Hacking Cheat Codes Don't Work

twelventeen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get any of the cheat codes to work.

I have an EDGE card with v1.42 firmware.
I'm using R4CCE v0.84.
I have enabled cheats in the settings on the DS.
I downloaded http://cheats.gbatemp.net/files/12_21_08_EDGEcheats.DAT.zip and extracted it.
I saved EDGEcheats.dat to the EDGE folder on the microSD card after tinkering with it.
By tinkering with it, I mean I did the following:

I clicked on several games and several codes checking both "Game Enable" and "Code Enable."
Of the codes I tried, some had particular button combination to activate them and some did not.

I tried codes for Phantasy Star Zero (J), Metal Slug 7 (J), Soul Bubbles (U), and Rune Factory 2 (U) and none of them worked.

My brother told me that he might have accidentally deleted some folders from the EDGE directory.
The contents are currently: (Dir) skins, config.xml, and EDGEcheats.dat. Is there something missing?

I feel retarded for not being able to figure this out. Any help would be much appreciated.

twelventeen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention, of course, that I saved the EDGEcheats.dat after clicking on the "Code Enable" and "Game Enable" of the particular games. I then took that saved file and transferred it to the EDGE folder on the card.

twelventeen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I decided to tinker with everything a bit more and found the solution to the problem.

I downloaded the OS again and observed the files that it contained. Another forum post mentioned that it needed to be renamed to cheats.dat instead of EDGEcheats.dat. (To be fair, the instructions that went along with R4CCE said that I should name the file EDGEcheats.dat.) I changed the name of the file, but it still didn't work. I tried loading the cheats.dat that came with the OS and it worked wonderfully. As a test, I saved it with R4CCE v0.84 and the cheats suddenly stopped working. I checked the EDGE website and they were referencing an older version of R4CCE (v0.80) in their links. I couldn't download v0.80 from the R4CCE, but Google led me to another link.

So, I used R4CCE v8.0. I used the cheats.dat that came from the EDGE website as a base and just added a new game reference for Phantasy Star Universe.

To do this, I clicked on "Add Game," clicked on that little "..." and used the Phantasy Star Universe .nds as a reference for the info. I created a new cheat and added:

020C5690 E3A00000
020C5694 E12FFF1E
020C59F0 E3A00000
020C59F4 E12FFF1E

to the code area. I checked "Game Enable" and "Code Enable" and I saved this new cheats.dat in the EDGE folder. I don't know if I described that in complete detail, but it should be enough for other people to follow without having do understand much of anything. When you go to load the game, it now asks if you want to enable cheats.

It was preventing me from using cheats on any game when I was using v0.84 of R4CCE, so this could be a general solution to anyone that is having difficulty getting cheats to work.

It looks like a pretty slick game. My brother is happy. All is well.

Enjoy.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd.... because I am currently using R4CCE 0.84, and have moved, copied and other stuff with it and saved the EDGE cheats with a new filename, after transferring to the card I renamed it to cheats.dat and it works. Of course then there's the issue of some cheats just not working with some games, but that's the EDGE's Action Replay engine...

I think I encountered the same problem you had before, what I did was delete the config.xml. I then loaded the EDGE again to create a new xml while the cheats were in there.

musicmeister

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having the same problems too. My Pokemon Diamond game doesn't boot everytime I use the IV check cheat on my EDGE flashcart.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
keep in mind folks..
not all cheat codes in the database will work on EDGE
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since