OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi on dbi installer I get the following error cannot parse nca. old firmware

for reference this switch is running on firmware 16.03 AMS 1.5.3 E

im trying to install new donkey kong and tomb raider

is there a new firmware? question is - how should I go about updating the firmware if at all required
thanks
Post automatically merged:

IIRC I might need to update the firmware via daybreak BUT I am not sure if I also need to update hekate? kinda worried about that dont want to mess things up

Last edited by Psd99,

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
There is plenty of guides how to update,

Short version, pull out your sd card>download latest atmos AND hekate>extract the files>copy paste to sd card>overwrite files yes>boot ofw> update firmware>run tegraexplorer payload>dump firmware>boot atmos>use daybreak to update.
Download latest sigpatches>extract and copy paste to sd card.

Done

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so it def needs to updateed to play the neewer gameS

Well that sucks

How does the tegra explorer bit work where do i get the actual firmware file
Is it safe to update?

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Updating takes a couple of minutes so i dont see what sucks?
I did 3 of my switches one by one in under 30 min without rushing.

I dont see anything unclear with my guide, you boot ofw then you update the firmware in the settings.

You put your tegraexplorer.bin on the sdcard in the payloads folder, then launch it with hekate by pressing payloads and the tegraexplorer.
Go down and press dump firmware, choose sysnand and it will dump the firmware from sysnand and place in on the sd card.
Then launch emunand, launch daybreak and choose the folder with the dumped firmware.

What do you mean by safe? The latest firmware and atmos?
People have been using it since december…

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
is there a new firmware? question is - how should I go about updating the firmware if at all required
Follow this guide in order to update your CFW (I recommend using the PC method) and follow this guide in order to update your emuNAND's firmware.

Few other things to keep in mind:

• If you're using a custom theme, uninstall it before updating firmware. You can redownload it and reapply it once you're done.
  • If you've blanked your prodinfo in the past (i.e. used Incognito or similar), you'll need to restore it as the Atmosphere will crash on firmware 17.0.0+. Use DNS MITM instead in order to block Nintendo servers.
  • You don't need to dump firmware files from your sysNAND in order to update your emuNAND. Firmware files can be easily found on a certain site we aren't allowed to link to (a quick Google search is all it takes to find it) and, once you download and extract them, copy them over to the e.g. firmware folder on the root of the SD card (any name will do as long as you can easily find the files later on). Only after you update your CFW (i.e. Hekate and Atmosphere), proceed to update the emuNAND's firmware via Daybreak.
  • After updating your Hekate and Atmosphere to the latest versions, don't forget to update your fuse.bin and hekate_ctcaer_x.x.x.bin payloads.
  • Also, grab the latest sigpatches and/or sys-patch module (which requires Tesla + nx-ovlloader) because these are required for games to work.

Reactions: Kameryn and BigOnYa

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks and i presume
This is the one and only
Time one needs to physically remove the microsd
Card from
The console?

I hate
Removing the card them
Pins are finicky

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks and i presume
This is the one and only
Card from
The console?

I hate
Removing the card them
Pins are finicky
That's the only time I remove my microSD card from my Switch in order to update CFW. If you're worried about damaging your microSD card slot, you can use Hekate's USB tool and update everything (i.e. Hekate, Atmosphere, sigpatches, copy over firmware files, etc.) and reboot afterwards using new, updated payloads.

rull_bull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks and i presume
This is the one and only
Card from
The console?

I hate
Removing the card them
Pins are finicky

Are you serious?

I have never had a broken sd card reader on all of the switches i have by just using it. And the sd cards have gone in and out a lot.

The only time i had to replace one was after the sd card reader was broken when it was removed from motherboard.
No signs of damage, just died.

For normal use it is sturdy as hell

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
For normal use it is sturdy as hell
I'd say that as well. At least, neither of two used Switches I've bought had issues so far with ejecting microSD card from their slots, especially the very first one I've bought. During that time I was working on dual SX OS / Atmosphere setup so I've ejected my microSD card somewhere between 30-40 times, not to mention afterwards every now and then whenever I was updating my CFW and the rest of the apps before I figured out that I can do most if not all of the updating with Switch connected to the PC.

If you're careful enough, I guess it can take a long time before it breaks (if it even breaks).

Reactions: BigOnYa

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well well well what a hassle
one of the switches has been upgraded... one to go.

and yes I didnt remove the memory card once the inbuilt UMS works perfectly okay

whats the deal with this:

• If you've blanked your prodinfo in the past (i.e. used Incognito or similar), you'll need to restore it as the Atmosphere will crash on firmware 17.0.0+. Use DNS MITM instead in order to block Nintendo servers.
How do I know if I was using prodinfo - on the other switch I thinK i used this method - whats the easiest way to fix this before I attempt the upgrade?

