Cannot seem to load gamecube games!

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Chrisssj2, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/playing-...sd-read-nand-to-sd.366859/page-2#post-5099642

Follow up from this thread.

Now I have formatted 2.0 TB HDD to 16 cluster format size fat 32. With all games in the usb/games folder and make sure the loader points there.

I use the correct versions of USB GX LOADER and dios mios 2.11 USB version (not the snook one)

Allow me to explain what I have tried.

Wiiflow - Eternal darkness - DIOS MIOS LOGO --> runs perfect.
    Super smash brothers, Tales of symphonia just black screen No DIOS MIOS logo.

USB GX gloader rev 249 All games.. NO DIOS MIOS LOGO (as I am aware of for the games I tested)
    USB GX Loader says DIOS MIOS 2.10 + (not sure if it should say 2.11?)

So this is my problem.. appearently it does load somewhat... since eternal darkness is 100% on my USB drive.

Why is the rest failing to load?? How can I make it succeeed in loading all gamecube games..

Each time I have to reset the wii and run through the entire menu's to try sheesh :(

Hope someone can help thank you.

2. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    I have all games converted with disc ex. So in the previous thread I heard this was not necessary.

I put in all iso's and gcm files but they won't show up directly.

At any rate I can't seem to play gamecube games.. someone please assist. I am following this thread non stop for now.

Devolution seems (r200) seems to crash if I load it up from the homebrew after it asks X or Y usb/sd..
    I don't know if I really have the right dios mios installed maybe? Because USB GX loader says 2.10+ not 2.11... Maybe U need to un-install before installing new?? or something?

I don't know im just guessing at this point.

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Update USBLoaderGX (latest revision is 1231), it can detects DM/L up to 2.11 (or maybe I did a mistake in the detection, but if you really have 2.10 it will not add the "+").

the games need to be named "game.iso"
    rename the gcm or the filename if needed.
    be sure you are not hiding file extension (or else your filename could be game.iso.iso)

When you launch the game, USBLoaderGX checks your HDD setup and warn you if there's an issue.
    If you don't see any warning and the game launches but end on blackscreen, then it's probably your hard drive which is not working with DIOS MIOS.

4. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Let me correct this.
    First of all I have USB loader version 1226. so it still it says DM 2.10+
    But I don't know where to download updated? when I check downloads I only see old files 2012/ 2013...

I googled and found 1231 zip file somewhere.. I put it omy sd etc. and it said 1231 in homebrew,but in credits it still says 1226....Dunno why

I did as you said.
    named them game.iso and also renamed a gcm to iso.
    It worked

As for the games. I get the black screen immediately. The game doesn't start. I just see a resolution switch (my screen informs me 1080p @ 50 hz) and that's it
    No dios mios logo , no game no nothing.

But appearently wiiflow did with eternal darkness on my USB. So I don't see how it could be my hDD..?

5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can update from the internal menu:
    Settings > Update > USBLoaderGX > Full update
    Latest version available for the internal update menu is r1231

If after updating or copying a new revision on your SD card you still see old version number in the Credit page, it's probably because you used a "custom made channel" (not an official one).
    Do not install custom modified channels, this is what happen when you do. You can't update.

You have two choices:
    1- Install the Forwarder channel (not the full channel with the loader included).
    Then put the boot.dol, meta.xml and icon.png (the actual USBLoaderGX executables) on your SD or USB, in /apps/usbloader_gx/

Or
    2- launch the loader from the Homebrew channel (not from the old/outdated channel)

For your blackscreen problem, it's strange that it works with Wiiflow but doesn't work with USBLoaderGX.
    All the loader is doing is launching BC (the Backward Compatibility IOS), then DIOS MIOS or DIOS MIOS Lite is responsible for the HDD compatibility and game loading.
    DM(/L) is loading the settings that the loader setup before launching BC (game path, cheat path, video mode).

Maybe the video mode set in USBLoaderGX is not working correctly.
    Try setting video mode to "Auto" or "Force xxxx" (where xxx is the game region. For example launching an NTSC game, you can force NTSC480p)

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    As far as I know, DIOS MIOS only works with 32kb and 64kb cluster size, so that'd be your problem. Cyan seems to have missed this :P
    Also, the FAT32 partition should be marked Primary and Active. (for this go to Start, right click on Computer->Manage, then click on Disk Management, right click your disk and "Mark Partition as Active" and make sure it's marked as both)

7. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    DIOS MIOS works with 32k/cluster or less
    DIOS MIOS Lite works with 64k/cluster or less

it works with "less", but it's better to use the higher possible size for game loading speed performance.

it can't be marked primary, as it's not a flag but a type. Primary means it's part of the 4 possible partitions listed on the sector 0 (MBR). as opposed to Extended partition table (EPT) or GUID-parted table (GPT), which defines the file system partition in another sector than sector0. you can't switch to primary without deleting the extended partition (maybe it's possible if the extended partition only contains one logical partition?).

