Homebrew ciso, gcz or wbfs?

Hand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I want to compress my GC/Wii games and keep them fast on Dolphin.
What is the best compression format?

wbfs has the best compression, but I am not sure, because some people say that the compression is not lossless. I want a lossless and be able to restore the raw iso format; because I want to check the file integrity and I want to be able to use patches (including translation patches), therefore a clean iso is required.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe what you are going to need is one of Wiimm's ISO tools. You may have better luck posting your question here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/wwt-wit-wiimms-wbfs-iso-tools.182236/).

Here is what limited information I know. Wii games and GameCube games are full of garbage data to use up all the space on the disc. The wbfs format doesn't compress the game. It just removes the garbage data keeping the main game files in tact making it so you can still play the game. But if you are trying to check your game against something like redump.com the wbfs file will never match. Plus I don't know if there is a way to add back that garbage data and still have it match.

I don't know about the other formats you mentioned. I never used or heard of them. I do remember reading that Wiimm did have an idea that compressed Wii games very well but that the process of compressing and uncompressing the game took so long that it made it not worth it unless you were doing it strictly for storage and not for playing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but hopefully I was able to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Hand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)