Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hello i am nexus,

I Was given a netbook for christmas and it does not fit any of my needs and limits me so i am looking for a new laptop to replace it with. The new laptop has to have the specs below

The Graphics Card Must Be 1 gig or more and cant be intergrated

I would like it to have either 1.5 or 1.6 inch screen

Quad core prosser

MUST HAVE 6 gigs of ram or better

hdmi port

wireless

Things i want it to have but dosent have to have

3 or more usb ports

Vga port XD

I Would be playing these games

Minecraft

terraria

halo

halo 2

and it has to have windows 7 on it cant be starter either

Thankz

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your specs seem a little too high for what you want to play.....

you could go with dual core

4gb ram and 1gb gpu and still handle what you want..... (aslong as you dont get an intel gpu)

but if you want slightly better specs

get

quadcore 2.3ghz AMD or Intel
4GB ram (hopefully DDR3 or something not too slow)
1GB GPU (that means graphics card if you dont know)
decent hardrive size

from experience the above (2nd optionn) can easily handle what you want too play.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know none of those games benefit from more than 2 cores. Shit just can't magically use more cores, it has to be coded from the ground up to do it properly, and even then it has to be a task that can benefit from concurrency. None of those games fit the bill.

In addition, VRAM is NOT an indicator of graphical power.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?ca...7&card2=187
Both those cards can come with 256 megs of video ram on them.
But the second one is over twice as fast as the first.

More ram on the videocard allows you to run the game at a higher resolution, with larger textures.

Games used to recommend a certain amount of ram on the card because it's an indicator of the card's AGE, not always the power, and most games won't work with cards older than a certain limit, which depends on the game.

This is made worse by the fact that most modern graphics cards in laptops can leech from system RAM, making them able to use a lot more RAM than they actually have, but it's access time is a lot slower than onboard RAM... and these cards are often listed with the max RAM they can leech, not the amount they actually contain. This can be spotted easily with cards the claim "up to" a certain amount of RAM, but for many models it's hard to tell if it's actually got the RAM or will just leech it until you get it.

That said, what's your budget?

tommzy2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dont get an i7 laptop, trust me, i got i7 quadcore 2.93ghz with 1 gb gfx and 6 gb ram, and i cant run gta iv on the lowest settings, its retarted

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to run terraria or minecraft the Intel chipsets are ok. Anything beyond those and you really need to consider a separate GPU. On a laptop that's easily pushing your laptop above $1000.

DeviousTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not just get a laptop with AMD's new Fusion line-up, pretty much a CPU and GPU put together and from what I heard they run pretty damn well. Look for any of the A8's, they're decent quad cores with low-mid level GPU processing. And they come pretty cheap
wink.gif

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/hewlet...d1cb4306ee2en02

Comes with a free Xbox 360 8=D

I think this one is actually paired with 2 low-mid GPU's, as they do say dual graphics, makes the deal seem pretty good.

EDIT: By "low-mid" I'm referring more to mobile GPU's, not the desktop level, but I'm 100% sure this will run all those games you requested no problem. Oh and free xbox is student only ;(

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
[trol]Anyway, might I suggest you either A. learn stuff about computers instead of typing crappy and not knowing what you are actually asking or typing
B. go to a store tell them your needs and pay them that 30 bucks more than it will cost you at newegg?
C. I dont want to live on this planet anymore!

Oh yea and Tommy, a cliff will do your machine fine. Just toss it down there, maybe use portals or something nice to give it a proper burial. The i7 is one of the major CPUs currently out and they run like a liter of awesomesause through a drain the size of arkansas. Your problem is looking at the box thinking OMG i7 expensive + GRAFICS CARD OF 1 GB TROLOLOLO, where you failed to realise that that grafics was probably intergrated and thus meant not for playing games but watching video's and doing office work. That's retarded, though not so much, your claim that i7 is therefor retarded however, is quite retarded.[/trol]

The games you are suggesting will not require anything special as they are old or low requirement games.
Suggested laptop (possibly also for you @Justin):
HP Pavilion dv6-6170sd
Which would be overpowered for your needs but is nice nonetheless and will give you love for a long time to come.
Possible alternatives a Dell XPS 15 or Asus N53. Feel free to use those laptops as guidelines for your other options.

krzym1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dont ever buy a HP laptop.. they're overpriced (well not as much as apple's shit but still) and they tend to overheat much. Out of 4 HP laptops I had contact with 3 were overheating during simple tasks (I lol'd so hard when my rommate's laptop almost burned inside out while watching youtube, and it wasnt even year old).

And I dont think you're gonna find a "1.5 or 1.6 inch screen" anywhere but old cellphones.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
krzym1 said:
Dont ever buy a HP laptop.. they're overpriced (well not as much as apple's shit but still) and they tend to overheat much. Out of 4 HP laptops I had contact with 3 were overheating during simple tasks (I lol'd so hard when my rommate's laptop almost burned inside out while watching youtube, and it wasnt even year old).

And I dont think you're gonna find a "1.5 or 1.6 inch screen" anywhere but old cellphones.
Normally I have no preference for HP however that is also because they used a lot of AMD turions, which got hot, which used crappy thermal pads and thus overheated like crazy. Regardless that is personal experience together with turions being notorious. The suggested machine uses an intel proc.

krzym1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Scorpei said:
The suggested machine uses an intel proc.

Well, my rommate's PC has intel inside
wink.gif
and still gets hot as phok.

I myself have turion in my Toshiba laptop and it didnt ever overheat even when playing some new games.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
HP haven't made the best choices for many of their laptop models, and that's what has given them such a bad reputation. That doesn't mean that all HP laptops are bad, just that they have a lot of bad laptops. Other than that, saying they're overpriced is just ignorant B$. For that matter, every laptop brand has a fairly high 3year failure rate... Even 18% of all Apple laptops fail in 3 years.

When picking out a laptop, the first 2 things you need to know are your needs (in this case, halo 2 is the most I tense game required) and your budget. Halo 2 requires at least a 2.0Ghz Pentium M and a GeForce 6100 or ATI X700. In other words, Intel GMA HD and HD 3000 (integrated into the 2generations of Intel Core i CPUs) is all you need graphics wise, although going for discreet graphics would probably offer better frame rates.

For the matter of overheating, there are a few things you can do to help that. First replace the thermal paste with one that doesn't suck, then adjust BIOS and Windows to prevent useless things running in the background taking up all your resources. You can also down clock your CPU by 5% and get the CPU up to 10C cooler. Intel CPUs are better in that respect, as I've not been able to down clock an AMD CPU (in laptops at least) so far.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
That site is weird. It says they have the same CPU, yet they have different clock speeds. The Acer one has an LED screen and 4 hour battery life, and the HP doesn't but has a 7 hour battery life.

I prefer the Acer one, but only because I'm partial to blue.

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tommzy2 said:
dont get an i7 laptop, trust me, i got i7 quadcore 2.93ghz with 1 gb gfx and 6 gb ram, and i cant run gta iv on the lowest settings, its retarted

Maybe your GPU is not strong enough. I also have an i7 laptop and I can play GTA IV on high settings with the sliders at 100%.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1