Capcom for sale

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God. Everytime a company is mentioned, everyone here always wants Nintendo to buy it.
"Oh, Nintendo should buy Atlus!"
"Oh, Nintendo should buy SEGA!"
"Oh, Nintendo should buy Capcom!"
And so on.

Reactions: TyBlood13

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
It just seemed you favored a Nintendo buyout because they'd benefit from Capcom's "mature" titles and would revive Megaman.

Nah. I've never been into Megaman all that much, to be honest, but I know that there's enough of a market out there for a new game that it seems stupid of Capcom to keep ignoring the fans. I own a PS3 and a Wii U and intend on buying a PS4 next year when I'm less strapped for cash and, to be honest, most of the Capcom games I'm into would probably be better on the more powerful PS4. I wouldn't say no to a new Breath of Fire for the 3DS, though.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Nintendo take some kind of industry-shaking action to Wii U's fortunes turn around too, since my entire household is heavily invested in the platform with the number of games and accessories we have.

I know why censorship is used, and I think most of the reasons for it are stupid, we have rating systems for a reason.

Sometimes the ratings system is part of the reason for censorship. For instance, covering up a bit of side boob can make a difference with a large number of additional gamers in the target audience by lowering the age rating.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom would be at home in Nintendo's hands. Both companies have a great and long history together, not to mention a lot in common spiritually/creatively.

Capcom in the hands of Microsoft on the other hand would be like a soulless being baring only the likeness of the franchises we once knew and loved.

Capcom in the hands of Sega...

...come on, Sega hasn't been great since the early 90's. Well there was Shadow of the Colossus but other than that, Sega no longer stands out like it used to.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Capcom would be at home in Nintendo's hands. Both companies have a great and long history together, not to mention a lot in common spiritually/creatively.

I was about to say something but then I sat down and thought about it.

Once legendary powerhouses, creators of some of the iconic parts of earlier gaming, both caught near fatal cases of sequelitis, both seem to be hounded by fans of earlier years (and possibly even the sequelitis mad phase) that think returning to their infancy would somehow make the megabucks. About the only difference is Capcom probably got a case of grim und gritty where Nintendo just got a case of the raging stupid.

Seeing there is nobody left for them, most of their friends have gone and their addled minds make it unlikely there will be anybody new then the logical conclusion to shack up together and spawn a few rat babies before death... hopefully we can throw some peanuts.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Capcom in the hands of Microsoft on the other hand would be like a soulless being baring only the likeness of the franchises we once knew and loved.

Capcom in the hands of Sega...

...come on, Sega hasn't been great since the early 90's. Well there was Shadow of the Colossus but other than that, Sega no longer stands out like it used to.

Capcom, who have been criticised for anti-consumer practices in recent times, would be a bad fit for Microsoft, who have been criticised for anti-consumer practices?

btw SotC is a Sony gaem.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
capcom.jpg

Today in the latest news of June 17, 2014, today Capcom's shareholders have decided by voting to end their takeover defense today. It was created in 2008 to prevent outside companies from buying most of their stock, but most of the shareholders voted against renewing in their latest investor meeting, which is now (currently) available to buyers.

Finally, I've been waiting on this for a while, this is now your chance Nintendo! this would be great for you since all of Capcom's titles are widely known, and also is a third party company. But again if you think about it, Sony has (PS4 Exclusive) Deep down, and own the rights to the Resident Evil movies, so It might not go well with Nintendo, anyhow I hope it goes between these two great companies.

In an interesting twist, Capcom shareholders have voted to end their takeover defense. Set up in 2008, the takeover defense was a series of strategies designed to prevent outside companies from buying up a majority of Capcom’s stock, but shareholders voted against renewing it at their latest investor’s meeting, which opens the company up for potential buyers.

This by no means signifies an end to Capcom as a third party developer – an outside company would still have to pay a hefty sum to acquire over 50% of Capcom’s stock – but it’s now a distinct possibility. Capcom is no longer the lucrative giant it once was, but any potential buyers would gain exclusive rights to important franchises like Street Fighter, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, and many more. What company, if any, will make them an offer they can’t refuse?

