Hacking Check/Verify installed version of Boot9strap?

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering if there is any means at all, to check which version of boot9strap is currently installed on my system? I checked all the usual places and don't see it listed anywhere and searching around online, only brings me to a dead link and something about using Godmode9 to do this?

Anyways, just curious if there is a way to check which version of b9s is installed on my system, please and thank you.

Reactions: Mudwaster

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I figured as much, was hoping there was a way though.

I actually just installed it tonight, what should be 1.3. I had a bit it trouble screwing around however, since my Godmode9, among other things were really outdated. So in all the fooling about, things weren't as streamlined as I would have liked, in order to keep track of things and in my curiosity getting the best of me, I thought I would check and verify that everything went as planned, by comparing version numbers. Of course, I could check my Luma, Godmode9, FBI, etc, for version numbers, but no where was Boot9strap listed and that had me puzzled.

My system is working just fine, so it likely took as expected, but I guess the nerd in me, would have liked to have seen with my own eyes, you know?

Thanks for writing back though, I do appreciate it.

If anyone else knows a way, please do share!

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no way to check, just like there wasn't for A9LH. However, you HAVE to download the boot.firm from the repo itself, and the link in the guide directs you to the newest release. Basically you just have to pay attention to what you're downloading. Not to mention once you've downloaded the ZIP it will be titled with the release (i.e boot9strap-1.3.zip) so literally just check your downloads folder and that's the one you installed.......

The newer versions of Luma actually tell you if you're loading B9S from your SD card or from CTRNAND. Depending on the differences in B9S releases perhaps it could be updated to display the B9S version as well.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tested that, as I was curious (I suggested this on the issues page a while ago). But it doesn't (at least not on 8.1.1, I didn't try a nightly).
I meant newer as in, the one not out yet Lol. But it's been committed so it's in the nightlies. it will be in the next release for a fact. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Quantumcat

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
There's a way to check with godmode9
Sysnand virtual -> firm0.bin -> FIRM image options -> Mount image to drive -> header.bin -> calculate sha256

The boot9strap versions will have header sha256's based on this chart:

1.0: 5C3B0CD4FE0C4987AF764B9FEFAD8B8ED39929E6EA9A8F6D782C2409BB16930A
1.1: 893A8A5B9B87FD1869AAA0BAE9BCAA3C9102DFEC1FFACB2561321F53B6091884
1.2: 9DDE2F7258FD1EE88EDE335ED781053F8925269D8720FE87BE4E2BD35B5990D3
1.3: 7C2E1DC860858BF9C7285915957FE64AF3B1B812C57FCB2C417881D31EE4246C

Please note that you don't have to compare the entire number to this. The first 3-4 chars is probably enough.
A gm9 script could probably be made to do this easy enough.

edit:
Ah screw it, just made a little app to do the check. Attached. Should work chainloaded or as boot/ntrboot.firm.

Last edited by zoogie,

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome! Thanks so much for this! I do remember reading there was a way via gm9, but in google searching, the main thread was gone and I couldn't read anything up on it. Thanks so much for posting this here, as it seems most of us weren't aware that you actually could do this, after all!

I checked via the long method you posted above and mine shows 7C2E, so I am definitely on 1.3. I am going to keep this in mind for the future too, just because I like to see these things in person.

I am a little confused on using your file though, with all the crossed out wording and the fact that you stated Luma hard codes the b9s version, has me believe I likely don't know what I am doing to get an accurate result.

Do I run your file from the home/scripts menu of gm9, or no?

If you can please tell me exactly where to put this file and how to run it, that would be really appreciated. Sorry for coming off like a pest, but I have no problem admitting I am ignorant on this and would like to learn from it. I would like to keep your file for future use.

Thanks so much.