Reactions: Blythe93

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The easiest way is to use DNSmitm. Use the link from your own post for instructions

ok think this was fine on both consoles

however I did notice both of them kernel panicked on this file here D:\atmosphere\contents\010000000000bd00
Post automatically merged:

• Also, grab the latest sigpatches and/or sys-patch module (which requires Tesla + nx-ovlloader) because these are required for games to work.

is it like saying EITHER one or do I need to update both?
So far just did the sig patches btw and I think I use tesla - how do I test if tesla works again after the update? is there a set of keys I need to use?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
How do I know if I was using prodinfo - on the other switch I thinK i used this method - whats the easiest way to fix this before I attempt the upgrade?
The easiest way is to restore it by using the tool you blanked it with in a first place.

Note that I've never done it myself as I've been using DNS MITM from the beginning, so I might be wrong about the whole procedure.
If you used Incognito_RCM, you'll need backup files i.e. either prodinfo_sysnand.bin or prodinfo_emunand.bin should do the trick. The general usage of is explained in the readme file.
If you've used Atmosphere's exosphere.ini, you'll need to set blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=0 and/or blank_prodinfo_emummc=0, depending on which one you used to run your CFW on.

Using DNS MITM while still having blank prodinfo will seemingly fix the crash. Some say that using Incognito + DNS MITM is the best way to protect your console from getting banned, but I think I've read that some data may be stored somewhere else in the system, making the Incognito possibly unnecesarry. DNS MITM should be enough, at least as far as I know.

Someone else may comment on this further, as I'd be interested to hear what others think about it as well.
is it like saying EITHER one or do I need to update both?
Either one of them or both is fine. I prefer to have both of them as sys-patch may patch what sigpatches didn't or vice versa.
So far just did the sig patches btw
Should be enough. Whatever works the best for you.
how do I test if tesla works again after the update? is there a set of keys I need to use?
Make sure it's up-to-date first and that you have both Tesla and nx-ovlloader. If you can see the overlay after pressing the L + D-pad Down + R (Stick) combo, it should work just fine.
however I did notice both of them kernel panicked on this file here D:\atmosphere\contents\010000000000bd00
Tried updating the MissionControl to the latest version? Whenever you update your firmware, make sure to check whether you need to update your sys modules as well.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The easiest way is to restore it by using the tool you blanked it with in a first place.

Note that I've never done it myself as I've been using DNS MITM from the beginning, so I might be wrong about the whole procedure.
If you used Incognito_RCM, you'll need backup files i.e. either prodinfo_sysnand.bin or prodinfo_emunand.bin should do the trick. The general usage of is explained in the readme file.
If you've used Atmosphere's exosphere.ini, you'll need to set blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=0 and/or blank_prodinfo_emummc=0, depending on which one you used to run your CFW on.

Using DNS MITM while still having blank prodinfo will seemingly fix the crash. Some say that using Incognito + DNS MITM is the best way to protect your console from getting banned, but I think I've read that some data may be stored somewhere else in the system, making the Incognito possibly unnecesarry. DNS MITM should be enough, at least as far as I know.

Someone else may comment on this further, as I'd be interested to hear what others think about it as well.

Either one of them or both is fine. I prefer to have both of them as sys-patch may patch what sigpatches didn't or vice versa.

Should be enough. Whatever works the best for you.

Make sure it's up-to-date first and that you have both Tesla and nx-ovlloader. If you can see the overlay after pressing the L + D-pad Down + R (Stick) combo, it should work just fine.

Tried updating the MissionControl to the latest version? Whenever you update your firmware, make sure to check whether you need to update your sys modules as well.

thanks that is detailed I need to check mission control and tesla next...but for another time when I'm free.

one of them lets you use third party controllers right like the ps4?

it's fairly st forward the process, took me 30 mins first time and 10-15 second time around

i just don't enjoy the process because you fear you will mess something up - I hope there is not a new firmware anytime soon :)

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok great thanks all

both switches sorted now
updated mission control
ovlmenu
nx ovvloader

tesla worked on both switches but I forgot what it is even used for? lol

Until next time, would be great if there was just one really simple way to update but I do like the inbuilt USB tool

i know others mentioned that it's been good to them to remove the micro sd etc but I'd rather now
very fragile imo

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
tesla worked on both switches but I forgot what it is even used for? lol
You have nx-ovlloader, which is a host process for loading Switch overlays. Tesla is the initial overlay menu to be loaded by nx-ovlloader, which allows users to load other overlays. As @petspeed mentioned earlier, it's not required, it's just a convenience since some of those overlays allow user configuration, while the other require an input as well.
Until next time, would be great if there was just one really simple way to update but I do like the inbuilt USB tool
It's a great tool, indeed.
i know others mentioned that it's been good to them to remove the micro sd etc but I'd rather now
To me it's just a matter of what I got used to do. Gotta adapt to the newer, better methods.

Good luck and have fun with your Switches. ^^

Reactions: Psd99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto