Can you front light a GBC w/o wrecking a GBA SP?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by romanaOne, May 3, 2014.

1. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    I have been looking into upgrading the screens on my GBA and GBC handhelds. After much searching and watching poorly made youtube videos, I think it is just not worth it when you can buy GBA SP AGS-101 for less than $50.

The problem is that the parts are just too expensive. Or am I missing something?

I got an AGS-101 screen, ribbon cable adaptor, and modded shell for $50 incl S/H from a Chinese seller. He claimed the screen was brand new, but I doubt it. When I put it in a GBA, it was decent, but not nearly as bright as a GBA SP AGS-101. $50 plus an hour's fiddling yielded results that were just about acceptable.

So my GBC sits in a drawer, neglected....My old eyes just can't deal with its dim screen and the glare. Is there any way to front light this guy, DIY? I mean, companies like Adafruit and Sparkfun sell all sorts of LEDs. Surely someone, someplace MAKES a decent front light LED that will fit in a GBC?

With all these old cell phones kicking around, surely something has got a light source that will fit in the GBC?

While I prefer the shape of the old gameboys GB,GBC,GBA to the newer clamshells, I still think its better to just fix AGS-001, AG-101 than to scavenge parts.

2. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
  3. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Thanks, but that kit really doesn't look too great.

Even the seller's description is um, well.... I'll quote it:

4. reprep

Jul 5, 2012
    then, just go with ags sp-001. a friend of mine did it for me. as i said, it can't compete with a backlight, but it makes my gbc enjoyable at nights.

i might also recommend a gameboy clone called gb boy colour. it has some negatives but its backlight is great.

5. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Yes, I just got one on the same site you mentioned. Pretty good for $28.

6. reprep

Jul 5, 2012
    yup gb boy colour is great. its screen is much better than a front-lit gbc.

i might also recommend the jap exclusive gameboy light, if you are into monochrome gb games. its light is distributed evenly and very nice.