ROM Hack Change Action Replay Code

TheOne61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello people of GBATemp! I need help -- I messed up my save of Urbz Sims in the City because I got carried away using cheats. One of the missions is "Make 3 friends" but a point earlier I used a action replay code to max out relationships. Now it doesn't register that I have 3 friends already made. I was wondering (since I've tried researching myself and can't figure it out) if someone could help me convert this max relationship action replay code to something smaller or even 0 if that's what it takes.

Max Relationships
f09f3791
cd9b7591
d92c8521
1dd4065c

That is the code I used. I cannot figure out how to alter how to change it, so that it changes relationships down to like 25 so that I can bring them back up myself.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello people of GBATemp! I need help -- I messed up my save of Urbz Sims in the City because I got carried away using cheats. One of the missions is "Make 3 friends" but a point earlier I used a action replay code to max out relationships. Now it doesn't register that I have 3 friends already made. I was wondering (since I've tried researching myself and can't figure it out) if someone could help me convert this max relationship action replay code to something smaller or even 0 if that's what it takes.

Max Relationships
f09f3791
cd9b7591
d92c8521
1dd4065c

That is the code I used. I cannot figure out how to alter how to change it, so that it changes relationships down to like 25 so that I can bring them back up myself.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Are you sure those codes are complete? AFAIK they should be in the format XXXXXXXX YYYYYYYY with the first part being the command (and address when applicable) and the second part being the value.
The 16-digit codes are pretty easy to edit, but I can't really make sense of the ones you posted.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Ryccardo

TheOne61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure those codes are complete? AFAIK they should be in the format XXXXXXXX YYYYYYYY with the first part being the command (and address when applicable) and the second part being the value.
The 16-digit codes are pretty easy to edit, but I can't really make sense of the ones you posted.

They seem to work when I input them into mGBA like this, and use the code type Action Replay:

f09f3791 cd9b7591
d92c8521 1dd4065c

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They seem to work when I input them into mGBA like this, and use the code type Action Replay:

f09f3791 cd9b7591
d92c8521 1dd4065c
Hmm, they just don't look like normal AR code types. The first one for example, the closest code type would be F00000001, but that just takes a 00000000 or 00000001 as the second parameter. Maybe they are encoded in some way? I tried googling how to decode or unpack AR codes, but didn't find much.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried googling how to decode or unpack AR codes, but didn't find much.
https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gba.html might be worth a read then (also see the tools page on that).

Anyway I am also not sure what format that is (though I am not an expert on the various cheat formats of the GBA). Generally speaking you only need 5 hex digits to do addresses in GBA cheats (if the entire conventional Work RAM is between 02000000 and 0203FFFF then yeah functionally that is 00000 through 3FFFF --http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbamemorymap , bit more if you want the extra stuff the chip might have). 8 characters is then enough to do a fair bit with, and even better still if you are breaking the codes down into bit level encoding.

If those are the cheats then it sounds like you have the locations and the values it puts there too. You would indeed then just have to figure out the location from that and set your own value. If we can't figure out the cheat format you could come the other way -- get a normal save, make a savestate, apply the cheats and immediately take another savestate. There will likely be some minor changes to some things (you might be fast on your fingers but updates happen multiple times a second) but for the most part it should be the same. Find out where the values are changed by doing a compare between the savestates (might even want to do more than one to try to eliminate some of the happens anyway stuff) and you have the location.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_gba.html might be worth a read then (also see the tools page on that).

You can decrypt them with ARCrypt from the tools section on that site. Using that tool to convert your original Action Replay v3 codes to raw gives a code of :-

00000000 843037F4
00006400 001D0001

The '64' in the above code being hexadecimal is 100 in decimal and is your max relationship value in game.

This is the raw code for a relationship of 25 as you asked :-

00000000 843037F4
00001900 001D0001

The '19' in the above code being hexadecimal for 25 in decimal.

Converting them back to Action Replay v3 codes gives you :-

F09F3791 CD9B7591
63EC1DE1 E3D18831

Which does indeed change the relationship value to 25. If that value is not the same for all characters, i'm sorry as I don't know how to check for that or change it.

Last edited by ILuvGames,
Reactions: Ryccardo

TheOne61

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did my post above work for you?

Hey sorry! I just saw this and tested it right now! It worked! Thank you so much - at least I know for the future that it was encrpyted. I was just confused because usually the raw codes aren't too hard to understand but I couldn't make head or tails of how to fix this one.

Thanks!

Reactions: ILuvGames

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.