Hacking Can you use internal hard drives for backups?

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but you have to get an external casing for it. Basically just a external HDD shell for maybe $20 that is USB based, you can put any PC hard drive inside it, plug it into the Wii like any External HDD,and it'll work.

As for an actual method to plug/solder a internal hard drive into the wii, no.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok...I thought you mean like...connect your PC to your Wii...I was like wtf...heh. Sorry.

As said before, just get the HD enclosure and you can just plug the HDD in via USB, transfer games over, then just plug the HDD into the Wii...

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but you have to get an external casing for it. Basically just a external HDD shell for maybe $20 that is USB based, you can put any PC hard drive inside it, plug it into the Wii like any External HDD,and it'll work.

As for an actual method to plug/solder a internal hard drive into the wii, no.
no not that but there is a tut on how to put the harddrive inside the wii, without the dvd drive.(just keeping the drive board). it's on here somewhere. but thats not what he is asking either. so will not waste my time to find it. just make sure it's on the compatible list. even then some time they work or will work half the time. this is one of the ones i have. an works good. have all my movies for my tv on it.http://www.amazon.com/Acomdata-Tango-2-5-Inch-Enclosure-TNGXXXUSE-BLU/dp/B001XHBNN2/ref=sr_1_37?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332986279&sr=1-37

wii knee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DonnyKD There's a 13 page thread with members helping you to unbrick your wii. You may notice that Damysteryman has asked you to give a detailed account of how you bricked your wii. PM him with a reply if you don't want to detail it publicly, but it's the least you should do in return.

Also, it sounds as though your unclear on connecting an HDD. Are you talking about pairing your PC or a separate drive?

edit: I see you've replied.

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DonnyKD There's a 13 page thread with members helping you to unbrick your wii. You may notice that Damysteryman has asked you to give a detailed account of how you bricked your wii. PM him with a reply if you don't want to detail it publicly, but it's the least you should do in return.

Also, it sounds as though your unclear on connecting an HDD. Are you talking about pairing your PC or a separate drive?

"@DonnyKD There's a 13 page thread with members helping you to unbrick your wii. You may notice that Damysteryman has asked you to give a detailed account of how you bricked your wii. PM him with a reply if you don't want to detail it publicly, but it's the least you should do in return."

And why do you post this here? Talk about irrelevant...

wii knee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K. Really wasn't intending to be preachy or off-topic. Didn't know if you had seen Damysterman's request before you started this new thread AND was attempting to clarify your understanding/intentions with respect to PC hard drive...it wasn't exactly clear.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
No, you cannot plug your computer into your Wii and use the computer's internal hard drive for your wii backups

you can however purchase an internal hard drive (or totally remove the drive from a computer) and insert it into an external hard drive enclosure (or similar adapter), and plug that into your Wii via USB for your wii backups

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Let's see.. So, in previous threats you talked about the fact you bricked one of your wii's with working dvd drive...
Now you are looking for a way to play backups from a harddisk, but you aren't having one, so you would like to use the one from your pc, and use it on your pc as well, preferrable at the same time.

That's not possible !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
to clear some of the confusion about what "internal drive means" and summarise the seemingly contradicting posts

1. a HDD that is inside the wii
not recomended and hard to do
but can be done with a 2.5, 1.8 or smaller drive and removing the dvd drive

2. a HDD MEANT to be used in a PC or similar device
done easily
buy an external USB enclosure and insert the drive into it instead of into the PC
it essencially becomes an external drive and can be used (alternatingly) on PC, Wii, etc

3. a drive that is physically (but not logically) inside a PC
doable but useless unless you need to limit the number of "boxes"/"devices" (e.g for frequent transportation)
you could use the electronics from 2. while leaving the drive physically inside the PC
can as 2. only used alternatingly

4. store the game on a pc
harder and more expensive than buying an external drive but not really impossible
a) iirc the WODE "modchip" supports playing games via network
b) or you could try to get your hands on a usb device controller (hard or really expensive (4 figures)) and use that to emulate a usb hdd
I'm curently toying with combining b) with getting games via network

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see.. So, in previous threats you talked about the fact you bricked one of your wii's with working dvd drive...
Now you are looking for a way to play backups from a harddisk, but you aren't having one, so you would like to use the one from your pc, and use it on your pc as well, preferrable at the same time.

That's not possible !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you haven't been reading anything have you?

That thread about my bricked Wii? It's resolved. This thread? Curiosity, since I do not have a external hard drive, and my 2GB SD card is small.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, you haven't been reading anything have you?

Sure I have been reading. Sometimes the art is to read between the lines. (The things that aren't written down)
So I was right, you don't have an external hard drive.
So your bricked wii is resolved, yes, I remember, it misteriasly fixed itself...altough I remember reading another threat about a wii showing a white screen when going into setup....
Maybe that's also fixed? So all is going well now.

PsyBlade pretty much gave you all the existing options. Hope it fixed your Curiosity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH
    At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in the world
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Notes on Android got some cool new features like dropping a image in
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Notes on Android got some cool new features like dropping a image in