Chinese GM Cows Produce Human Breast Milk

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know I already went but it looks like I need to go again.

I am curious about a few things

People seem to find this objectionable... I am drawn to wonder if there at least some of the reason based on some measure of sexuality.

What objections are based on the dislike of genetically modified items. Before going on and rather relevant here- cows themselves are genetically modified (see Aurochs) although I suppose that kicks of the selective breeding vs straight up manipulation "debate" the farce that it is.

@ doyama re why perhaps something like http://www.sepeap.org/archivos/pdf/10488.pdf is worth a read.

Re: China as a less than brilliant place with regards to food safety. Perhaps but is it all that relevant to the philosophical debate; it seems to be more of a supply/industrial production type debate. Tell me which genes I need to swap out/add to the cow genes, where and what the swap/addition needs to be then I will make the new cow and I will promise not to mix in nasty chemicals with the products it is making.

Hop2089 said:
....I hope the dairy farmers who tainted the milk get the death penalty, their foolishness killed a newborn

Is the a reason the word newborn was used beyond the obvious?

Can I also take on Nestle after that formula promotion many years ago?

QUOTE said:
I hope people dont buy that and actually feed it to their kids.
Going to want some justification there.

"Made for cattle"
Fat, protein, water and other such things. Stuff every body needs and they are not too fussy about where it comes from and in what form. This reminds me- time for the annual reindeer milk hunt.
"[soybeans] dont produce a substance meant for their own offsprings' well being."
Can I suggest you read up on the parts of a seed and/or plant life cycles.

QUOTE( @ Jun 8 2011, 10:31 PM)
I mean, inserting human genes into cows is just unnatural. It;s wrong, and is something within (possible) God's Domain which we shouldn't fuck with.

It's almost like if we just started herding female humans for breastmilk; honestly where can society draw the line? it's sick and inhumane to imagine female humans just naked and being drained of their milk... what makes it ok to do to animals? ESPECIALLY ones that have our genetics directly added to them? On top of the fact cows already have a similar DNA structure to us...
So many breakthrough, life saving medical discoveries are due to humans "messing with nature". But even if you think about it, is it wrong to prolong somebody's life if they are "meant to die?"

I think you are letting your imagery run a bit wild there. I could paint a picture instead I will leave it at blood, bone marrow and other donation schemes similar to that. I already mentioned animals being manipulated (or their products being manipulated to produce human compatible stuff) but I will mention it again and link up something nice http://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_stone_the_b...eplacement.html .

"inserting human genes into cows is just unnatural"
I will be approaching this from a genetics standpoint (given most people around here will probably be more familar with computer coding than genetics and also I want to link something I find really interesting http://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/ ). I will then pose the questions "are human genes somehow better/sacrosanct?" and "given this is a small substitution at what point does the human genetic code cease to be the human genetic code?*"

*say for instance I was feeling like wasting my time and I sliced one codon (just about the most basic building block- a feature shared with all known life forms) from a piece of human DNA and shoved in it something else would this be wrong? This feels remarkably like the philosophical debate of when removing one atom at a time from a table when does it stop being a table I know but I will make it anyway.

"God's Domain which we shouldn't fuck with"
*splutter* do what now? Religious arguments are not especially likely to fly around here. Still what is "God's domain" and to save someone the effort the term "god of the gaps" will need to kept in mind.

"is it wrong to prolong somebody's life if they are "meant to die?" "
I think it is safe to assume nature is far from flawless (evolution attests to this) and death seems to be a feature of this so I then contend you are arguing whether it is correct to intervene in a flawed system.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
First reading it, I think "What the hell?"

I mean, inserting human genes into cows is just unnatural. It;s wrong, and is something within (possible) God's Domain which we shouldn't fuck with. It's almost like if we just started herding female humans for breastmilk; honestly where can society draw the line? it's sick and inhumane to imagine female humans just naked and being drained of their milk... what makes it ok to do to animals? ESPECIALLY ones that have our genetics directly added to them? On top of the fact cows already have a similar DNA structure to us...

I personally think nothing is wrong with drinking human breastmilk. It HONESTLY is the natural thing to do, and it definitely is better for you. But thanks to taboo and society as a whole something like that could be considered "lactation fetish" and be casts aside as wrong, bizarre, etc.

Once again where can we honestly draw the line? So it it WRONG for babies to be breastfed too if adults can't without being considered sick? OH, or is it ok BECAUSE they DON'T KNOW BETTER? What if a 6 year old unknowingly commits murder, should he or she receive jail time?

The world is so fucked up. I can't believe what it has become...

@ Acetic Orcein: You provide a very valid point. So many breakthrough, life saving medical discoveries are due to humans "messing with nature". But even if you think about it, is it wrong to prolong somebody's life if they are "meant to die?"

