Hacking Chiip Opensource Modchip

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
may i make a recommendation on your install?

run the wires through the fan vent so that the socket is outside of your wii that way you can reflash it when needed (quite often with these openwii releases) and to make sure the contacts stay connected between the chiip and the socket.

werd

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my test boards from ebay, some place in china, I got 8 of them for 6$ canadian.

They worked out nice, I like them.

my next step is to at some sort of status LED on the program to indicate that it actualy is being flashed.

any suggestions?

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no one has anything to say, suggestions install pics...

here is my new install pics

The red tape square just indicates pin 1.

its a little crude but thats all i could do in the short time frame my master has given me to use my iron.. she commands me to leave it and I have to run.. lol

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very...inconspicuous. No one will ever know.

Pretty cool stuff tho. If I didn't have a chip already, I'd probably try one of these free solutions. Looks like fun.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nice work Frankdux. For some reason I wired mine through the flap that covers the GC memory cards. I wanna change it but I just haven't had the time or motivation to crack the Wii open again and snip the wires to my chip. So for the mean time I just pulled the wires around to the back and mounted the chip right above the fan with some electricians tape. Makes the Wii look clean from the front and sides, just not the back
tongue.gif

Chiip did release a new firmware v0.9.1
QUOTE said:
Changes to v0.9.0:

* No bitsetting required
   This means that more or less all DVD+R/+RW/-RW discs should work now
  * The "reduce DVD speed by quitting and restarting a game"-trick was removed from this version; I will soon add a different way of setting the speed
  * Might improve support for different region originals
  * Again changed the login process a little
  * The Linux and Wiip-AT90S2313 versions were removed from this release as it's only a test release anyway
Frimware v0.9.1 Download

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
when your sitting there playing, the chiip doesnt look to bad on the side.. its a easy way to keep and eye on it and make changes.

I just did the numbchuck led mod, and was going to do the Wii remote led aswell but i ran out of 3mm Leds and all i have now is 5mm way to big.

oh well. more modding tomorrow

orb_nsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind my external install for now, but once the feature set is enough that I don't care about updating the chip anymore (or if Chiip or Openwii get DVD updates figured out) I'm going to install mine internally. I also need to clean up the soldering on the led and resistor sometime! I was in a bit of a hurry by the time it came to putting the components on the chip...

chiip2ze8.jpg

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Install pix, why not? Too bad I don't have pix of my Wii yet but only the chip itself. I'll have to add that next week. Nevertheless, the cable leaves the case through the fan holes with the same grey IDE cables used inside the SUB-D adapter case.

Left side for programming, serial plug on the right side for the Wii connection:

wiiinnenxw0.jpg

wiiaussenww1.jpg

Sorry for the boring colours.
wink.gif

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
Install pix, why not? Too bad I don't have pix of my Wii yet but only the chip itself. I'll have to add that next week. Nevertheless, the cable leaves the case through the fan holes with the same grey IDE cables used inside the SUB-D adapter case.

Left side for programming, serial plug on the right side for the Wii connection:

wiiinnenxw0.jpg

wiiaussenww1.jpg

Sorry for the boring colours.Â
wink.gif

very clean, professional looking programmer/external chiip

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks xalphax, it was actually quite fun to build and I was rather disappointed it wouldn't work at first, I even had trouble with original discs
wtf.gif
, where the Wii would recognize and start them but crash after a few secs in the game. But after flashing FW 0.9.1 everything's running smoothly.
happy.gif

very clean, professional looking programmer/external chiip

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

wiiinnenxw0.jpg

wiiaussenww1.jpg

Sorry for the boring colours.Â
wink.gif

wow, very nice, clean and professional job : ) i used IDE cables for my installation too! they are the shiz

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, Frankdux and arthurkok2!

Yes, the LED's working. It's connected as shown in the circuit diagram on the Chiip website (chip pins 26 and 8 with the resistor inbetween), but the connection's hidden underneath the cables to the serial port. When I flashed the Chiip the first time with FW beta5, it showed the blinkcode for "couldn't find the Wii", but when I flashed it with v0.9.1, it didn't blink, but in the Wii it's on and goes off for a sec when recognizing a disc. Just the way it's supposed to.

Clean, nice soldering..

where did u connect the led to. does it light up when its being programed. ??

Frankdux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Little upset today.. the left and right direction on my Nunchuck doesnt seem to work out of the box. so now i gotta pull a fast one on walmart or use my receit. lol its easier and fast to just say it doesnt work, it seem when u got a receit things take longer there..

maybe its just me..

roboticas

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, my parts arrived today from Futurlec so I decided to mod my wii. For me, Futurlec experience was perfect since I am located in Europe and all other companies wanted $30 - $60 for delivery while Futurlec only $4. The parts came exactly as I expected, and a big thank you to those that took the time posted the Fututrlec list.

So I built everything with great caution, I knew what I was doing since I read A LOT about it in the forums. But..... it is not quite working
unsure.gif

I downloaded the windows compiled avrdude from this threat (somebody posted it... THANK YOU!). However I forgot to download the latest firmware, so the firmware on my chiip is beta1.

I installed the chiip without any problems. I turn on the Wii and the LED lights up. There is NO blinking. So I think that means that everything went right with the hardware part (right?).

I tried a backup game with no success. Tried to burn it at lower speed of 4x, again nothing. Media is Verbatim and burner is NEC.

Also, people reported that with beta1 firmware the Wii was not playing the original games. Mine plays them fine. Is this good or bad????

So this is my story. I would really appreciate any help or tips. Thanks a lot!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: see ya