 2013.

Jan 9, 2013

ciso made by wii back up tool? by ulao at 3:03 PM (602 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. ulao
    OP

Newcomer ulao Member

United States
    So are the ciso files made be wii back up tool really ciso files? I took about 50 wbfs files and converted to ciso and they are all the same size. I was pretty certain ciso files where going to be much smaller in size? So I then tried to download the various ciso tools out there and they all crash on compress. So ciso better compression then wbfs or not? Also what is the compression level in the wii back up tool, any way to change it?

thx !

2. ulao
    OP

Newcomer ulao Member

United States
    ok I finally found a tool ( ciso-xp ) that made an cso file. Turns out the file I made is way smaller then the wii back up tool made. So I guess that answered that. My OS is win7 64bit, wondering if that is way most tools crash? This ciso-xp only does one file at a time, anyone know of a tool that may work on win7 64bit?

3. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    ciso is rather obscure
    on top of that there are at least two different formats that call themself ciso iirc
    I don't think you will find many tools for that

easiest way will probably be to use a tool that calls ciso-xp one time for each input file
    (I would use finds -exec or xargs or a simple shell for loop
    no idea what you windows guys use for that)

edit:
    the windows shell aparently supports for loops
    something along the lines of
    for /F %x in ('dir /B/D folder\*.iso') do ( echo %x )
    should probably do the trick

4. ulao
    OP

Newcomer ulao Member

United States
    Thx for the info, turns out ciso-xp is full of bugs. It errors out a lot. the main issue with the tools is the size. Looks like > 2gb files are not supported. I guess ciso/cso is still too young but I would sure love to use it.

5. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    I would simply stick to .wbfs files
    None of the formats loaders can read are actually compressed
    the only thing they potentially do is stripping out the unused data
    either via a special file format (.wbfs) or by overwriting it with zeroes to use sparse files on fs that support that (.iso on ntfs or ext234 but not fat32)

no idea what ciso does exactly

for real compression look into wiimm's tools (sig)
    they support some formats that compress but can only be used for archival purposes

6. ulao
    OP

Newcomer ulao Member

United States
    My interest in ciso is that its a compressed format that is playable with no uncompressed. wbfs is no better then GCZ so no need to convert to yet. The wbfs is much much smaller in size then GCz.