Chipped psp Questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by BenjaminGilbey, Jul 9, 2012.

Jul 9, 2012

Chipped psp Questions by BenjaminGilbey at 12:01 AM (1,131 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

Newcomer BenjaminGilbey Newbie

Hey i brought a chipped white psp (so he tells mes) off a friend

it doesnt have CFW as far as im aware its on 4.05 according to the system info. i have tried installing differnt cfw's and doesnt load i have also tried updating to a OFW but it just says it cant load. im really lost and have no idea what to do.

Any one help???

Thanks ben

p.s i used to have a soft modded psp 1000 so i have some kinda clue what im doing lol

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You should be able to follow the hack/softmod sticky to use hellcat's to flash a clean 5.00 and update from there... but Idunno' if that's wise with a chip, no experience with that.

3. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Try holding L while turning on the PSP or flipping the WiFi switch, this should boot up the PSP to the on-board nand instead of the modchip.

4. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

Thanks for reply's

Tried holding L and not sure about the Wifi( i have tried turning on with it off/on and switching it off/on as it loads up no change). as for the hellcats i didnt see that on any of the sticky threads.

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Apparently the UP flash is 25 MB, and this became problematic after 3.52 as at that point firmwares got too big for it. You need to ensure you load the PSP's flash rather than the UP's which is done as dilav suggests, by holding down the left shoulder from power off.

If you can't load the PSP's nand, but are stuck with the chip's (for whatever reason) then you'd best sell the PSP and get a different one...or ignore the idea of playing newer games.

6. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

im happy to take the chip out but i have no idea how would rather not bugger the psp as getting to the motherboard looks complicated and figity lol but then it only Cost me £10 so not major fussed if it did go wrong. i dont see any difference if im holding Down L when turning on. its a psp 1003 if this helps

7. xist

United Kingdom
    Removing the UP would probably totally destroy the PSP.

Power off completely.(NOT SLEEP) then Hold L and power on. Then try installing a firmware.

8. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

Nope. Took bat out (just to make sure it was fully off) turned on holding L and then tried to install the 5.50 firmware both offical/custom and just says this game cannot be started (80020148)

9. xist

United Kingdom
    Either it's a fake stick or you have the update in the wrong place.

10. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

i have been putting it in psp-game-update EBOOT.PBP.

11. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Just in case it does have CFW, try holding R while turning on.

The other thing that comes to mind to try is a Pandora battery, but chances are that would also only be able to flash to the UP flash instead of the actual PSP flash, which would be no good as the flash apparently is not large enough.

12. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Downloading 6.60 from the XMB's built in Sony updater doesn't work either?

13. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

nope i tried the offical update option and that gave me the same error saying it cannot start. Holding R does nothing btw

Edit - I found the flasher software for UP chip and done what the guide says and that does nothing

14. xist

United Kingdom
    As a last resort try a different memory stick...i'm guessing you have a fake.

15. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Sometimes simply formatting the stick helps with that error. By the way, remember that the names of folders should be in caps. Theoretically it makes no difference, practically I noticed that it sometimes causes issues if the folders are not named in capital letters.

16. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

Right we have progress! i Formatted card and have managed to update to 5.50.

Edit currently doing a softmod guide found here to update to 6.20 then mod it ill let u guys know soon as its done and working

17. BenjaminGilbey
    OP

Cheers for all your help people!! Finally done!!! cant belive it was just a simple problem with mem card that was the problem all along grrrrr!

1 person likes this.