CFW vs Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Makoto0729, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Makoto0729
    OP

Makoto0729 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    I recently got homebrew access on my N3DS and have sysNAND 9.2 and emuNAND 10.7 via Gateway. I remember back when I got my Gateway, CFW and other non-GW versions of emuNAND were still in their infancy, but from what I can tell, they seem to be blossoming now. (I've been out of the scene for a while.)

Had I not already owned a GW, I might just default to CFW. However, since I already have one, I'm wondering: Is there any benefit to the CFW out now that make them better than actually using my Gateway card? And the inverse: Is there anything my GW can do that CFW currently can't?

I only ask because I've tried to look it up and from the most part they seem identical, but there may be things I'm missing. They could be things as simple as "______ updates faster" or the like.

Thanks!

2. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
  3. wiiuser2

wiiuser2 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    As a GW owner myself, the only advantage today is that you can drop 3ds files directly on the microsd card in the GW without the trouble of installing CIA's to the SD card. And GW's cheat system is the best..... Up to you to decide what is important for you.
    Booting into Aureinand CFW is as quick as booting normally into sysnand, whereas booting into Gateway takes at least double that time. Hopefully this will be corrected soon(tm) when gateway presents a a9lh compatible launcher.

Personally I find myself moving towards the use of CIA's because of the speed of booting into CFW, but that could change instantly when GW presents their launcher.

astronautlevel likes this.
  4. FrozenDragon150

FrozenDragon150 Notorious Coffee Drinker

Nov 6, 2014
    Venezuela
    Gateway is the mix of an incomplete CFW and an incomplete flashcart, basically, it's a CFW/Flashcart mix whose CFW cannot work without it's flashcart and it's flashcart cannot work without it's CFW.

Using a pure CFW (Reinand, Aureinand, Cakes, RXphail) yields better results, and if you want .3ds games simply buy a sky3ds

5. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Gateway is good because it can run .3ds and you also can get A LOT of extra storage.

But overall, CFW is better and free.

6. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Ever since I sold my Gateway and setup A9LH, I've had nothing but benefits. Gateway used to be cool, when it was our only option.

Hoppy and Just Passing By like this.
  7. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Unless you want built in cheats, just use CFW. I will continue to use my GW because I've had it for a long time now, but if I had had the option to have not got it, that could have been nice.

8. VIERcntHOLZ

VIERcntHOLZ yep, theres missing an "u".

Mar 26, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hey Guys,

Got my New 3DS like 3 Days ago, went trough the rough process of downgrading and using a AutoBoot CFW, but since today (after like 4-5 hours) I made it to a A9LHAX System (on newest Firmware and several 9.2 Backups! :-) (which is good, I guess? :D)).

I can play Pokemon Ruby via mGBA like a charm. (is mGBA the best emulator atm?)
    I assume that i can install .cia games (like the new Pokemon X/Y?) and play too, not tried it yet but should work out, right?

One thing that is last.

To play .nds games (like Pokemon Diamond to Black II) I will have to get an FlashCard like the R4i, or?
    If so, can you suggest me the best (atm) flashcard for only .nds games? (3ds and gba/gbc I can play on my cfw)

all the best!

9. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    you can just grab GBA CIAs from *that ISO site* they place natively better than emulators

also R4I seems to be the best option for an NDS card

10. jimbo13

jimbo13 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2012
    United States
    On IRC doing some trouble shooting and the chat in the other TAB has nothing but horrible things being said about Gateway. The leets are saying it's :shit: and will give you a brick.

Wouldn't know personally, but the consensus is it's outdated and inferior.

11. astronautlevel

astronautlevel Trying to Find My Way

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Gateway released some bricking code that bricked people who used clones of gateway.

jimbo13 likes this.
  12. Makoto0729
    OP

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    Was that ever confirmed? I remember it being a rumor being thrown around at the time because some people were getting bricks, but I never knew if it was actually shown/proven.

13. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    I love GW! Specially now that you can switch between classic and GW mode almost instantly. Using Microsdmanagement is a pain and is slow and removing screws everytime you want to add something is also annoying. Plus having a 2nd micro sd filled with .3ds is really practical :)

cvskid and Zetman like this.
  14. Makoto0729
    OP

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    I never knew about the classic switch thing. Though I have a 128GB MicroSD and a 64GB, so I really don't need both. Was thinking of giving my significant other the 64 for their phone.

15. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    Not sure that it was ever proven but I remember people with Legit GW getting bricks too, and GW quickly changing their code.

16. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    I'd say it depends on the use you're making of the 3DS.
    If you're a full pirate, then Gateway can be the best since it allows convenient .3ds and cheats, while CFWs only allow .cia files and not so convenient cheats.
    But if you regularly use retail cartridges (and only want freedom), then it can become annoying to have to boot GW with the red cart inserted then swap with the cartridge you wanted so CFW wins here.

Now, some other things to take in account are that Gateway used to be first but are now always late. For example they currently don't support A9LH, which is the most convenient way to launch anything. So yeah, maybe they'll support it one day and we'll be back to the above comparison.

17. Makoto0729
    OP

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    I have some physical carts I use occasionally and a bunch of legit downloads I don't want to have to redownload. Isn't that an issue with many CFW?

And I've seen A9LH mentioned before, but I don't know what it is. I'm currently using HomeMenuHax to boot into Homebrew Launcher, then GW from that. Is it really faster than booting pretty much directly into homebrew?

18. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    There is no issue about retail carts with any CFW except Gateway since it's the only one that needs a special cart to boot.
    And there is no issue either with legit downloads with any CFW, and not with Gateway either.

Yes because you with menuhax, you "launch directly into homebrew" after 8 seconds, then only you boot into CFW and it takes 8 more seconds (when you're lucky and it works). With A9LH, you boot directly into A9LH after 0 seconds and then you only need the 8 seconds of CFW boot, and it works with a 100% boot rate.
    Plus, you can even boot on A9LH with a brick sysNAND, which you can't do with menuhax, so you can restore your sysNAND almost whatever you do on it.

19. Makoto0729
    OP

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    Do I not need to completely reformat my 3DS for CFW? That's what I read, but it may have been outdated... Or it may be only in reference to certain CFW. I really don't know.
    Oh. Neat!

Last edited by Makoto0729, Mar 26, 2016
  20. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Nope. I never read anything like that (except "formatting is advised (not even compulsory) before downgrading" but no one cares since you're already on 9.2). Or maybe a CFW so old I never heard of it.
    And actually, if you're already using an emuNAND with Gateway on a 9.2 sysNAND, all you have to do is add some files to your SD and you can boot to your emuNAND (same one as that used by Gateway) from your CFW. And without having any red cart insterted as I said.