Hardware Case to protect the console air vent while docked?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No idea if there is such a thing (I don't think it would be really necessary), but I think it's better not to cover it, you know, it is more probable that you will break it because of turning it on while covered and overheating it without realizing it, than because of dust.

That said, I guess you could make kind of an "umbrella" to go over the air vent, leaving some distance so it can breath, I don't think it exists but sure you could DIY quite easily.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use something to cover the dock and the switch together, use a plastic bag or light towel or something, just something to cover it to prevent it from collecting dust.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd have to wait a very, very, very long time for it to collect enough dust to matter. Maybe a few years without any use whatsoever in an old basement would do it, but still that wouldn't be enough.

You wouldn't have to worry about dust screwing you over.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it starts getting dusty, turn it off (really off, not just sleep) and shoot some compressed air into the vents. Or if you're confident and have the right skills/tools, open it up before blowing all the innards with compressed air.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your going to blow air inside you better make sure you put something inside through the vent to prevent the fan from spinning, if it spins too fast it might produce enough electricity to damage it's line or some component...
You'd have to wait a very, very, very long time for it to collect enough dust to matter. Maybe a few years without any use whatsoever in an old basement would do it, but still that wouldn't be enough.

You wouldn't have to worry about dust screwing you over.
A few months here on my room I'm sure the switch + dock would look pretty brown so fast.

My PC in 1 or 2 months, the air entrance filter is fully covered by a thick layer of dust, I have to keep vacuum cleaning it :), My PS4 Pro gets a bit gray in just a week, jeez...

Last edited by guily6669,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I like keeping my Switch on the dock, but the air vent is pointed up and just receiving dust while not in use. Is there any protection for the switch designer for it while docked?
There is a pretty high fin count heatsink directly underneath that vent, so I don't think it would be much of a problem as most of the dust wouldn't get through. It's a good idea to take your Switch out of the dock when you're not using it anyway, and power it off completely, as it drains the battery a lot while in standby and you can't turn it fully off while it's docked. The battery is going to wear out a lot faster that way.
If your going to blow air inside you better make sure you put something inside through the vent to prevent the fan from spinning, if it spins too fast it might produce enough electricity to damage it's line or some component...

A few months here on my room I'm sure the switch + dock would look pretty brown so fast.

My PC in 1 or 2 months, the air entrance filter is fully covered by a thick layer of dust, I have to keep vacuum cleaning it :), My PS4 Pro gets a bit gray in just a week, jeez...
[/QUOTE]
You'd be surprised at how little dust such things collect. My desktop has lots of huge fans and seems to absorb dust all the way from outer space. After a few months it's caked in the stuff. However, my laptop and media PC don't seem to collect much dust at all, and it's not like they have dust filters or anything. The laptop is almost 5 years old and still relatively dust free, the media PC is older but I opened it to clean it out at around the 3-4 year mark and there wasn't much of anything there to clean.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
There is a pretty high fin count heatsink directly underneath that vent, so I don't think it would be much of a problem as most of the dust wouldn't get through. It's a good idea to take your Switch out of the dock when you're not using it anyway, and power it off completely, as it drains the battery a lot while in standby and you can't turn it fully off while it's docked. The battery is going to wear out a lot faster that way.

It should manage power input and keep it at max. It is possible to have full turned off in the dock and I have it. Here's my trick: I turn of the console right above the dock, and while it is turning off, I put it in the dock. That way it won't boot itself. It's like turning off while charging in a type-C cable.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd be surprised at how little dust such things collect. My desktop has lots of huge fans and seems to absorb dust all the way from outer space. After a few months it's caked in the stuff. However, my laptop and media PC don't seem to collect much dust at all, and it's not like they have dust filters or anything. The laptop is almost 5 years old and still relatively dust free, the media PC is older but I opened it to clean it out at around the 3-4 year mark and there wasn't much of anything there to clean.
Yep, same here, my PC has 7 fans, 2 120mm high pressure high flux on the CPU, 2 120mm on entrance, 1 90mm above and 2 on the back 1 120mm and 1 90mm.

Not to mention the 3 huge fans on the GPU :)

But my I7 2600K is at 4.9ghz on air and the ram clocked at 2133mhz DDR3

It picks thick dust on the front like hell.

D

Deleted-355425

i'm starting to realize how little you guys hoover and clean your house. god damn.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_20180325_003131.jpg
I vacuum cleaned less than a month, see the god damn dust my PC already have :)

And that's my PC modded case btw... I have cut on the other side a nice design but still haven't got acrylic to close it, it had transparent tape :grog:.

Ps: quality is not much good because I used Nvidia shields camera;).

D

Deleted-355425

View attachment 118651
I vacuum cleaned less than a month, see the god damn dust my PC already have :)

And that's my PC modded case btw... I have cut on the other side a nice design but still haven't got acrylic to close it, it had transparent tape :grog:.

Ps: quality is not much good because I used Nvidia shields camera;).

Do it every week.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: is it difficult?