CFW to force enable anti-aliasing?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Mikemk, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Mikemk
    OP

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    1) Is this possible (including for games)?
    1b) If no, can it be done in the home menu and built in games?
    2) If yes to either, is there already a way to do this?
    3) If no, can someone please make a method, preferably before I install Luma CFW in August?

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Game-specific patches are more practical for this.

3. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    This is not possible. The 3ds uses OpenGL ES 1.1 to render 3D graphics but the API doesn't support any Antialiasing instructions. The only way to accomplish this is to render the picture in 2x/3x/4x resolution and scale it down to the screen. And here it goes again: the 3ds hardware is way underpowered to render higher resolutions. (Lack of RAM and processing power)

4. Mikemk
    OP

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The games can't enable it, but the hardware driver can implement it and add a homescreen toggle.

5. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    excellent, good luck working on it! :)

6. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Hugh... The hardware speaks a specific 3D 'language' and it is called OpenGL ES1.1. This is used by almost all 3D games. Why it won't be practically useable I posted above.

Btw. You would have to recompile the games to use the upscaling anyway so good luck getting the source code (or hack each rendering engine for every game... Would probably crash because of the huge mass of code you would have to load anyway)

Last edited by GothicIII, Jun 29, 2016
  7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Some games already have AA with the 3D disabled. Other than that, you're in for a rough ride trying to enable it. Even then, a lot of the games will probably have issues.

8. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Care to give examples? My knowledge is that AA only works in 2D mode ( they use the overlapping 2nd screen to render 2x resolution) besides that no AA in 3D.

EDIT: ups misread the post forget it

Last edited by GothicIII, Jun 29, 2016