:arrow:Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn it, screwed up the merging and now the original thread has the new one's title. Anyway it is all together now. Normally lock and redirect would have been done but Logan97 actually made the effort to do a news post so that did not quite feel right.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I would hate it if Nintendo took over Capcom - the company has many mature IP's like Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry etc. which would fall into the realm of obscurity or misuse with Nintendo's PC-friendly management looming over the developers. Microsoft is another poor candidate - they ran Rare into the ground with crappy avatar games and have thoroughly proven that they're too irresponsible of a kid to own a puppy. I'd be happier if Sony took them under their wing, that or a software-oriented company.

GC: RE Zero, RERemake.

Post Nintendo: RE 5 and RE 6.

No, thank you.

I don't know what people still think that Nintendo puts rainbows and cute mushrooms in every game. Look at Bayonetta, TLS, Xenoblade, Madworld, etc.

Btw, I'll give them 2 dollars for the company. Is it enough?

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom, who have been criticised for anti-consumer practices in recent times, would be a bad fit for Microsoft, who have been criticised for anti-consumer practices?

Ok, that IS pretty funny! :)

I was about to say something but then I sat down and thought about it.

Once legendary powerhouses, creators of some of the iconic parts of earlier gaming, both caught near fatal cases of sequelitis, both seem to be hounded by fans of earlier years (and possibly even the sequelitis mad phase) that think returning to their infancy would somehow make the megabucks. About the only difference is Capcom probably got a case of grim und gritty where Nintendo just got a case of the raging stupid.

Seeing there is nobody left for them, most of their friends have gone and their addled minds make it unlikely there will be anybody new then the logical conclusion to shack up together and spawn a few rat babies before death... hopefully we can throw some peanuts.

If they teamed up, I'd hope they did not just remain in the past...
...sure, pay homage to the past, polish it off a bit, add a little innovation here and there, but for God's sake, push ahead, be creative, don't play it safe, be innovative and ignore the marketing charts most of all!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If they teamed up, I'd hope they did not just remain in the past...
...sure, pay homage to the past, polish it off a bit, add a little innovation here and there, but for God's sake, push ahead, be creative, don't play it safe, be innovative and ignore the marketing charts most of all!
somehow I doubt that would save capcom

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, guys, guys, let me clarify your thought process here:

You only want Nintendo to buy Capcom and all of these other developers that have gone up for sale the past few years for one reason: the only way Nintendo can get third party games is by buying the companies and turning them into either first or second party titles. I get it; you really, really don't want the Wii U to fail. Trust me, acquiring Capcom in its current state won't necessarily be a boon to anybody.

Now, Nintendo is a god awful fit. Quoting some projects from around the start of this millennium does not a good case make. Capcom's mature IPs in no way belong in the hands of a company so heavily invested in creating a family friendly system that the abomination known as Miiverse exists. That would pretty much put Capcom in the grave. But oh, you might get MML3, so it's totally worth killing off every other franchise with bad sales, right? Right guys? Right?

When it comes to Microsoft or Sony acquiring, I dunno. Microsoft might be the most likely of the three based on releases from Capcom these past few years, but we've already seen what happens when Microsoft takes over what was once a pretty good game development company. Sony, I honestly have no idea how they would handle it. Regardless, it might get more games on the PS4, but then you still fall into the trap of limited exposure to series by exclusionary exclusive rights, removing the competition from the equation. Arguably, these sales issues wouldn't be as big of an issue, as the types of games Capcom's markets these days are certainly more suited to Sony's or Microsoft's consoles, but there is a pretty great risk of sales taking a large hit if Capcom goes exclusive with any one of the big three.

Thus, the conclusion and most likely outcome: a third party should buy Capcom. Sega seems likely since their holding company would certainly have the funds to make it so. Regardless, as long as a third party gets it, Capcom can probably keep operating as they want to with hopefully some minor tweaks from above telling them that eighteen versions of the same Street Fighter game is overkill.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?