Can you get caught for cracking apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by kiafazool, Jun 29, 2011.

Jun 29, 2011
  1. kiafazool
    OP

Member kiafazool GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    NO IM NOT GOING TO SAY THAT WORD OF THE THING THAT CRACKS THOSE THINGS THAT APPLE SELLS FOR iDEVICES

im just here to clarify something because i got into a debate with my friend who got apps for free and also cydia apps/themes.
    i told him that he could get caught for doing that and he said its safe.

im just trying to get my point proven and i wont be doing this process because its just stupid and im against piracy.
    fyi i have already bought many cydia and itunes apps

so can someone get caught for doing this to the app store? cydia store?

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    You will never get caught unless you flaunt it to the police or something, and even then, they probably don't care.

3. kiafazool
    OP

Canada
    so its impossible to track someone down who cracked an app or a theme from the cydia or app store

huh so he was right

that kind of bad security

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    FYI, he most likely didn't crack them. Pirating =/= cracking. Cracking is what the person who uploaded the application did. By the time it is downloaded by someone else, they are already cracked.

5. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    there was an app on cydia called "Wifi-sync" that, upon realising it was cracked it would alert that it has recoded the UIUD and the ip adress it was used on.

as for app store apps, well i don't know if there was such function.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    they cant do anything with the ip address as its just an IP and nothing attached to it, (name address, ect...)
    its just a cheap scare tactic to try and get people who pirated it to pay, same thing on a ton of other cydia apps and even the app store apps (like one of the tap tap revenge games, they will say they will report you and you will get fined and go to jail ect... its just a bunch of bull crap to try and scare the user)

app store apps cant use anything to mess with the idevice unlike cydia apps (or it would get rejected from the store)

7. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    There is no doubt that Apple can check devices for pirated apps. The only question is _will they_?

They also retain all kinds of functions like a killswitch, not to mention the fact that the devices are so integrated with iTunes.

Considering the fact that Apple retains a history of everything you've ever downloaded--whether it's an app that was free or paid, and even all the updates you've ever received--all they would need to do is add one little check to iTunes to check this history against what's actually present and report the results.

But so far they've never exercised anything like this and there's no telling if they ever will.

8. Coconut

Member Coconut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Pretty funny. Seeing how you were wrong XD

9. kiafazool
    OP

Canada
    how is it funny
    im just against piracy
    i had my side of an argument and he has his

10. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well it's unlikely that he will have feds ever knocking on his door. So if that's the point you were trying to make you're wrong.

But there are benefits to buying apps. There's the convenience of receiving my updates for free from Cydia or the app store, rather than having to wait for another person to crack them and redownload the entire program. And pirated apps introduce too much potential for malware or stability issues due to poorly cracked software. The fact is your friend probably has little to no idea who is providing the apps he's been acquiring, and considering the sort of data we store on our phones that's a gross security risk.

Not to mention that iOS apps cost all of $1-$2 each. Griping about not wanting to pay the equivalent of a couple candy bars or sodas is douchey.

11. Holified 2x

Member Holified 2x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I cracked PowerAmp 3 different times haven't got caught or receive any messages relating to me being caught.

12. link491

Member link491 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    yeah but a lot of REALLY GOOD apps (final fantasy 1-3, infinity blade, etc) cost like $5+! and some people (me, etc.) DO NOT have that kind of money to waste!

13. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Nice bump [​IMG]

Not only that but some people feel they shouldn't have to pay for crappy $1-$2 minigames that last for 5 minutes. I've been using Cydia and that one app for apps for almost 4+ years, never had a fed knock on my door.

14. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    You can't pay $5 for an excellent app?
    Then why could you pay $200+ for an iPod/iPhone?

15. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Why buy if you don't have to pay for it?

16. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Why buy the iPod/iPhone if you can steal it?

17. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Better security in certain stores than the apps themselves. Not only that, but if caught you could be arrested.

18. link491

Member link491 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    i didnt pay for mine, it was a gift! im broke!

19. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    It kind of reminds me of those really bad anti piracy ads "You wouldn't download a car if you could" or "You wouldn't download a bear" Uhh...hell yes I would! I'd name him Jim and we would roam the world together!

20. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    just because it's easier and the chances of getting caught are lower doesn't make it any less right

app developers spend tons of time working on apps and they only ask a measly $1-$5 for them, when you pirate the app it's not just you getting them for free, it's the developer not getting the money he/she deserves