Hacking Official CBHC v1.6 - ColdBoot HaxChi CFW

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After using 'regular' haxchi for some time I think I'm ready to do the CBHC install. Just one question, I obviously know that the haxchi works so there is no risk there, but I see that we are now on v2.5 but I have the regular haxchi 2.4 installed. Should I update the regular to 2.5 and then do the cbhc 2.5 install or can I go straight to cbhc 2.5 with no issues? Thanks and thanks for this great tool!

You can just install the latest CBHC. Also when new versions of CBHC come out you can just run the installer. No need to worry about skipping versions as it just overwrites the rom.zip of the DS title.

Reactions: Orion

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also - if you install CBHC, do NOT then install Haxchi.

You can install Haxchi after you install CBHC. I have both installed. You should use a different title of course because if you use the same title you'll replace the CBHC autoboot menu with the Haxchi configuration as laid out in the config.txt.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can install Haxchi after you install CBHC. I have both installed. You should use a different title of course because if you use the same title you'll replace the CBHC autoboot menu with the Haxchi configuration as laid out in the config.txt.
I used to use haxchi alongside CBHC, but I figured that Homebrew Launcher Channel isn't that much different. It boots up super quick, probably quicker than haxchi. The button shortcuts on haxchi aren't to die for, it takes no time to launch Homebrew Launcher Channel.
While using Haxchi alongside CBHC works, it's more of a peace of mind if you just use HBC instead.

When it comes to average users, DEFINITELY have them use HBC

From your past posts, I can tell you're a guy who likes to take risks! Which is fun to read

Last edited by MattKimura,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use haxchi alongside CBHC, but I figured that Homebrew Launcher Channel isn't that much different. It boots up super quick, probably quicker than haxchi. The button shortcuts on haxchi aren't to die for, it takes no time to launch Homebrew Launcher Channel.
While using Haxchi alongside CBHC works, it's more of a peace of mind if you just use HBC instead.

When it comes to average users, DEFINITELY have them use HBC

From your past posts, I can tell you're a guy who likes to take risks! Which is fun to read

Yes sir, HBC is great and it's what I used to use. The only thing is the compatibility issues. All the homebrew that I used was fully compatible with the HBC version of the Homebrew Launcher. However, a user pointed out that some titles will crash after the HBC version of Homebrew Launcher was launched. He cited Hyrule Warriors and I did a test and confirmed that Hyrule Warriors will always crash the system on launch if HBC is launched prior. Because of this I decided to install a Haxchi title to launch the .elf version of Homebrew Launcher by default. When I used HBC to install Haxchi it locked up after the "success" msg and after a hard power cycle I found that the target DS title was unaltered. I then used the browser exploit to launch HBL and Haxchi installed successfully. I'm pretty sure I've used HBC to update CBHC so maybe it was a fluke but still I no longer trust the reliability of HBC. I would think that most users would be perfectly fine with HBC, I'm just anal and would rather deal with the slightly more hacky way of accesses HBL knowing that whatever I launch will work.

I don't mind doing shit that many consider risky but I'd like to think I'm not reckless (usually). When I did coldboothax (pre CBHC) I checked the title ID of my Haxchi'd title against three different databases and downloaded the modified system.xml to verify the MD5. When I did the hard mod I checked everything for continuity and ensured that nothing was shorted. I'm actually very paranoid when it comes to hardware/software mods. I do tons of sanity checks to make sure I'm not missing a step and that everything is right before I button it up. I just think that some people underestimate how much risk can be mitigated by carefully following instructions and double checking your work.

Reactions: MattKimura

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes sir, HBC is great and it's what I used to use. The only thing is the compatibility issues. All the homebrew that I used was fully compatible with the HBC version of the Homebrew Launcher. However, a user pointed out that some titles will crash after the HBC version of Homebrew Launcher was launched. He cited Hyrule Warriors and I did a test and confirmed that Hyrule Warriors will always crash the system on launch if HBC is launched prior. Because of this I decided to install a Haxchi title to launch the .elf version of Homebrew Launcher by default. When I used HBC to install Haxchi it locked up after the "success" msg and after a hard power cycle I found that the target DS title was unaltered. I then used the browser exploit to launch HBL and Haxchi installed successfully. I'm pretty sure I've used HBC to update CBHC so maybe it was a fluke but still I no longer trust the reliability of HBC. I would think that most users would be perfectly fine with HBC, I'm just anal and would rather deal with the slightly more hacky way of accesses HBL knowing that whatever I launch will work.

