Cannot connect to the internet after a system restore.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by 1stkirbyever, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 1stkirbyever
    OP

1stkirbyever Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Hello, everyone.
    I am in a bit of trouble here. [see topic]
    Here is the story: I was normally browsing the internet when all of a sudden I got a popup asking to install an "Antivirus" named "Palladium". [Spyware] I restarted the computer only to see that it installed without agreeing; I was unable to run anything [This included task manager.] after awhile I was able to remove it. After running a scan over 5 times; it seems it was gone. [Malware' bytes antivirus was unable to pick it up for some reason.] When I restarted my computer and accessed the internet I kept getting some popups and the most notable being that my computer was trying to run an .exe file. Avira however, stopped this from happening. [The .exe files were randomly generated names. Something like XLh19.exe] I decided that it was time to do a system restore; after restoring the the furthest point [sometime during 2008.] I am now unable to connect to the internet. [It doesn't say anything like DNS error. It just says cannot connect to the internet, I can't even find an access point.]

tl;dr: [see topic] and I don't want to do a system reformat as I have some very important data which I have no way of backing up. Is there any way to fix this?

And for those who are going to be smart; I am using a different computer to access the internet.

2. Raiser

Raiser I am mad scientist.

May 31, 2008
    Canada
    This happened to me once, but I'm sure it was because I have a shitty modem.

Try unplugging and replugging your modem (and router if you use one).
    If that doesn't work, give your ISP a call for help, they should be able to work something out.

Other than that, I cannot thing of anything else. :\

Good luck!

3. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice