Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I have a laptop that runs winxp. This morning when I turned on my laptop, I got a blue screen at the winxp logo boot up screen. It said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I thought it would be an easy fix running CHKDSK /R on the recovery console from the winxp disc. It was working fine until chkdsk got until 48% and then my computer shut down. I let it cool because it was really hot. After 2 or so hours I tried again with it next to the window. It ran until 28% and shut off again. This is a problem because I cannot fix a simple problem due to overheating. What can I do? What are my alternatives? Please help. Thanks.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
desk fan on full whack pointed at the laptop to cool it

you can could also power down and blow (using air from your mouth) out any dust and debris in the fans .... warning DO NOT USE A VACUUM CLEANER HERE it will cause static electricity this is not good for components!

from the microsoft support site

When you first restart your computer during the upgrade to Windows XP, or when you start Windows XP, you may receive the following error message:
STOP 0x000000ED (0xaaaaaaaa,0xbbbbbbbb,0xcccccccc,0xdddddddd)
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
Note In this error message, aaaaaaaa, bbbbbbbb, cccccccc, and dddddddd are hexadecimal numbers that may vary.

If you receive this error message when you restart the computer for the first time during an upgrade to Windows XP, your original operating system will still work correctly. In some cases, you may see a message that states that the wrong cable is being used. However, you may not see this message on computers that have a fast startup time.
Back to the top
RESOLUTION
Advanced troubleshooting These methods are intended for advanced computer users...
Advanced troubleshooting
These methods are intended for advanced computer users. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, you might want to ask someone for help, use the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site to find other solutions, or contact Support. See the "Next steps" section for more information about the Microsoft Customer Support Services Web site.

Begin by reading the "Technical information about the error" section to understand why the error might be generated and the purpose of the message. Otherwise, you can skip this information and begin with "Method 1: Check the error message" to help you resolve the issue.
Technical information about the error
This section provides some technical background about the cause of this error message and why it might be generated.

This behavior can occur if either of the following conditions is true:

* Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:
o You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
o The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.
* The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

The purpose of this error message is to prevent the following two things:

* Potential data loss caused by using an incorrect IDE cable for the faster UDMA modes. An IDE cable is a kind of cable used to connect storage devices, such as hard disks, inside a computer.
* Continued access to a drive on which the file system is damaged

Method 1: Repair the volume
Note the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) in the error message. You might have to regenerate the error in order to write it down.

If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, the cause of the error is that the file system is damaged. You can try to repair the volume to see whether this resolves the error. If the second parameter is not 0xC0000032, see "Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings" for help.
Some things that you should know before you try this solution

* If the file system is damaged, you can use chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. However, if you use the chkdsk /r command, you may lose some data.
* You will need the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk. If you do not have them, contact the computer manufacturer for help in obtaining the disks.
* You will need the administrator password to complete the steps.

To repair the volume, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer by inserting the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk if your computer can start from the CD drive.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do this.

Note If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.
7. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

If this procedure does not work, repeat it, but type fixboot instead of chkdsk /r in step 5.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please see the "Next steps" section for help.
Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings
If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, try these steps. If your computer does not use a UDMA hard disk controller, see the "Next steps" section for help.

* If your UDMA hard disk is connected to the controller with a 40-wire UDMA cable, replace the cable with an 80-wire cable.
* In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options, such as USB Support.

If you are not sure how to follow these steps, contact the manufacturer or refer to the user’s guide that was included with your hardware.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So this is a more than normal heat up? Then as mentioned, break out the fans, stick it over a box fan that is itself propped up to allow air flow or stick it over an AC duct as the excess heat is causing the shut down. I don't suppose you can see a bios level heat sensor/fan data, possibly watch what fan is/is not running or part is heating up? Or a diagnostic program ran from the CD only, no HD installed OS needed so you can see heat sensor data under stress?

If the system isn't fried completely then the processor is probably OK, it's just the power supply that's shot, not sure if those can be replaced on a laptop... Why I stick to desktops, easily swap out parts till it starts working and you find the bad part.

Or is the HD making funny noises? Have you tried a drive fitness test to see if maybe the heat is because the HD is shot and it's not running smoothly? The DFT's can normally tell if there are any serious issues right away, and then a quick or extended test would show if the drive is stable (while you run it in fan city/let it run the test in the fridge
wink.gif
) These programs are normally available from the HD manufacturer's website.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
get a can of compressed air, and blow it strait into any fan holes you can see.
Ok, that seems like the best bet. I need the comp turned on long enough to fix the issue, but cleaning the vents sounds like another way to go about it.

kenyab2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try to start it in safe mode and if your using a laptop or newbook you should always give it a little space between the surface it is on for example sit it on a book to keep it from overheating

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk