Can you put a SSD in a ps3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jDSX, Mar 1, 2016.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I came across this and wanted to know if a SSD is better for a ps3 long-term not that the regular hdd inside is bad. Also want to ask if there is any noticeable differences with games saving and playing smoother than with a hdd?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Can you? Yes. Does it improve much? Sort of. Is it worth it? Ehh...not really.

The biggest improvement is with installing game data, that will go by much quicker than with the PS3's stock HDD. But other than that, SSDs offer only little improvement for things like in-game load times and texture pop-in. You'll only shave a few seconds off load times on average compared to a 7200RPM HDD. This is mostly because the PS3's SATA interface is SATA 1, which an SSD can't really take advantage of, plus lack of TRIM and other PC-related options that keeps SSDs running quick.

DinohScene likes this.
  3. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    It's not worth the trouble buying one thanks for clearing that up. Would downloading games via psn be speed things up with a 56mb per second connection by any chance?

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    It might, but honestly, it's not worth it.
    I'd say get a 1TB or 2TB 7.2kRPM HDD.
    Much more value over an SSD.

5. Dyshonest

Dyshonest GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2014
    United States
    To clarify, an SSD is always worth it... if the device isn't so pitifully weak and if it support SATA III, which even the PS4 doesn't.

2TB 7200RPM 2.5" drives don't exist, by the way.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    It's been tested tme and time again, and the outcome is always the same: The best drive for a PS3 is a 7200RPM SSD/HDD hybride drive. Rage and Skyrim were used as texture loading benchmarks. Hybrid drives seem to perform the best.

7. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Physically? Yes. It should be easier to fit an SSD in the PS3 than it is to find a mechanical hard drive.

The issue is, that the PS3's SATA interface itself is limited to simply SATA gen-1... so it won't see the benefit of putting an ultra-fast SSD in there. Sure, it will use less power, but not terribly. And some games actually seem to load slower, because they expect the I/O rates of a standard hard drive.

You're certainly within your means to put an SSD in a PS3. It just wouldn't net any enormous gains or anything. So I wouldn't bother buying a high-end SSD to stick into it.