Feedback Can't use Tor proxy with the site?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that is most likely the reason it happens to you. there's a plugin for vb to see through proxies, so I'm sure there's one for xenforo.

HelloShitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
yeah, that is most likely the reason it happens to you. there's a plugin for vb to see through proxies, so I'm sure there's one for xenforo.
I think that is to be used by the site maintainers ??? I just added an exception in my browser proxy, for now!
This is a privacy concern to me!

Reactions: godreborn

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
hi, quick feedback:

i have been using tor as my main browser for some years now. because i can, i dont feel like arguing about that here and now

i have had about maybe one or two ip address banned pages in years, until some months ago, i didnt note when exactly but maybe around the start of the year? since then, browsing gbatemp on tor is just hitting the "change identity" button a lot of times because a lot of times it would spit the ip banned page. im talking about maybe having to reload a thread 10 times to see it.

at some point like, last week maybe? idk, i got the first ever "you are banned" on the gbatemp "home", the main page, not any thread or anything, just the main page. that made me feel "oh no" about the whole thing. then i think it was yesterday, the page was down for a bit on manteinance and since then i havent experienced a single ip banned page, so maybe they touched something that had to do with that

gbatemp is legit the last thing i still have an account on in the whole web, other than a few things that have web clients as an extra thing. but if they make it unusable with tor, i guess it was a good run. it looks like its solved for me now tho, and i hope it keeps like that

i've been meaning to make a thread about this for months but then i didnt. life, yknow. and also at some point i got semiscared that if i were to log in and then after logging in the page identifies me as a bad ip, it would ban me

maybe the autoban thing would benefit from a little more "not so strict rules" or whatever, if anything, do it for the kiddos that try to browse this page on their schools and are not familiar with vpn to skip network blocks lol

Reactions: HelloShitty

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically people were abusing it, and over time alot of tor addresses were banned. I have no control over that aspect of the site as far as ip bans and proxy detection and such, thus the problem with free solutions like tor.

If you are really concerned about privacy, maybe consider investing in a vpn, theres plenty of cheaper ones out there, I use PIA myself ( though the real cheap bottom of the barrel ones have reliability problems and questionable data retention rules ) . Don't know how someone uses a tor 24/7, speeds were god awful whenever I tried that, that is what forced my hand to buy a VPN sub.

Reactions: Flame

HelloShitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Basically people were abusing it, and over time alot of tor addresses were banned. I have no control over that aspect of the site as far as ip bans and proxy detection and such, thus the problem with free solutions like tor.

If you are really concerned about privacy, maybe consider investing in a vpn, theres plenty of cheaper ones out there, I use PIA myself ( though the real cheap bottom of the barrel ones have reliability problems and questionable data retention rules ) . Don't know how someone uses a tor 24/7, speeds were god awful whenever I tried that, that is what forced my hand to buy a VPN sub.
Yeah, I use ProtonVPN (free too) sometimes, but I have to login everytime. Not sure I can automate the process of the login. Have to verify that so that I don't have to perform the login every time I go online or every time the VPN connection goes down or something like that!

HelloShitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
U know tor does not have privacy as their top most concern?
I think I know what you mean. They are for anonymity instead, right?
But using Tor and/or VPN should cover most concerns. Along with some other procedures like cookie blockers, tracking blockers, script blockers, etc, and a few other procedures will also help.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have no problems with using a VPN on this website. But just remember that sometimes you would get a message stating that your IP got blocked, this is because you are rate-limited to either the following:

1.) Performing too many requests on the server.
2.) To refrain automated spam from being posted on the forums.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a vpn, but I do use usenet for most of my download needs. I've never gotten an isp warning for downloading something I shouldn't. that is a paid service. in fact, I paid for another year today actually. $47/year, when it's normally $96 with over 4,000 days of retention. that $47 is from a black Friday sale a few years ago, and it's that price for life now. ;)

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a vpn, but I do use usenet for most of my download needs. I've never gotten an isp warning for downloading something I shouldn't. that is a paid service. in fact, I paid for another year today actually. $47/year, when it's normally $96 with over 4,000 days of retention. that $47 is from a black Friday sale a few years ago, and it's that price for life now. ;)
I've never got ISP warnings from downloading something that I shouldn't. Terms and conditions all depend on what ISP you are using, some do file DMCA letters.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never got ISP warnings from downloading something that I shouldn't. Terms and conditions all depend on what ISP you are using, some do file DMCA letters.
well, I know mine does, because I used to get them when using torrents. I just find usenet better, since what I'm using now is sonarr, which downloads, sorts, renames, and checks anything I download. it scans ever 15 minutes, like an rss feed, without any input from me, then does all that. I don't really download games anymore, so it's mostly tv shows from streaming services. usenet providers can block stuff that are DMCA, but typically, within 15 minutes is more than enough time to download what you want.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I got 2 DMCA letters, and they were from watching The Cobbler movie and downloading a torrent of FF8 PS1 ISOs. If I get a 3rd DMCA letter, Comcast will kick me off their platform, so I bought a VPN from PIA. Now I torrent whatever I want without hassle.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I get a 3rd DMCA letter, Comcast will kick me off their platform, so I bought a VPN from PIA. Now I torrent whatever I want without hassle.
Nice that you got a VPN in the end of it all. :)

Last edited by SylverReZ,
Reactions: Jayro

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 2 DMCA letters, and they were from watching The Cobbler movie and downloading a torrent of FF8 PS1 ISOs. If I get a 3rd DMCA letter, Comcast will kick me off their platform, so I bought a VPN from PIA. Now I torrent whatever I want without hassle.

Surprise it took you the third notices to get a vpn, then again it is funny you get a notice just from watching.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ill only torrent from the internet archive, usually i just grab roms from my prefered sites. (You may just want to delete the torrent after you download it for safey reasons)

However i do torrent some Anime because fuck crunchyroll. Ill rather pay a subscription to winrar than a site that blocks you from rewinding back to 0 secs

Reactions: Jayro and SylverReZ

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
radarr works with movies, but I never installed it, because setting up movies might be a waste of time, since there's usually not that many for any franchise. I just look up movies with nzb hydra 2, which is linked to two sites that I'm a member of via your api key, so it can search both at the same time for anything matching the movie you want.
Post automatically merged:

btw, I believe at least sonarr can work with torrent sites, but you probably won't be protected. with usenet, you're not connected to anyone. I've used it since I was in college, when my college received over 10,000 illegal download warnings, in which you could be cut off after three strikes (they sent a mass email). I just used usenet without a care in the world. :P that's actually how I met the asshole Gregory Rasputin, so I knew him before the ps3 scene. he was using a different name though.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ill only torrent from the internet archive, usually i just grab roms from my prefered sites. (You may just want to delete the torrent after you download it for safey reasons)

However i do torrent some Anime because fuck crunchyroll. Ill rather pay a subscription to winrar than a site that blocks you from rewinding back to 0 secs
I don't recommend torrenting from IA as the download speed can be very slow. I'd just download the files seperately using "JDownloader".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.