jilipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi people,

sorry about posting here. My post in Noob Paradise must have gotten overlooked.

My problem:
I'm on a fully working mod chip not trying to mess with softmod stuff. I just want system menu 4.0E to run stuff off of sd cards. I find it very hard to keep the essential stuff apart from tutorials for softmodding.

I installed 4.0E using waninkoko's installer. Now I can't patch IOS60, though. Whenever I choose to have it patched, the installer freezes between downloading and installing.
Also, when I install preloader it bricks my wii. I then have to use it to get back to hbc and either downgrade, or reinstall the sysmenu 4.0 from a wad.

I tried the offline 4.0 tutorial, but couldn't downgrade IOS35 - another freeze.

Do I need any cIOS? I have cIOS36 rev 10 installed. Otherwise no cIOS to my knowledge.

Where can I start sorting this mess out? Is there someway of cleaning up this mess of IOSes for a clean start?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

jilipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, but I guess what you're saying applies to cIOSCORP problems, not to mine.

Anyway, I tried it. Installed it once: brick. Installed it again: the installer told me it was there already, skipped moving the system menu and reinstalled preloader. Still bricked. Tried a third time: bricked.

It's been version 0.29 all along.

jilipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have homebrew channel installed if that's what you mean. Otherwise as I stated earlier I don't have any cIOS pack installed and nothing that has to do with softmodding.

In the meantime after trying the 4.0 offline tutorial again, I seem to have wrecked my system to the point that I can't start cIOS downgrader any more. IOS downgrader doesn't start, either. Trying to start them just resets the wii.

I can now only use the crippled 4.0E or install preloader that bricks the system menu. I can change back and forth between the two but it's always either or.

So what now? Can I use NUS Downloader to get my IOSes back to normal? Is there a list of IOS revisions somewhere so I'd know what to download?

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
Using the CIOS and IOS is usually just to get the disk channel to play backups. When I upgraded I had full functions without touching the IOS but the disc channel would not recognise backups or discs from other regions.

Try going here http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=152838 and download the firmware downgrader. Downgrade to 3.2 or something then try to upgrade again. As I dont have a chip I dont know if it causes issues with 4.0 but at least you should get your Wii back.

As Preloader patches the IOS60 when you install it then that would account for the error you got when you tried to patch it.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is how I did it with no problems:

1. Downgrade to 3.2 (use ARC or whatever)
2. Make sure cIOS is installed (preferably rev10)
3. Do an official Nintendo update
4. Use IOS downgrader (not cIOS downgrader) to downgrade all the old IOSs.
5. Install the patched IOS60
6. Install preloader 0.29

I don't know why people don't want to do the official update, as long as you have cIOS installed you'll be fine (only problem I had was that IOS downgrader didn't downgrade BC to v2, but that wont be a problem for anybody else).

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
wiistarter said:
Using the CIOS and IOS is usually just to get the disk channel to play backups. When I upgraded I had full functions without touching the IOS but the disc channel would not recognise backups or discs from other regions.

So did you downgrade again to get the disc channel to recognise backups from other regions? (That's what I did) I tried many different hacks.ini but never worked.

jilipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
Using the CIOS and IOS is usually just to get the disk channel to play backups.

ok. So I don't need cIOS. Thanks.

QUOTE said:
Downgrade to 3.2 or something then try to upgrade again. As I dont have a chip I dont know if it causes issues with 4.0 but at least you should get your Wii back.

Ok, so I managed to get back down to 3.2E using ARC. I now have what I started out with, which is good news.

QUOTE said:
As Preloader patches the IOS60 when you install it then that would account for the error you got when you tried to patch it.

You mean cause I would be patching an already patched file? Well I ran the IOS60 installer/patcher before I installed preloader.
If preloader patches it the way the installer should that's great. Only problem remaining is that preloader wrecks my system menu.
Or did you mean that preloader bricks the wii, cause I damage IOS60 trying to patch it with the installer first? I don't know if I tried patching it every single time before I installed preloader. Maybe.

Anyway, thanks for the help wiistarter.

2. Make sure cIOS is installed (preferably rev10)

You mean cIOS36 rev10? Or something completely else?

I guess that the official update is the only thing I haven't tried, yet.
Thanks supercool.

Having a modchip and hbc installed, I guess there isn't anything I can screw up for good by installing the official 4.0E update, right? ...right?

At any rate I'm going to wait until I fully understand step two of yours.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if all you're looking for is to play unofficial channels and crap from your SD Menu this is what i did, worked perfectly too.

install cIOS36_rev9 (cIOS36_rev10 will be fine too
smile.gif
)
update through nintendo official update
then install preloader

preloader will patch your IOS60 for you. easy
smile.gif

and since you have a modchip i dont have to bother with the other two steps about installing cIOSCORP and mios patcher Xi to play backups
tongue.gif

hope that helps!

wiistarter

Trophies
XP
Country
When you first install preloader it will patch IOS60. When you reboot you will get a filesystem corupt message. Hold down the reset button on the front of your wii and turn on to boot into preloade then boot into HBC then install Preloader again. This time when you reboot it should be fine.

Posts merged

Patryc said:
So did you downgrade again to get the disc channel to recognise backups from other regions? (That's what I did) I tried many different hacks.ini but never worked.

Yup. Had to manually install all the IOS manually and everything was fine after that

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Preloader doesn't install the signing bug fix (it patches something else), so if you want to load fake signed channels from sd, you will need to install the patched ios 60, before installing preloader (if you install the patched ios60 after preloader, it will probably brick your wii since preloader would no longer be able to load IOS60 (since preloaders patch would be removed). And whoever said cIOS is used only to get the disk channel to play backups, you are wrong (I think you are thinking of CIOSCORP). cIOS has many uses, none of which are loading backups from the disc channel (since the sysmenu IOS is not patched, it just adds a patched ios36 as ios249, and as of rev10, as ios250 version 0xffff). Never do any sort of update without a cIOS installed (anything past rev3 which added the ability to overwrite channels with lower versions), so that if you need to downgrade you can. If you have no version of IOS with the signing bug, you are essentially locked out of homebrew (at least anything that needs to modify the nand).

jilipop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can't freaking believe it. Finally it all works!

To a large part that's thanks to you guys so I'm very grateful. Thank you!

My problems with preloader were due to a very dumb mistake on my part: I must have unwittingly messed with the settings as it was looking for the system menu in IOS61 rather than IOS60. Corrected that and suddenly preloader and sysmenu 4.0 harmonized. I apologize for wasting your time with that.

About the sd functionality:
Supercool's instructions didn't do the trick as I still couldn't patch IOS60. However, AFTER installing preloader I installed a file named "cios60.wad" that I found somewhere on the web. I figured it had to be an already patched IOS60. Then I had a brick again, like two days ago when I first tried this. This time around, though, I tried reinstalling preloader kind of like wii starter suggested and that made everything work.

One last time: thanks to everyone on this thread!

EDIT: Wait a minute. I just read this line again:
QUOTE said:
5. Install the patched IOS60
Guess you meant that all along, didn't you? Duh, I didn't get it until after I had reinvented that damn wheel. Sorry. Point the next noob to cios60.wad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F