Changing of Modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by hawkz02, Nov 20, 2008.

Nov 20, 2008

Changing of Modchip by hawkz02 at 7:18 PM (979 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. hawkz02
    OP

Newcomer hawkz02 Advanced Member

Singapore
    HI,
    now facing some problem with my current modchip D2Ckey.Thinking of changing it to the solderless one. Can that be done?? Will it have any side effect?? What the solderless modchip recommended for D2C chipset??(upgradable one)

Thankz

2. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Upgrading to a solderless chip depends on several things.

Are you trying to avoid using a soldering iron? If so, this might be an issue depending on where the old modchip was soldered. You may have to desolder(remove the old solder with a soldering iron) before the Wiiclip will even fit over the chip on the driveboard.

Based on this post, I believe you probably didn't solder the chip in yourself. If you did, check your connections, if not then ask someone else to remove the old chip for you.

There are plenty of threads saying what modchip can be used on the D2C. Do a search for that.

To my knowledge, most modchips boast the same features. Some have a few extra quirks, but most are the same- they just have different compatibility with different driveboards.

3. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Getting a solderless chip on there will be very difficult, as the D2Ckey is soldered to MANY legs of your drives controller. Why do you want to change your chip anyway?

4. hawkz02
    OP

Singapore
    I wanted to change cause it giving mi problem.Those games use to be playable now don't run anymore... It givin mi system error msg.Eject the disc ,off the console and refer to manual. Been tryin to fix that for some time.....

5. Slowking

Germany
    This message appears if a disc is trucha signed. You probably updatet your Wii recently and now it won't play those discs anymore. Nothing to do with your modchip.
    Try running those discs through GeckoOS.

6. hawkz02
    OP

Singapore
    I had try that but still the same.... I even downgraded my Firmware to 3.2U hoping it work but still no result. So does that mean even i change the modchip the problem will persist?? I even try out back loader and menu loader all same result..

7. Slowking

Germany
    Well it certainly sounded like it was the trucha-problem, but if it still persists on 3.2 that's not it.
    But I don't think it's you modchip either. Maybe your discs got scratched or your laser dirty. If I were you I would try to reburn one or two of the problem games and clean my laser first.
    The D2Ckey is one of the solidest chips there is and since it's not all your backups I don't think the chip is the problem. Or is it all your backups that don't work anymore?

8. hawkz02
    OP

Singapore
    OKi noted will try the above mention way to see if it work...I do hope so..... =)

9. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Slowking seems to be on the right trail imo. Maybe it is how you are storing the DVDs? Dirty lens?

If the Wii is making a VERY load clicking mechanical sound, then I wouldn't doubt the chip had came lose or was damaged. But your describing bad reads, and not a loud mechanical noise, or non powering drive.

So stop thinking about the software and check the Wii over, remove dust from the fan intake and make sure it's well ventilated. Leave it totally disconnected from the power supply for a while and give the lens a clean if you have a lens cleaner.
    Double check your burns, if they look "cloudy" it could be how they are stored. Before you do get another chip, have someone check the connections and that the insulating plastic/card/paper is not moved causing a bridge.

Worth going over these things before you spend a dime.

Good luck [​IMG]

10. hawkz02
    OP

Singapore
    Oki. thankz.....
    if it only one or two i still oki with it but now we talking about @ least near to 3/4 of the games..
    anyway will give your method a shot.. =)