Hacking Can you launch high FW carts on lower OFW?

Bargy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hi all,

I have just got Labo variety cart, which needs 4.1, but I am on 2.3 and reluctant to update until Atmosphere is launched.

My question is what is the best way to launch higher firmware carts from lower firmware?

Bargy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Thanks, from what I have seen, it looks like a good option. I’ll give it a try. Has anyone tried this? Will updating FW without fuse burning allow you to downgrade later?

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, from what I have seen, it looks like a good option. I’ll give it a try. Has anyone tried this? Will updating FW without fuse burning allow you to downgrade later?
yes, you can downgrade regardless, but note you probably can't keep your Switch settings when you downgrade past that many versions, like it'll be a fresh initialized console

Wolf2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
backup nand
update without burning fuse
enjoy
Exactly want to do this, currently staying on 4.1.0 but have no clue how so save the NAND.
In addition to that I think there is no proofen way to update and owngrad with the "burn no fuses" method, right?

Maybe there will be a user friendly instruction in future... would be nice :)

Reactions: Bargy

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen a few reports of users losing the ability to read game carts after going from a low FW to a higher FW. I think you have to be under 4.0.0 then go above 4.0.0 for this to happen, but be careful. Everything is still new territory.

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly want to do this, currently staying on 4.1.0 but have no clue how so save the NAND.
In addition to that I think there is no proofen way to update and owngrad with the "burn no fuses" method, right?

Maybe there will be a user friendly instruction in future... would be nice :)
there are instructions, and there is a method https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
it's not the easiest thing in the world so if you do it make sure you read it and the thread a few times first. saving the NAND is done in hekate, description here https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have seen a few reports of users losing the ability to read game carts after going from a low FW to a higher FW. I think you have to be under 4.0.0 then go above 4.0.0 for this to happen, but be careful. Everything is still new territory.
ah yeah good point, if your stock version is below 4.0 and you upgrade to 4.0 or higher, it does an unavoidable cartridge reader update that doesn't work at all on < 4.0 firmware, so if you downgrade again you can't read cartridges

Bargy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Thanks for the detailed reply. I wonder if there could eventually be a cold boot Atmosphere solution for a switch that hasn’t burnt fuses above 3.0 even if it is on higher firmware with this method (ie downgrade later, lose cart reader temporarily and install Atmosphere for lower firmware).

Possibly a pipe dream?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this feature is upcoming at a later time its in TX Faq that they will want to be able to launch games requiring FW xxx on a lower FW, but its not currently available on their latest current version 1.2 and there is no estimated time announced yet.

The only way is really the known method of updating without burning efuses on links posted above my post.

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed reply. I wonder if there could eventually be a cold boot Atmosphere solution for a switch that hasn’t burnt fuses above 3.0 even if it is on higher firmware with this method (ie downgrade later, lose cart reader temporarily and install Atmosphere for lower firmware).

Possibly a pipe dream?

IIRC Atmosphere will have emuNAND support, so you could stay on official 3.0.0 and have an emuNAND running 5.1.0 (or whatever is latest) and still retain the cart function. But I'm just assuming.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If
You go from anything above 4.0.0 to under you lose the ability

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country

1.0.0 up to 3.02 are OK, anything after that updated the game card reader and then if you downgrade you wont be able read carts in the old/low FW.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from speculation in the firmware thread, emuNAND will still have the cart issue
If it does, maybe SciresM could bypass it just like they bypassed the efuses...

Because it would be a big hassle if in the future a new better exploit would appear and if it relied on a game cartridge we would be screwed, other than this there isnt much of a drawback as anyway it gets to a point in time where games will require FW5 to run, then 6, then 7.... or whatever so we could only play old games anyway.

Reactions: charlieb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/knyBygUiKLI?si=BkBsC-TZ4OrZoiPk