1. Chrisssj2

OP Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    When I try to install a game on my friend switch who is using 10.0.4 with latest Atmosphere. via tinfoil with latest sigpatches. I am getting failed to write placeholder error with ANY game im trying to install on the sd card as the target. if I select Nand as target to install, all games work normally. Switch homescreen shows no icon with infinite loading symbol. Any idea why I can't install games on sd card?

I have tried setting archive bit via hekate, no change.
    SD card is not fake. samsung.

2. duckbill007

duckbill007 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Filesystem on your SD is corrupted. Reformat it.

3. Zkajavier

Zkajavier GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    It can be that:
    - Your SD card is fake and you're out of space even if it says it has free space.
    - Your SD filesystem is corrupted, as mentioned above. Reformating might work.
    - Another game installation failed and tinfoil clogs itself and won't let any other to get installed, this happens to me sometimes, I just restart the Switch, or try to install a game through USB, and then using Tinfoil works again. Who knows why this works to me, but it does.

4. Chrisssj2

Netherlands
    First thing I tried. 0 effect.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

SD is NOT fake. and reformat doesn't give the result intended.
    I have tried with many games. It is not one game. Any game fails when SD card is target. Restarting switch doesn't do anything.

5. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Run a h2testw test with the card being empty, copy your stuff off to a computer.

6. duckbill007

duckbill007 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Creating of placeholder or witing to placeholder is a pure FS operations, that does not involve any checks/signatures or anything else. So, errors in these operations can be only from physical or logical inability to write data. So, either FS is damaged, or sdcard slot (hardware) is damaged.

7. Chrisssj2

Netherlands
    Friend fixed it. some single folder had chinese marks..

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - placeholder, install, SDCard