Cannot update Anything: Unable to access SD Card

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Reaga, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Reaga
    OP

Reaga GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Tried restarting, tried ejecting and blowing on the card, checked the titles in question for corruption, but I can't download anything and I still have 19Gb on my 64Gb microSD.

Any hints?

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Did you check if the SD card was fake? If not, use something like h2test2 or FakeFlashTest. Also it does not matter where you bought it from or how trustworthy the reseller is; everyone gets fake SD cards.

3. Reaga
    OP

Reaga GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    I've had the SD for a year now, but this problem is new. The SD is not fake, it's a PNY 64Gb from Walmart. Not the best quality but certainly not fake and it's certainly held up in downloading titles before.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you don't verify if its fake or not, how else am I supposed to help you? If you don't believe that's the issue, then what else would it be? At least verify its not fake so we know that's not a cause.

And Wal-Mart have sold plenty of fakes before, more so than most resellers.

5. Reaga
    OP

Reaga GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Running the fakeflashtest now. Using the empty space test because my wifi sucks and I don't want to redownload everything. My Switch could be stuck on charge for a day.

Also didn't mean to sound so defensive in my last response. Will update with the results

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its fine. In case I forget later, I'll post this in case the SD card is not fake.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-sx-os-boot-dat-error.510109/

While the thread title is talking about SX OS and boot.dat, its actually about an issue a user had where his Switch wouldn't detect his SD card despite working previously. Turns out it was a hardware problem with a temporary fix. If you use the temporary fix and it works, you may have to do what OP did and have the console repaired.

7. Reaga
    OP

Reaga GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2013
    United States
    Well **** Me, the SD card test comes up as "Probably Fake". Wonder where I can get a good non-fake upgrade?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted