Cannot Read Memory Stick?

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Kurt91, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    I bought my sister one of those twin microUSB adapters, so that she has a 32GB Memory Stick in her PSP, which I had already hacked and gotten custom firmware working on it. When I put the Memory Stick in, it worked just fine, and she used it for a while to watch One Piece episodes I had downloaded and occasionally play with a GBA emulator. (the upgrade was mainly to store more tv episodes at once because she was going through it so quickly, and because I wanted to try some things with it that required more space than the original 1GB card provided.)

She had ended up mis-placing her PSP for a while now, probably a few weeks, and just found it today. When she turned it on, it wouldn't read her Memory Stick. I took a look at it, and after taking it out and re-inserting it, it said for a little bit that the Memory Stick needed re-formatted. However, by the time I got to the System Settings menu to do so, it started saying that there was no Memory Stick inserted again.

If I plug it into the USB slot on the computer and try to access it through there, the computer will tell me that it needs formatted as well, and offers to do so. Will this possibly fix the Memory Stick and let me either re-format it through the PSP and then start using it again, or am I screwed? I spent thirty dollars on this setup through Amazon, and never even got to use it for anything I wanted to. Given my situation right now, that thirty dollars was a lot of money for me, so I really don't want to find out that I'm screwed over.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Do you mean a microSD-to-MSPD adapter? If so, first remove the SD/SD's, clean the contacts on the cards and the adapter, format them on their own, insert them into the adapter, put the adapter into your PSP, format it if it gives you the option and re-try. If the PSP wasn't used for a long time, it could just be a contact issue.

3. Kurt91
    OP

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    I'm trying to reformat the cards individually at this point. The only problem right now is that formatting a 16GB card takes a really long time, at least with my crappy computer. Unfortunately, I've got two of these to go through. Hopefully, formatting it through the PSP next won't take as long.

EDIT: Just finished formatting, and it's working now. All I have to do now is just put the different games and programs back on it.