SO many conflicting viewpoints from scientific minds, religious minds, and the latter... who are we to judge others when others believe wholeheartedly the exact opposite of us?
Figured you'd post in a genetic modification thread.
It's never wrong to prolong life, and the comments about this being in god's domain have me biting my tongue to prevent me from posting my usual arguments against religion. This is awesome, and the technology shows how far we've come. We've got human organs from cloned pigs before, so how is breastmilk from cows weird? You drink milk from cows all the time, and it's highly unlikely that you're going to partake in this due to the "moral" implications.

Yoster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, soybeans, as meat, is one of the many things eaten by carnivores/omnivores, but pumping out milk from cows just hits me a wrong way. I dont know what bogus study said plants can feel, but if you have no nervous system, much less a brain to process anything such as pain, you sure as hell are not going to tell me soybeans hurt.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
chao1212 said:
Schlupi said:
First reading it, I think "What the hell?"

I mean, inserting human genes into cows is just unnatural. It;s wrong, and is something within (possible) God's Domain which we shouldn't fuck with. It's almost like if we just started herding female humans for breastmilk; honestly where can society draw the line? it's sick and inhumane to imagine female humans just naked and being drained of their milk... what makes it ok to do to animals? ESPECIALLY ones that have our genetics directly added to them? On top of the fact cows already have a similar DNA structure to us...

I personally think nothing is wrong with drinking human breastmilk. It HONESTLY is the natural thing to do, and it definitely is better for you. But thanks to taboo and society as a whole something like that could be considered "lactation fetish" and be casts aside as wrong, bizarre, etc.

Once again where can we honestly draw the line? So it it WRONG for babies to be breastfed too if adults can't without being considered sick? OH, or is it ok BECAUSE they DON'T KNOW BETTER? What if a 6 year old unknowingly commits murder, should he or she receive jail time?

The world is so fucked up. I can't believe what it has become...

@ Acetic Orcein: You provide a very valid point. So many breakthrough, life saving medical discoveries are due to humans "messing with nature". But even if you think about it, is it wrong to prolong somebody's life if they are "meant to die?"

SO many conflicting viewpoints from scientific minds, religious minds, and the latter... who are we to judge others when others believe wholeheartedly the exact opposite of us?
Figured you'd post in a genetic modification thread.
It's never wrong to prolong life, and the comments about this being in god's domain have me biting my tongue to prevent me from posting my usual arguments against religion. This is awesome, and the technology shows how far we've come. We've got human organs from cloned pigs before, so how is breastmilk from cows weird? You drink milk from cows all the time, and it's highly unlikely that you're going to partake in this due to the "moral" implications.

Haha. I don't mind you being against the religious view, friend, I am respectful of your opinion.

As you can see I am not taking sides. Also, when I say "God's Domain", I don't even just mean it as "ONLY GOD CAN DO IT" I mean it's something us humans possibly shouldn't tamper with.

You're right, having human organs cloned onto pigs and rats for our use is also an unnatural (but lifesaving) procedure. It's crazy how far we have become.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I oppose this, but not for the obvious reasons.

It has been proven more than once that a mother's breast milk is developed specifically for the child they gave birth to. It gives them exactly what they need. No more, no less.

I oppose this the same way I oppose a newborn drinking the breast milk of another nursing mother. The balance is not there for a child they didn't give birth to.

How can we expect a cow to produce milk fit for every human child in China?

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
What the f***?
blink.gif

I assume how'd the cows look?
evil.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Raika said:
Crazy Chinese. Next they'll start inserting human genes into every damn thing.
No wonder parents always say those clothes will just walk off you if you don't wash them...
unsure.gif

QUOTE(Chhotu uttam @ Jun 9 2011, 05:23 AM) I assume how'd the cows look?
evil.gif
...like cows?

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Chhotu uttam said:
What the f***?
blink.gif

evil.gif
didn't you see this??
QUOTE(Veho @ Jun 8 2011, 04:46 PM)
O9RaS.jpg

tpi.gif

but really, they'll just look like normal cows.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Tanveer said:
Chhotu uttam said:
What the f***?
blink.gif

evil.gif
What the fuck?
You do realize they are not cutting off Human boobs and putting it on the cows o.o.
Just genetic changes -.-

Cows look like cows look like cows..
never mnd i was a joke.
but actually after hearing this i first imagined that only.
tongue.gif

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
FAST6191 said:
WiiBricker said:
Oh boy, and then they will produce and sell semen >.>

A couple of years late there WiiBricker
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/scie...icle4276551.ece
I bet thats going to be exciting for lesbians lol.

How things are evolving
unsure.gif
Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread this morning. Read every post. Made my day.
smile.gif

edit: for me this thread is right up there with spider goats. But human sperm from mice... what can I say- WOW. LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: How Roms Try Helping? +1