RELEASE CaVE Database Manager - Create a custom SNES & NES Switch Online game catalog

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by DarkAkuma, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DarkAkuma
    OP

DarkAkuma GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Hello! This post will double as the official release post for CaVE Database Manager as well as for my SNES Online "Full Unlock" hack. And probably general SNES Online/NES Online modding setup & discussion.

CaVE Database Manager

[​IMG]

Description:

CaVE Database Manager is a tool to help you add a custom selection of games to your SNES Online and NES Online apps. With it, you can quickly add many games with default values/settings/art that will at least allow the game to boot up and play. But beyond that, you can customize the values/settings/art to your liking!

It supports both SNES Online, NES Online, Super Famicom Online and Family Computer Online. It will probably support future apps too, like the eventual N64 Online. I will probably even expand it to Classic Consoles, WiiU, 3DS and maybe Wii at some point.
    Download:
    Latest Changes:

SNES Online - Full Unlock

Description:

The SNES Online "Full Unlock" is a modification for the SNES Online app that allows it to support more than the stock list of compatible games/Preset IDs. Additionally, it also enables full support for the traditional .sfroms of the SNESClassic/WiiU format.
    Download:
    Latest Changes (V4.0.0.0, 11-8-19):

Setup

Tools:

Getting Started:

1. First of all, of course you will need the SNES/NES Online app installed on your Switch.

• You will need your app hacked to support custom games. For that you will need to install the "Full Unlock" cheat.

Full Unlock Installation

• You will need your app hacked to support custom games. For that you will need to install the "Full Unlock" cheat.

Full Unlock Installation

• No hack is necessary.

Just make sure you are using v4.0.0.0 of the NES Online app. Older versions will probably not be compatible.

• No hack is necessary.

Just make sure you are using v4.0.0.0 of the Family Computer Online app. Older versions will probably not be compatible.

2. Next, you need your ROM.

• You will now need to convert your .sfc/.smc ROM to .sfrom with SFROM Tool. This format provides settings and information to the emulator so it can both boot the game at all, and play it at its best. And thus it requires a bit of research and referral to the compatibility list. Not every game will run on these official Nintendo emulators. But about 90-95% will if you prepare them correctly!

General .sfrom generation procedure

• No specific conversion is generally needed for .nes ROMs. But for .fds ROMs however, they will need to be converted to .qd with a tool like FDSTool.

3. Once you have your .sfrom, .nes, or .qd file, you will then need to add it to your custom database using CaVE Database Manager.

General directions for setting up a new database, importing ROMs, and setting up their database entry.

4. Copy over your database folders/files to your Switchs SD card.

Remembering what folder you installed the database in, go to that folder and copy the "01008D300C50C000", "0100E8600C504000", "0100D870045B6000" or "0100B4E00444C000" to your SD card,overwriting as necessary.

• Copy to:

• SD:/atmosphere/titles/

• Copy to:

• SD:/sxos/titles/

• Copy to:

• SD:/reinx/titles/

5. Load up the "Online" app (with the Full Unlock cheat enabled if SNES) and enjoy!

Thanks

RadMcFist - For an ton of help with testing, and advice since I don't own a Switch.
    Falo- For providing the initial RSA hack for SNES Online.​

Last edited by DarkAkuma, Nov 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Taka86, MUDD_BR, lordelan and 18 others like this.
  2. RadMcFist

RadMcFist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    I can vouch for the sheer awesomeness of this tool. It's a breeze to get a perfectly working database in a matter or minutes, a far cry over manually editing lclassics.titlesdb only to being left wondering where the hell did I forget a comma that's making the app not load at all.

If anyone has any doubts or needs help with any part of the process, don't hesitate to post in this thread. I hope a lot of people make good use of it for both their SNES and NES Online apps and that people contribute to the SNES VC/CC Compatibility List!

Once again, thanks for the good job, DarkAkuma (and Falo for the initial hack and help in the other thread)!

Last edited by RadMcFist, Nov 4, 2019
    uludag, hippy dave and DarkAkuma like this.
  3. nine0nine

nine0nine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2006
    Albania
    fantastic work, looking forward to compiling my favourites

DarkAkuma and RadMcFist like this.
  4. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    can you support jp/tw/ch virsion?
    TitleID: 0100E8600C504000

5. DarkAkuma
    OP

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I should be able to. I hadent given it much thought, but figured it did already. Now that you mention it, it and the Famicom app would have different title id's... so support wouldnt work right now. But I'll try to get an update out as soon as I can.

EDIT:

I began looking into it, and yea. Current release does not support famicom/super famicom online, like I had hoped. But its not a problem. I've been working on a update to get them properly supported. I'll try and get it done tomorrow.

Last edited by DarkAkuma, Nov 4, 2019
    LadyHaywood and yyoossk like this.
  6. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    wow
    thank you very much!

DarkAkuma likes this.
  7. lisko

lisko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2018
    Italy
    @DarkAkuma Why the full unlock is a code and not an ips patch? I hope it will work on sxos because you say that after the cheat is enabled you have to restart snes online app but I'm pretty sure that when I exit and re-enter sxos will discard the cheats status and will reopen with cheats disabled by default. I don't know if the code is needed early during snes online start up then probably it won't work under sxos. For this reason I think that an ips patch would be more opportune for the purpose. Thank you for your work very nice hack!

8. iNeedScissors61

iNeedScissors61 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2019
    United States
    Is this safe to do on an unmodified switch?

9. DarkAkuma
    OP

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Its a cheat because I concluded that would be the easiest for most people to understand/use. As far as I know, a patch would require that people have the decrypted main file extracted from an .nsp, which from experience is an annoying PITA and not newbie friendly.

I say you "may" need to restart for the atmosphere directions. Not SXOS. I don't have any SXOS directions right now because I did not have anyone who used that CFW to test and provide the detailed instructions for it.

I'm guessing "no"? It requires a CFW, which as far as I can tell mean the Switch would need to be modified.

10. RadMcFist

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    The directions you're talking about are for atmosphere, not sxos, and it says that "you may need restart" the app, not that you have to. If it works, don't restart. If it doesn't, restart.

Have you actually tried using the cheat on SXOS? Extract the Full Unlock file to the correct place in your SD card, and do the same things you would do to activate any other cheat for any other game. I do not use SXOS but I am sure it has a way to manage cheats and to make it remember whether those cheats should always be on or off.

Like darkakuma said, making an ips patch for this hack would complicate things unnecessarily for everyone. Going through about 20 different steps that require using complicated, convoluted methods and external tools that are largely undocumented and sometimes hard to find, just to avoid applying a cheat is not something a sane person would do.

A Switch that's not running on custom firmware can't use LayeredFS or activate cheats, both of which are needed for this. So, like everything else in the Homebrew section of this forum, this cannot run on a Switch that's not running a CFW.

If by "safe" you mean that you're going online with a CFW while using hacks like this, then you're already dead, man. It's as safe as using LayeredFS on any other game: you'll probably get banned if you go online. So don't go online or don't care about a possible banned since the end result is the end either way.

Last edited by RadMcFist, Nov 4, 2019
    iNeedScissors61 likes this.
  11. DarkAkuma
    OP

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    @RadMcFist Thanks. Glad to know my responses were correct. I'm forced to say things like "as far as I know" and "I'm guessing 'no'?", and rely purely on knowledge over experience since I don't have a Switch. So I'm never completely comfortable answering such questions, and just have to do my best. =)

EDIT:

CaVE Database Manager has now been updated to v1.0.1.0.

Changes:
    • Full support for creating and managing Famicom Online/Super Famicom Online databases.
    • Some minor tweaks to the Language Info column values to display properly when Language is changed.
    • Added Traditional and Simplified Chinese options to the Language options.
    • Fixed an issue with the FDS column sometimes showing for SNES/SFC databases.
    • Changing Language will now force a reload of the active database, and refresh which Title variant is shown in the main "Info" column and which are shown in the "Language Info" column, as appropriate.
    • Fixed an issue where the values for the box art files specified in the settings file were not being used.

Last edited by DarkAkuma, Nov 4, 2019
  12. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    Full Unlock" cheat can I use jp version?
    sorry for my poor english

13. DarkAkuma
    OP

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    lol. Now that you mention it... man. I'm really spaced out on this stuff!

Ok. I have a SFC version of the unlock posted on the CaVE Download page now. It's untested, but I think it should work. 3/4 of the hack was the same as the SNES Online version, and I figured out how to translate the 4th to the SFC as quickly as I could. I'm not 100% certain that I got the correct BuildID set correctly for the cheat file though, but I think thats correct as well.

Hope to hear back that it works well! =)

Last edited by DarkAkuma, Nov 5, 2019
    yyoossk likes this.
  14. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    thx!

15. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    install sfc unlock cheat
    snes rom convert switch sfrom
    new game add with CaVE Database Manager.
    but cannot launch snes online jp

16. DarkAkuma
    OP

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I'm afraid that's not much to go one to help you. I'll have to guess at the issue.

1. The SFC Online Full Unlock hack may not work. As I said its untested, but everything lined up right so that it "should" work.
    2. If you mean that you "cannot launch games", specifically custom games, perhaps you do not have the cheat enabled?
    3. You may be on reinx, which I recently found out probably does not have a valid method of cheat usage.
    4. The BuildID I used may be incorrect, though I would think that would just cause the cheat to be ignored. Not prevent the app/games from loading.
    5. There's an issue with the titledb formatting that's unique to SFC Online, and I need to figure it out. (I mention this because I'm currently having such an issue with trying to improve support of the strings.lng file.)
    That last one, if its the case, try opening the titlesdb file manually in a text editor and replacing instances of the text "\u3000" with ''" and "\u00A0" with " ". The characters inside the quotations may not show up correctly on this forum, if not, just use a single space. (I'll least have a bandaid fix for this issue in the next version of CaVE, so this doesnt have to be fixed manually..)

Last edited by DarkAkuma, Nov 5, 2019
  17. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    atmosphere with edizon
    build id ok
    cheat enabled
    but cannot lunch

titledb format different
    but i fixed it
    but cannot lunch

Last edited by yyoossk, Nov 5, 2019
  18. RadMcFist

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Do you mean that the Super Famicom Online app does not open or that the custom games inside it do not open?

If it's the app that doesn't open, on what screen does it hang (black screen with Switch logo or red screen with Super Famicom controllers)? This makes a big difference in knowing what went wrong.

Try removing the added games from the SD card (just delete the lclassics.titlesdb file or move it somewhere else if you don't already have a backup), but leave the unlock cheat and see if the SFC Online app launches now. If it does launch, then the problem was with the added custom games and not with the cheat. Also, please tell us what CFW are you using (atmosphere, sxos, etc).

The Build ID is definitely correct or they wouldn't be able to see the cheat on Edizon.

Last edited by RadMcFist, Nov 5, 2019
    DarkAkuma likes this.
  19. DarkAkuma
    OP

Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Please follow @RadMcFist 's advice when mine is not sufficent. He will know more about these issues than I do.

That said, I have tested databases generated by my tool with SFC Online. Outside of that "\u3000" & "\u00A0" issue, once that's manually fixed, I can verify that you should be able to get to the menu. I can with yuzu. yuzu can't boot games either way, so that's as far as I can personally get.

I tested with just a single game, no customization after import other than removing ROM release/dump info from the name.

So I can only assume at this point that your "but cannot launch" means that a game you have chosen will not boot. I'll assume its a custom added game too, not one of the stock games. But if the stock games don't boot either it would be helpful for us to know.

So yea. Assuming a custom added game does not boot, it may be a game specific issue. Meaning the game itself was not setup correctly with SFROM Tool, or has general compatibility issues. In this case we would need to know the game, if a VC patch or Robins patch was used (green dot in the lower right corner of SFROM Tool when making the .sfrom), what Preset ID was used, and if a translation or hack patch was used.

EDIT:

I just noticed an issue that could very much be your problem yyoossk. In fact, it means that Super Famicom support is currently broken.

But, theres a temporary workaround! I'm in the middle of a adding a new feature, so I cant make a fix build atm. Sorry.

The issue is that CaVE does not generate a .sfromsig for the Super Famicom Online. Simple mistake in the code. I knew I was going to forget some FC/SFC checks somewhere!

For now the work around is, download this dummy sfromsig. Copy it, rename it to the same name as your .sfrom file and place it in the same folder.

For example, say you .sfrom is named "6194_j.sfrom". Rename a copy of the above sig file to "6194_j.sfromsig".

So in your games folder you will have.
    • 6194_j.sfrom
    • 6194_j.sfromsig
    • S-6194_j.xtx.z
    • S-6194_j-details.xtx.z
    I hope this helps. Sorry for the bug!

Last edited by DarkAkuma, Nov 6, 2019
  20. yyoossk

yyoossk GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2017
    Japan
    wow