CFW Possibility with rxTools

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Jonathan Toby, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Jonathan Toby
    OP

Jonathan Toby Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2015
    Indonesia
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Sorry, i just wanna ask if i can play with rxtools or other cfw. is it possible to play 3ds games without flash cart. Recently i bought gateway and i am confused, is it worthed to use gateway rather than cfw. And can somebody tells the difference between having gateway and cfw with its cons and pros while playing 3ds games?

My 3ds xl is on 8.1 firmware.

Thanks

Last edited by Jonathan Toby, Jul 22, 2015
  2. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    If you have a GW, you may aswell use it, as it allows you to load .3ds roms from the cart. CFW's like rxTools are based around installing .cias to the emuNAND.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  3. coolfuze

coolfuze GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2013
    First why don't you state what firmware you are on, people are more receptive to answering questions when they have all the facts.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  4. Jonathan Toby
    OP

Jonathan Toby Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2015
    Indonesia
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    So is CFW can install games without GW, or it helps GW to install CIA ? Sorry newbie :yay:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hi thanks for the reply, i have edited the post

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Is it necessary to buy GW to play games, or we can use CFW without GW to play games?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    GW is needed if you want to play roms in .3ds format, rather than going through the hour-long ordeal of installing a CIA file.
    Which to me is a pretty big deal, but that's just about the only advantage GW has over CFW right now.

6. coolfuze

coolfuze GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2013
    CFW is free vs GW which costs money, playing 3ds vs installing files (once) based on that doesn't make gw a contender in my book.

7. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    I just start pushing everbody to cfw....this debate is retarded.

coolfuze likes this.
  8. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Cant GW handle region-free better than the CFW? i recall rxTools had a problem with out-of-region CIA's..
    Nevertheless, th eonly advantage GW has over CFW is being able to load .3ds roms from the cart.

9. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    In an ideal world where people create their CIAs properly, this should never happen. Even if it does, you can grab the .3ds and convert it rather easily to apply such a patch yourself.
    Now, with region free carts, there's the problems going on... though once you're in CFW they're not quite necessary.

Plasma Shadow likes this.
  10. tranxuanthang

tranxuanthang GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2015
    GW maybe better, but it's pretty expensive at my country (30~40$ 64$ extractly), and rxtools is completely free. It helped me save a lot of money

Last edited by tranxuanthang, Jul 23, 2015
  11. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If you do get a GW, I still recommend installing rxTools as a replacement for Classic Mode. GW Classic Mode will undo any illegitimate DLC installed, whereas rxTools allows you to use your retail carts without worries about reinstalling DLC CIA files and save encryption issues when using your retail carts in a non-modded 3DS.

MattKimura likes this.
  12. ewin00

ewin00 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    Indonesia
    yea man, you can save your money to buy an sd card and put lots of games on it. done

tranxuanthang likes this.
  13. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    Depends on what your value of time is. I don't like waiting 30 minutes for a 1.7GB file to install. But I am dealing with it now.

14. coolfuze

coolfuze GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2013
    I normally choose something to watch on netflix whilst I wait or have a bath, the options are limitless :P

15. tranxuanthang

tranxuanthang GBAtemp Regular

Jul 6, 2015
    I only bought a 16gb sdcard for 7$. It's enough for me at least now
    Now i wonder resident evil revelations cia will take how many time to install :d

16. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    There are out of region games (that only came out in that region) that have DLC, such as the Japanese Taiko no Tatsujin. The only way to use the DLC for those games is through Gateway, and no amount of patching the .cia files will fix that. Someone needs to reverse how Gateway is doing it through patching the system ram.

If you don't care for that, then there is really no reason not to use rxTools with Pasta on an O3DS. GW also makes things a bit easier to get started (as far as initial installation of a .cia manager to either sysnand or emunand) for beginners. This is because you can get them in .3ds format as well. Once you have a .cia manager installed, the DLC thing is the only advantage.

With an N3DS, I still prefer the GW. On an O3DS, it's less important since people have made tools that can be launched directly from the browser.

Clear as mud?

17. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    All in all, both Gateway and Rxtools costs money.
    Gateway costs $70 + about $20 for a 32 GB micro SD.
    Rxtools requires you to get a big SD card and this is the reason why I say Rxtools costs money. The CFW is free, but mostly every user will need a big SD card if they plan on being a full on Rxtools user.
    Obviously Rxtools is the cheaper option to go with and you install it the same way.

Also, installing cia may take long, but if you're using a class 10 SD card USH-3 you will get top speeds. It's very manageable if you just don't watch the game install and do something while it installs. Because once you have all the games isntalled, you're set for good. Just be sure you're not considering system transferring anytime soon. Because you can't system transfer ANY of these cia's. I'd keep all the cia files on a computer for backup.

18. coolfuze

coolfuze GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2013
    Don't forget MicroSD in an SD adapter can be used for rxtools for those that only have microsd and don't wan't to spend extra money getting a SD.

MattKimura likes this.
  19. andrew weeks

andrew weeks GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2015
    XD here in Spain it costs 70€