can you upgrade a graphics card on a macbook?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JJBro1, Apr 15, 2009.

Apr 15, 2009
  1. JJBro1
    OP

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm thinking about getting a laptop and i was deadset on one of the macbooks since they run windows now, but now i'm a little skeptical because i'm a pc gamer and i heard you can't upgrade the macbooks graphics card because its integrated. Is this true?

2. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Ive got one of the new macbooks, and the graphics are sweet (I prefer PC's but I like my macbook). Not sure about upgrading, but I can run Fallout 3 on high graphics without slowdown (2gb of RAM) using Boot Camp. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the graphics because I'm getting an extra 2gb of RAM put in.

My best advice is get one of the new Macbooks, run boot camp and upgrade the RAM if you feel necessary. If not then just stick with a PC Laptop. Oh and by the way the only method of running high graphic PC games on a mac is to use boot camp, because something like parallels or crossover cant give it access to use the graphics card or something.

3. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    No, as most laptops you can't upgrade the graphics. In the Macbook there is a GPU integrated into the chipset. Some laptops use MXM cards, but there is nearly no way to buy MXM cards + then you'll get into trouble with heat.

the 9400m G the Macbooks is OK for light gaming, but if you like to play the newest games: Stick to a desktop PC.

4. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Something that I have "sticked" to since the release of the 680i SLi Motherboard. Honestly, if you want to get a good laptop and you want to play games properly on it just look for a normal laptop, not a macbook. Check out some Toshiba and HP models, some come with 9600m GT's, which is great, but yet again it depends on the the kind of gaming you want to do.

5. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Yeah the 9600m GT isn't bad, but it still isn't a hardcore gaming graphics card

6. Lodis

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you want to do any sort of real gaming you shouldn't bother getting a Macbook. Just go for a Sager NP8662 and never look back.

7. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    Dude, I checked out that laptop, pricey but HOLYCRAPTHATSAWESOME! [​IMG]

Is it worth the arm and leg?

8. m-p{3}

Member m-p{3} GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Fixed for you.