Active is a flag, but has no effect on DIOS MIOS.
    it's used by BIOS on computers to know which partition to boot when you have multiple partitions/OS.
    DIOS MIOS could check this flag, but it would add an additional requirement to boot games which could be skipped as it has no influence on partition data.

8. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    I tried this and it said, Cannot create directory... lol!
    Tried again and it worked updated.. now it says the updated rev..r1231
    However when I reboot again it says 1226..
    Installed the wad file for forwarder
    Says no update available
    Dios mios version missing. says 3.0c. no rev version of GX loader.. several options seem missing in the loader settings pertaining dios mios, devolution nintdont etc.

So I still don't quite understand how I can't update to 1231...
    Downloaded the zips from google. extracted them to apps/usb loader
    I see rev 1231 in the homebrew channel just fine.
    When I boot it says 1226 however..

My harddrive is now primary+ active+ 32 KB cluster.

As for black screen. I tried your setting and tried pal 50/60 pal 480p with Mario kart pal version.. still black screen. in usb gx loader+ dios mios.
    Tried again with wiiflow,it says USB and then I have my games.. I see Mario kart. and there dios mios starts
    But I get apploader size 0
    SIGH LOL

GC devolution... I load up game, see some resolution switches. then I just see my disc tay infinitely keeping the led on and off...

Nintendont I updated it. And it works flawlessly so far!! It booted Mario kart, super smash brothers and tales of symphonia (most 3 important ones) My memory card broke though, so I use memory card emulation. Not sure if just because it boots these games I should expect to play them normally?

Ios 58 6176
    Homebrew channel says 24.23
    DxV10 beta 52 base 57
    Ios249 rev 21010 + AHB
    Nintendont 20 September 2014
    Devolution R 234

So for now my best solution is using dios mios lite + nintendont.
    My memory card died though.. and I don't think dios mios can use memory card emu?

How good is nintendont nowadays? does it ever crash?
    Appearently it does load games from my USB fine.. so how can my USB harddrive be the issue?

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Delete the USBLoaderGX channel.
    3.0c is old, and that's why you have problems updating.

There are two channels :
    Full channel (with the loader inside .. .version 3.0 r1180)
    Forwarder channel (without the loader)

If you use the Full channel (official r1180), there's no update available.
    If you use the Full channel modified by a user to inject a new version inside, the user probably didn't created it correctly. When you update, it updates the boot.dol (not the channel because the user didn't recompile the channel version!), when you reboot it reboot the channel not the dol.

Do not use the Full channel, install only the forwarder and use the boot.dol file on SD or USB.

10. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    How would I delete USB loader GX channel?
    I have no idea if used forwarder or full channel.
    Probably full then I guess.

Btw I have 2 channels.. it seems..

I used USB Loader GX-UNEO_Forwarder_5_1_AHBPROT.wad

Then I got the 2nd usb loader gx channel.. which also can't update.

EDIT:
    I deleted both channels via Wii system menu.
    Also ran multi mod manager and selected my wadd folder all uninstalled.

I launched the usb gx loader again from homebrew channel where it says 1231(in HBC) but in GX itself 1226.
    Tried updating again, got 1231. Rebooted wii.
    Got 1226 again..

Still can't update after deleting the channels?
    Or are they somehow still not deleted?

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Could it be I didn't uploaded the correct version on googlecode?
    but no other users reported this problem, so I'll consider there's no issue for the moment.

Do you have multiple paths for the loader ? (SD and USB for example)?
    Verify the "update path" in the Settings > user paths >
    it should point to sd:/apps/usbloader_gx/

If you really want the r1231, there's a link in my signature.

You can reinstall the forwarder channel (it has "UNEO" in the wad name).
    It's looking at
    sd/apps/usbloader_gx/
    usb1/apps/usbloader_gx/
    usb2/apps/usbloader_gx/
    etc.
    usb8/apps/usbloader_gx/

Maybe you have multiple paths, one you see in the HBC (for example listing USB), another one that the forwarder is loading (the one on SD).

12. Chrisssj2
    OP

Chrisssj2 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 12, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thanks, I replaced it with the file in your signature..

got 1231 now :)

Anyway it doesn't seem work dios mios normal.

So usb loading does work with nintendont which makes it seem my HDD is fine..

I hope the nintendont + dios mios lite combi will be enough.. Unless someone knows a full solution why dios mios isn't working.

13. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    DIOS MIOS Requires a lot of things :

Games must be on the first MBR Primary FAT32 32k/cluster partition of a 512bytes/sector hard drive.
    Sometime, DIOS MIOS is just not compatible with the drive's interface.