Chance 9.2 is a hoax?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Inexplicit, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Inexplicit
    OP

Inexplicit Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    So I’ve been contemplating whether to buy the Gateway right now or not. If I wait for a seemingly inevitable release, odds are all major sellers will run out of stock in minutes. The only thing keeping me on edge is that I'm not sure how believable this whole thing is. All Gateway has really done is tell us, "soon...", and give us one proof of concept, and quite frankly, I don't believe that one video can really guarantee 100% truth to thousands of people. After all, it doesn't seem "too" out of reach to spoof a New3ds shell, move a couple button locations, etc.

It seems like everyone here is 100% sure that it's coming, (except for Sky3ds slaves) and I'm just wondering if there's something I'm not getting or understanding, and If I'm just being a paranoid dumbass about the whole deal.

Thanks in advance.

2. fafaffy

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    Well, Gateway has manage to deliver and innovate this entire time, there's literally no reason to not trust them.

I mean, they're not like Crown3DS, they do eventually pull through.

Inexplicit likes this.
  3. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    They would destroy their reputation if they did so. They have absolutely ZERO REASON TO DO THIS. It would accomplish nothing..

Inexplicit likes this.
  4. Master X

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Well, they did make quite a fuss soon after they released the card about how they would have native support for v 5 firmwares.

And that came out... never.

5. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    They have never promised such a thing. They were considering it. Finding an exploit is extremely difficult

6. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    They didn't have a video of it up though. Plus, they keep answering on and on about 9.2 on their e-mails. That's gotta' be worth something.

Inexplicit likes this.
  7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    They didn't even make a fuss about it. I really don't know where people get it from. They said they hope to add support for X (what ever current was at the time) firmware in the coming weeks.

Quite how "hope" has turned into promised to do it and making a fuss over it, I will never know.

Inexplicit and Phantom_User like this.
  8. Master X

Master X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    United States
    Finding a exploit is so difficult that they miraculously pull one out of thin air when they get new competition.

Hell of a coincidence ja? They might have done just that, but it's more likely that they've been sitting on a exploit for a while. Might have been the v5 exploit they were looking for, unpatched for so long. Might be one introduced later. Who knows, but the timing of that announcement is highly suspect.

9. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's really not... They were probably working on the exploit before sky3ds... And decided to update us. It's a little odd that the community is this paranoid.

gamefan5, VinsCool and Zeffy like this.
  10. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    OP, you appear to be a new comer, so I'd advise you to go to Gateway 3DS homepage, start from the earliest dated news and read you way forward to the present day.

They have come through with ever promise they ever made. Yeah, they take a while to push updates out, but the 3DS platform was rather unexplored territory in 2013....

11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Just remember folks.. They started off like Crown3ds... And then gave us something with 1 rom per SD card. Now look at where we are. You think they'll abandon us?

Inexplicit and fatboynate like this.
  12. purupuru

purupuru GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    They will likely wait for the new 3ds to be released in all markets

13. Inexplicit
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I've been following the 3ds scene for quite awhile now, but not Gateway specifically. I really didn't know anything about Gateway since the last few days, and I guess all the "Oh no bricks everywhere!" Deal that happened earlier in the year kind of put me off. I mean, I knew it was a blatant exaggeration, but it just put this uneasy feeling deep down. I suppose I'm reassured enough to fork over the $60 so I can see it by Christmas :)

Phantom_User likes this.
  14. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Again with these theories ...

GotKrypto76 and Inexplicit like this.
  15. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    How is that even possible? The scene was Gateway alone :lol: for a long time.

MarkDarkness and Inexplicit like this.
  16. Inexplicit
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Hah, when I say "quite awhile", I mean around the beginning of the year, and when I say "3ds scene", I mean mostly smea's twitter :D

17. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    There's zero chance that it's a hoax. There's a good chance that all this sudden, pointless firmware updating by Nintendo is delaying Gateway. However, nobody that was realistic about it was expecting Gateway to release the new exploit until closer to Christmas in the first place. They're always thorough with testing and polishing.

Phantom_User likes this.