Can't fix computer....

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by triassic911, Jul 7, 2009.

Jul 7, 2009

Can't fix computer.... by triassic911 at 11:43 PM (851 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. triassic911
    OP

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Hi. I have a laptop that runs winxp. This morning when I turned on my laptop, I got a blue screen at the winxp logo boot up screen. It said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I thought it would be an easy fix running CHKDSK /R on the recovery console from the winxp disc. It was working fine until chkdsk got until 48% and then my computer shut down. I let it cool because it was really hot. After 2 or so hours I tried again with it next to the window. It ran until 28% and shut off again. This is a problem because I cannot fix a simple problem due to overheating. What can I do? What are my alternatives? Please help. Thanks.

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    desk fan on full whack pointed at the laptop to cool it

you can could also power down and blow (using air from your mouth) out any dust and debris in the fans .... warning DO NOT USE A VACUUM CLEANER HERE it will cause static electricity this is not good for components!

from the microsoft support site

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. triassic911
    OP

United States
    I really don't want to have to resort to opening it. I would hate fucking it up by accident. ... Why must it heat up doing the diagnostic?

4. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So this is a more than normal heat up? Then as mentioned, break out the fans, stick it over a box fan that is itself propped up to allow air flow or stick it over an AC duct as the excess heat is causing the shut down. I don't suppose you can see a bios level heat sensor/fan data, possibly watch what fan is/is not running or part is heating up? Or a diagnostic program ran from the CD only, no HD installed OS needed so you can see heat sensor data under stress?

If the system isn't fried completely then the processor is probably OK, it's just the power supply that's shot, not sure if those can be replaced on a laptop... Why I stick to desktops, easily swap out parts till it starts working and you find the bad part.

Or is the HD making funny noises? Have you tried a drive fitness test to see if maybe the heat is because the HD is shot and it's not running smoothly? The DFT's can normally tell if there are any serious issues right away, and then a quick or extended test would show if the drive is stable (while you run it in fan city/let it run the test in the fridge [​IMG] ) These programs are normally available from the HD manufacturer's website.

5. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    get a can of compressed air, and blow it strait into any fan holes you can see.

6. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    External enclosure for your laptop drive (if you know how to remove it) , but most likely your computer is broken more then it is your HD [​IMG] .

7. triassic911
    OP

United States
    Ok, that seems like the best bet. I need the comp turned on long enough to fix the issue, but cleaning the vents sounds like another way to go about it.

8. triassic911
    OP

United States
    Where can I buy a can of compressed air? Would it be a place like home depot?

9. triassic911
    OP

United States
    YOOO, I FUCKING LOVE YOU. IT WORKED!!!!! Thank you man!

10. kenyab2009

Member kenyab2009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    try to start it in safe mode and if your using a laptop or newbook you should always give it a little space between the surface it is on for example sit it on a book to keep it from overheating

11. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds to me like you might want to keep an eye on that hard drive. I would at least backup my data while it is working again.

12. triassic911
    OP

United States
    I used a can of compressed air. I sprayed it in the vents for at least 15 mins. I've never felt the vents so ventilated!