Hardware Cannot turn off CRT monitor, makes clicking noises

Duo8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I just plugged in an old CRT monitor (Samsung SM 753s). It works fine for a moment but now whenever I turn it off it would constantly and rapidly make clicking noises, and won't turn off. Had to unplug it.

And it seems to be random. Sometimes it would turn off normally sometimes not.

The noise sounds kinda like the click when I pick "Degauss" in its OSD.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I have a few wild guesses as to what it could be. Top of the list being one of the elements cooling down (CRTs can get very hot inside). It could also be something with the filter maybe, the photon gun having trouble "parking" (or stabilising?), some dust/spiders getting fried (popcorn effect), maybe a short circuit (rust?).

It's been so long since I've worked with CRTs that I only vaguely recall the experiences I've had when they go wrong.

Retrospectives

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Might as well be bad capacitors and you should certainly check it out if you are intending to pro-long the lifespan of that (or any other) CRT. A re-cap of these old neckboards are necessary and since it's a Samsung it is certainly mostly needed. With that said, it might be another issue but be careful anyway. The static current that builds up in a CRT might stay there for well over a week (turned off) so make sure you are careful, or you will be in for a hell of a ride (speaking from own experience), hehe.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IF YOU PLAN TO WORK ON THIS:

Unplug the monitor. Remove the screws holding the back shielding on. On the inside of the screen when you open up the monitor, there will be something that looks like a suction cup. This is what is housing the anode that provides well over 30,000 volts of electricity to the CRT screen. What you want to do is attach one end of a wire to a screwdriver (electrical tape will do), and the other end to a ground (tape it to exposed metal of a plugged in lamp or something). With one hand in your pocket, CAREFULLY probe the screwdriver under the suction cup until you feel it hit the metal anode clips. At this point you should hear a very audible POP. Until you hear that, DO NOT touch ANYTHING inside of the monitor. After you're done with that, you can work on it as you please. Check for rust, leaking capacitors, etc, and blow some clean compressed air at spots that look dusty or grimy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.