I don't mind doing shit that many consider risky but I'd like to think I'm not reckless (usually). When I did coldboothax (pre CBHC) I checked the title ID of my Haxchi'd title against three different databases and downloaded the modified system.xml to verify the MD5. When I did the hard mod I checked everything for continuity and ensured that nothing was shorted. I'm actually very paranoid when it comes to hardware/software mods. I do tons of sanity checks to make sure I'm not missing a step and that everything is right before I button it up. I just think that some people underestimate how much risk can be mitigated by carefully following instructions and double checking your work.
I've been reading a lot about HBL Channel being unreliable and it's true, I had my share of problems with it. One issue is launching Mocha CFW > HBL Channel > FTPIIU Everywhere > Exit then close HBL Channel
It will black screen guaranteed.

Another good option is the browser. I have it setup in a way that when you open it, it will instantly load up the kexploit via the mp4 video player. To do this, you have to type in loadiine.ovh/550/HBLK Then immediately tap on close on the bottom left of the screen. Now press home and close the browser. Go to system settings and exit. There you go, now it will load the exploit every time you open the browser right away, no delays. This is better than the autoboot option on loadiine.ovh, which would have a little wait time before it does the video.
This makes the browser into it's own homebrew launcher.

But yeah I'm not seeing any good sides to HBL Channel, I almost want to get a secondary haxchi again. I trust myself enough, it's even safer if you always reinstall CHBC each time you use the haxchi installer. Really, you don't even need to update haxchi at all so its just install and forget. Then you just continue updating CBHC from then on. Haxchi 2.5 should be good enough for a long time. But like I said, updating haxchi is easy and safe as long as you reinstall CBHC to be on the safe side. Just don't use something like Big Brain Academy if you use Brain Age for CBHC, it's pretty confusing at times.

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just accidentally deleted my HAXCHI installation, i just redownlaoded the original NDS VC game from the eShop is it safe to just redo the install? since the tutorial has a warning... just need a OK from someone to know its safe

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading a lot about HBL Channel being unreliable and it's true, I had my share of problems with it. One issue is launching Mocha CFW > HBL Channel > FTPIIU Everywhere > Exit then close HBL Channel
It will black screen guaranteed.

Another good option is the browser. I have it setup in a way that when you open it, it will instantly load up the kexploit via the mp4 video player. To do this, you have to type in loadiine.ovh/550/HBLK Then immediately tap on close on the bottom left of the screen. Now press home and close the browser. Go to system settings and exit. There you go, now it will load the exploit every time you open the browser right away, no delays. This is better than the autoboot option on loadiine.ovh, which would have a little wait time before it does the video.
This makes the browser into it's own homebrew launcher.

But yeah I'm not seeing any good sides to HBL Channel, I almost want to get a secondary haxchi again. I trust myself enough, it's even safer if you always reinstall CHBC each time you use the haxchi installer. Really, you don't even need to update haxchi at all so its just install and forget. Then you just continue updating CBHC from then on. Haxchi 2.5 should be good enough for a long time. But like I said, updating haxchi is easy and safe as long as you reinstall CBHC to be on the safe side. Just don't use something like Big Brain Academy if you use Brain Age for CBHC, it's pretty confusing at times.

I don't have any issues with the homebrew launcher channel its just that most of the homebrew apps hasn't been updated to support the channel version

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can just install the latest CBHC. Also when new versions of CBHC come out you can just run the installer. No need to worry about skipping versions as it just overwrites the rom.zip of the DS title.

Thanks. Installed and all is working well! Question: I noticed there is an uninstall option, if for some reason I would need to do this, does it uninstall CBHC and revert back to regular Haxchi? Or by uninstalling CBHC it's back to a normal wii u with the VC game back intact? In which case I would lose the ability to access hb offline and would need to go back into browser method?

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also - if you install CBHC, do NOT then install Haxchi.

I just accidentally deleted my HAXCHI installation, i just redownlaoded the original NDS VC game from the eShop is it safe to just redo the install? since the tutorial has a warning... just need a OK from someone to know its safe
@FIX94 ...I won't push too hard, but the quotes above are some more examples of why I believe the Haxchi and CBHC installers should be merged. I completely understand that the coding will end up being exponentially more difficult, at first, but I think the implementation of safeguards would become MUCH easier to maintain on a single installer. You deserve a HUGE "Thank You" for all you have done so far...and please forgive me, if my suggestion/request sounds selfish or demanding. If it comes across that way, it is unintended.

Reactions: yahoo

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I thought it was obvious that I was referring to not installing Haxchi to the same title as CBHC. Most people don't have two exploited VC titles. Look at the people upset that they have to buy one.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was obvious that I was referring to not installing Haxchi to the same title as CBHC. Most people don't have two exploited VC titles. Look at the people upset that they have to buy one.

It wasn't obvious to me. You're not kidding about people being upset that they have to buy something. However, you don't need to have two legit titles to install both CBHC and Haxchi. Of course your CBHC title has to be legit or else you'd brick since the CBHC title would fail the sig check and you'd be boned. The Haxchi title doesn't have to be legit though because you will already be sigpatched when the Wii U menu loads.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks. Installed and all is working well! Question: I noticed there is an uninstall option, if for some reason I would need to do this, does it uninstall CBHC and revert back to regular Haxchi? Or by uninstalling CBHC it's back to a normal wii u with the VC game back intact? In which case I would lose the ability to access hb offline and would need to go back into browser method?

I believe the DS title gets deleted. I know your system.xml will changed back to having the Wii U menu as the default title ID. Regardless uninstalling is not an issue. At most you would just have to redownload the DS title from the eShop.

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't obvious to me. You're not kidding about people being upset that they have to buy something. However, you don't need to have two legit titles to install both CBHC and Haxchi. Of course your CBHC title has to be legit or else you'd brick since the CBHC title would fail the sig check and you'd be boned. The Haxchi title doesn't have to be legit though because you will already be sigpatched when the Wii U menu loads.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe the DS title gets deleted. I know your system.xml will changed back to having the Wii U menu as the default title ID. Regardless uninstalling is not an issue. At most you would just have to redownload the DS title from the eShop.

Is there any advantage to having cbhc with a legit vc title and installing haxchi with a non legit one? what would this be good for?
Its good to know the DS title gets deleted if I uninstall cbhc. Trying to figure out how to safeguard this from the kids messing with the wii u. I already put up parenting controls to prevent deleting games and burried the do not touch file in a folder. I know the chances are slim they cancel the autoboot and somehow get in the menu and uninstall it but anyone who has kids know that a one in a million chance they will find it!

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any advantage to having cbhc with a legit vc title and installing haxchi with a non legit one? what would this be good for?
Its good to know the DS title gets deleted if I uninstall cbhc. Trying to figure out how to safeguard this from the kids messing with the wii u. I already put up parenting controls to prevent deleting games and burried the do not touch file in a folder. I know the chances are slim they cancel the autoboot and somehow get in the menu and uninstall it but anyone who has kids know that a one in a million chance they will find it!

The advantage of that combination is the you can use a Haxchi title without buying a DS game. See the whole idea of Haxchi is to be able to launch homebrew without using the web browser exploit. You could install Haxchi to a non legit DS title without using CBHC. It just wouldn't be as useful. You have first launch Homebrew Launcher by using the web exploit and then from Homebrew Launcher you'd have to enable sigpatching using Mocha CFW, for example. Only then could you use the Haxchi'd title. With CBHC you are sigpatched right away so you can use a non legit Haxchi'd title. Just remember that you cannot install CBHC to a non legit title. You'll brick.

The only way I can think of the kids bricking the Wii U is if they were somehow able to cancel the autoboot and start a CFW other than CBHC and then delete or move the CBHC title to USB. Or they could run a homebrew that has the potential to brick the Wii U (install CBHC to a non legit title?) I believe that if you were to boot into HBL and then exit to the Wii U menu it would still apply sigpatching (I'll confirm in a minute here). I believe formatting the system without first uninstalling Haxchi would also cause a brick. Somebody else would have to confirm or deny that as I'm not about to try. Seems pretty unlikely, but anything can happen when kids are alone with the Wii U. I found a nickel in the optical drive. At least it wasn't a penny.

Edit: Booting to HBL and then exiting still applies CBHC CFW. After exiting back to the Wii U menu I went to settings and the system version showed 99.99.99U. I tried to delete the "DON'T TOUCH ME" title and the protection prevented it from being deleted.

Also I should mention that you shouldn't have to worry about the kids launching CBHC (DON'T TOUCH ME) if they do it will just launch the CBHC autoboot menu.

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

simba115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The advantage of that combination is the you can use a Haxchi title without buying a DS game. See the whole idea of Haxchi is to be able to launch homebrew without using the web browser exploit. You could install Haxchi to a non legit DS title without using CBHC. It just wouldn't be as useful. You have first launch Homebrew Launcher by using the web exploit and then from Homebrew Launcher you'd have to enable sigpatching using Mocha CFW, for example. Only then could you use the Haxchi'd title. With CBHC you are sigpatched right away so you can use a non legit Haxchi'd title. Just remember that you cannot install CBHC to a non legit title. You'll brick.

