Can you play online with Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Reecey, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Reecey
    OP

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    If you have the latest GW3DS 7.1.0 -15 Emunand Firmware on your 3DS can I play games Like Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion, Street Fighter 4 etc.. online play?. I'm not on about games online from the eshop etc..just retail rom games online? Do I just run a rom through the gateway mode and use for example Mario Kart 7 to run races online as normal or can you not use retail roms online fullstop?. If cannot use online play and you do try to run a race online with say Mario Kart 7, what does it do? Anyone know about this cause the FAQ does not really explain properly and I dont know. Thanks.

2. Jean Karlo

Jean Karlo Hacker Aspirant!!!

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    No you cannot play roms online with gateways.... I don't know about retail games.... There is a thread for questions about the gateway you should check it

3. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Ahhhh Search Box, you're left there , unattended, people don't use you, noobs don't type on you.

No, you cannot use Gateway to play your 3DS free gaemz roms online, and this is not the first thread about it and there's a search box above... just sayin.

4. freejak13

freejak13 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2006
    United States
    Local multi works though.

5. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks Yepi69, in future when I want a sarcastic answer I will PM you! Please guys I just want some friendly advice not stupid answers.

freejak13 What do you mean by Local Multiplayer?

6. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Local multiplayer works obviously.

Also, anytime mate :yaynds:

7. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Yepi69. You go and purchase your 3DS £35.00+ games MATE and be happy, knowing I will be playing it for free! :yaynds:

8. freejak13

freejak13 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2006
    United States

There are two mulitplayer modes for the 3ds as you may already know. Online via the internet or locally with players nearby.

9. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks, yeah so local is ok with your buddys but online play is a no no. What does it do if you try playing online with a rom?

10. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Actually I am quite happy, bought Cave Story, one game always wanted, bought Pokemon Y (*whispers* I can play online) and Nintendo offered me Super Mario 3D Land by purchasing Pokemon Y, oh and also they offered me Super Mario Bros Deluxe 2 days ago.
    Oh and I have my Supercard DSTWO for tha freez DS gaemz.

And guess what? They aren't 35$, I buy them used, because unlike you, I'm not a cheap fuck.

UltraMew likes this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It gives you an error saying you're too far for the router or something, even if you're right next to it. There is no way to play online with ROMs and there is no estimate as to when it will be fixed, if ever.

Yepi69 likes this.
  12. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    They sure ain't 35$ in Europe as you know. x'D
    I buy lots of games but each game I buy on release costs the equivalent of 60$, and this when I'm a scholarship student that only 200€ per month to pay rent and buy food. x'D
    I really can't understand how americans that have higher incomes can complain about 35$, but ok. x3

------

Anyway, ontopic. As for the error you get, I recall reading a while ago that it was something gateway put themselves, so that Nintendo can't detect it and block it or something... It was a long time ago so I can't cite the source, it was here on the temp though.

13. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    I honestly only pirate games that are rather old or that I own/have owned and dumped myself

Yepi69 likes this.
  14. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    $ or €, whatever that's besides the point.

What I meant was I buy used games for under 35€ (at GAME, now called NewGamePT) I only spent 44€ on Pokemon Y bought new (Worten) and it was the best purchase I ever made in this year.

15. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa
    tl;dr ROMs are unable to utilize any online play features (but local play is just fine); only legit carts can.

If you do want to play online, you have two options. One is to update to the latest firmware, lose Gateway capabilities, and buy legit carts. The other (Only possible route to keep gateway AND play online) is to create and update an emuNand to the latest firmware and play LEGIT carts that way.

Yepi69 likes this.
  16. Reecey
    OP

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply's. I understand now :)

17. Yepi69

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Gladly to help.

18. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    the search box on ANY forum is completely useless and you can never find what you're looking for

BortzANATOR likes this.
  19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    BortzANATOR likes this.
  20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    There's also Stickied threads if you don't want to use the search box.
    You know, the one with "NOOB PARADISE" in the title, followed by "Ask questions here!". But you need to actually read the forum to understand the topic title.

In that thread full of answers, you have the very first post with a lot of links to useful threads and a FAQ :
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq

The FAQ is long, and you will need to read it to find answers. (too bad, I know, searching for answers is a hassle)
    It's obviously missing questions and answers too, but users don't feel like helping each others, I'm the only one maintaining that FAQ.

Skelletonike likes this.