D

Deleted User

There's a way to check with godmode9
Sysnand virtual -> firm0.bin -> FIRM image options -> Mount image to drive -> header.bin -> calculate sha256

The boot9strap versions will have header sha256's based on this chart:

1.0: 5C3B0CD4FE0C4987AF764B9FEFAD8B8ED39929E6EA9A8F6D782C2409BB16930A
1.1: 893A8A5B9B87FD1869AAA0BAE9BCAA3C9102DFEC1FFACB2561321F53B6091884
1.2: 9DDE2F7258FD1EE88EDE335ED781053F8925269D8720FE87BE4E2BD35B5990D3
1.3: 7C2E1DC860858BF9C7285915957FE64AF3B1B812C57FCB2C417881D31EE4246C

Please note that you don't have to compare the entire number to this. The first 3-4 chars is probably enough.
A gm9 script could probably be made to do this easy enough.

edit:
Ah screw it, just made a little app to do the check. Attached. Should work chainloaded or as boot/ntrboot.firm.
edit2:
Try to use the latest version of luma if you chainload this app. Luma hardcodes the b9s version for whatever insane reason.
Run this app as boot.firm for most accurate version response.
Mine says 1.2, even I updated to 1.3 (SHA-256 started with 7C2E for me). Same goes to my friend as he showed me a pic on Discord. :/

IMAG1219.jpg

CrimsonMaple

Developer • She/Her
Trophies
Website
crimson.ninja
XP
Country
United States
Luma hardcodes the b9s version for whatever insane reason.
Run this app as boot.firm for most accurate version response.
Luma hardcodes the boot9strap version so that other payloads know if they are loaded under b9s, and not something like oldLoader, which doesn't pass a magic value for safety reasons.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Mine says 1.2, even I updated to 1.3 (SHA-256 started with 7C2E for me). Same goes to my friend as he showed me a pic on Discord. :/

IMAG1219.jpg
Try the one attached here. This one just reads the FIRM header instead of the r2 lie.

If you run a non-release version of b9s, it will say "Boot9strap Nightly".
Also, should a new version of b9s be released, it will also show as "Boot9strap Nightly". Someone tag me when > 1.3 releases so the app can be updated (if I forget to do it).

EDIT:
https://github.com/zoogie/b9s_check/releases
(this is the latest as of May/2022, use it instead of the attachment pls)

Attachments

• b9s_check.zip
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,611
Last edited by zoogie,

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for this. Mine was reading 1.2 as well, despite the checksum saying differently. This new version is now showing 1.3, when run as a payload.

Much respects and big up yourself for a job well done! Very grateful for this and will keep it on hand to verify future installs of b9s!

Reactions: zoogie

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is any means at all, to check which version of boot9strap is currently installed on my system? I checked all the usual places and don't see it listed anywhere and searching around online, only brings me to a dead link and something about using Godmode9 to do this?

Anyways, just curious if there is a way to check which version of b9s is installed on my system, please and thank you.

Restore a nand backup of your a9lh install and test from there

AndrewH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Restore a nand backup of your a9lh install and test from there

I never had a9lh installed, as I went straight into b9s when I modded my 3DS earlier this summer. Regardless, the very informative posts above, have me and others sorted with means to check their installed versions, now.

Thanks for chiming in though.

Reactions: tbb043

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try the one attached here. This one just reads the FIRM header instead of the r2 lie.

If you run a non-release version of b9s, it will say "Boot9strap Nightly".
Also, should a new version of b9s be released, it will also show as "Boot9strap Nightly". Someone tag me when > 1.3 releases so the app can be updated (if I forget to do it).
this should be added to SafeB9SInstaller

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Wisheh1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have B9s installed. But there is a newer version it seems since November. My system still works perfect and i have the latest update for my 3ds do i still need to update B9s even if my system already is hacked months ago?

Last edited by Wisheh1992,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have B9s installed. But there is a newer version it seems since November. My system still works perfect and i have the latest update for my 3ds do i still need to update B9s even if my system already is hacked months ago?
Did you not read the post litterally above yours? You will more likely get a answer there and the fact this thread is from over 2 years ago means not a lot are going to check this for newbies asking things.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: and nvidia is already doing ARM