The only way I can think of the kids bricking the Wii U is if they were somehow able to cancel the autoboot and start a CFW other than CBHC and then delete or move the CBHC title to USB. Or they could run a homebrew that has the potential to brick the Wii U (install CBHC to a non legit title?) I believe that if you were to boot into HBL and then exit to the Wii U menu it would still apply sigpatching (I'll confirm in a minute here). I believe formatting the system without first uninstalling Haxchi would also cause a brick. Somebody else would have to confirm or deny that as I'm not about to try. Seems pretty unlikely, but anything can happen when kids are alone with the Wii U. I found a nickel in the optical drive. At least it wasn't a penny.

Edit: Booting to HBL and then exiting still applies CBHC CFW. After exiting back to the Wii U menu I went to settings and the system version showed 99.99.99U. I tried to delete the "DON'T TOUCH ME" title and the protection prevented it from being deleted.

Also I should mention that you shouldn't have to worry about the kids launching CBHC (DON'T TOUCH ME) if they do it will just launch the CBHC autoboot menu.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Before I installed CBHC I used regular haxchi to install the homebrew channel on the home menu. Now that I have CBHC can't I just launch homebrew from that icon? What is the added benefit of doing that from a non legit VC haxchi? Like you said, either way without CBHC I would have to use the web exploit for homebrew.

I can see you have the same experience with kids as I do! I am expecting one day they will somehow cancel the autoboot by sitting on the remote or something while booting. I don't have any other CFW available so all I am hoping is they don't fool around with the menu to get to the uninstall option. Otherwise yes like you said if they touch the don't touch me it's safe and it also can't be deleted even without parental controls, which I put on so they can't even get to the data management or format the system.

Thanks for the help! Also a big thanks to @FIX94 for this!

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Before I installed CBHC I used regular haxchi to install the homebrew channel on the home menu. Now that I have CBHC can't I just launch homebrew from that icon? What is the added benefit of doing that from a non legit VC haxchi? Like you said, either way without CBHC I would have to use the web exploit for homebrew.

I can see you have the same experience with kids as I do! I am expecting one day they will somehow cancel the autoboot by sitting on the remote or something while booting. I don't have any other CFW available so all I am hoping is they don't fool around with the menu to get to the uninstall option. Otherwise yes like you said if they touch the don't touch me it's safe and it also can't be deleted even without parental controls, which I put on so they can't even get to the data management or format the system.

Thanks for the help! Also a big thanks to @FIX94 for this!

The only reason why I even use a Haxchi title on top of CBHC is because I use the .elf (non channel version) of Homebrew Launcher. I used to use the channel version but I switched back to the .elf version because there are some incompatibilities with some homebrews and titles. If you haven't run into any issues with the channel version I would just stick with that. So for you there probably isn't any reason to have a Haxchi title in addition to CBHC. I mean you could use Haxchi to directly launch a specific homebrew from the Wii U menu, but it's not like it's really a hassle to just pick the homebrew you want from the Homebrew Launcher.

GR-DRACULA

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
BTW guys I think I know what causes that weird cbhc corrupted installation... I describe my actions below.
I tried 3 times to delete haxchi and reinstall the DS game then install haxchi and then cbhc as I should do but it always freezed to me while installing without showing the flushing to nand message even if I had no usb device connected I even didn't have that error while I was installing haxchi but I always used mocha cfw + homebrew launcher rpx to access hbl and install haxchi and cbhc then I gave it a last try without loading mocha 1st. I shutdown my wiiu I deleted cbhc and haxchi, reinstalled the DS rom from eshop (dk jungle cimber) and launched the homebrew launcher 1.3 through loadiine.ovh to install haxchi and then again I launched hbl 1.3 through loadiine.ovh to install cbhc and boom it worked just fine with no freezes and it showed me the flushing to nand message to cbhc installation too.
I guess it's mocha cfw fault or hbl rpx fault... @FIX94

Last edited by GR-DRACULA,

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize there's a point in open-sourcing things and you're the type of person who ruins it for everyone.
Just because it's open source doesn't mean it can't have something saying who created it...

Is just means that the source code is available and able to be modified within the license...

If a person really wants a version without the name of the author they could just fork it and make a build without it... but that if they released it that would be pretty disrespectful although technically not a violation of the GPL assuming the modified source code was released...

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

punderino

aka Big-PeePee Swinger
Trophies
Website
www.anus.trade
XP
Country
United States
Just because it's open source doesn't mean it can't have something saying who created it...

Is just means that the source code is available and able to be modified within the license...

If a person really wants a version without the name of the author they could just fork it and make a build without it but that would be pretty disrespectful to do...
He was also only using it for private usage, it wasn't going to be public.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2: