cheap atx case

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by DarkFlare69, Dec 26, 2015.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    i was misinformed and thought the MSI 970a-g46 was Micro ATX, but it's actually ATX and won't fit in my god damn case. Obviously it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a new case than have to make sure parts are compatible with a new mobo, etc.

So can anyone suggest the BEST case for under $35 shipped? I know this is extremely cheap, but i know there's at least a few cases. I will not be picky at all since it's just something to hold my parts. i would prefer one with a dvd drive, if possible. if not possible, that's fine too.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "than have to make sure parts are compatible with a new mobo"
    It is really not a hard problem in the modern world as long as you are not building a server, and even there it is not hard.
    Your motherboard
    http://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/970A-G46.html#hero-specification

So make sure you get one with the AM3+ socket and has DDR3 memory support, and I guess you will also want a micro-ATX model.

Anyway if you are heading down the case path then the only thing that would see you want to buy a spanking new case would be if you wanted USB3.0 on the front panels. Otherwise if it fits then it should be good and that means you could probably pick up a second hand case made between now and many years ago. I see them, even the fancy black ones that they reckon gaming folks want, in skips often enough and the computer shop wherever I go is always getting rid of them if you just need one to "hold my parts".

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
  4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I actually own the Redbone, and I will say that while it is a very capable entry level case, it is reeeeeaaaaally frustrating to build in and (at least in my case) required quite a bit of modding to get cable management to work. However, it looks nice and does its job, and I can't complain since I got it for $30

All things said and done, there's not much that screams "better" about that NZXT case than the Rosewill one, other than the radiator/fan mounts on the top. However, while I had the Dremel in my hand for cable management I just cut a 360x120mm hole in the top, so that kind of makes that point moot. Basically out of those two I'd still chose the Redbone

5. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    It costs $50, not $30, and that is pure bullshit

6. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I bought it when eBay had a sale. I thought the price was dropped at Newegg for their end of the year sale, but maybe I was thinking of Amazon...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Wait... You've got to be shitting me... The USB 3.0 version of the Redbone case with an extra 120mm fan is actually cheaper than the USB 2.0 version because of the Year-End Clearance sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147160&ignorebbr=1

I'd personally get that one, then, and just accept that case mods are ok if the going gets tough

7. DarkFlare69
    OP

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    God dammit, i need a motherfucking case

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States