Hacking Can You Do A Manual Wii U FW Update from 5.1.2 To Say 5.5.1, Without Updating To Current FW?

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
!st PART OF A 2 PART QUESTION : Hello I recently purchased a Wii U & its Firmware version is 5.1.2 and if i connect to the internet & use nintendo servers I will update to a less than desirable firmware for doing a CFW i.e. the NDS mod (which im trying to work towards but am unsure about my success atm) or the browser hack mod (trying to keep my options open incase im unable to access Eshop). I have looked everywhere on GBATemp, wiiubrew, wiiuwiki & the WiiUguide sites all with no real clear explination but none show a method to modify an older firmware like 5.1.2 only 5.50- the most recent are supported. Does anyone have any answers or can Ibe directed where to look for these Answers?

2ND PART OF A 2 PART QUESTION : I just got the new wi on firmware 5.1.2 and after hooked it up to the internet it tried to update so I saw this & unplugged it from the wall immediately before it started to install. After inspecting some things I have found the update file is downloaded to my Wii U is there anyway to erase it?
Thanks to anyone who can give any tips or point me in the correct direction it is appreciated,
Murmandamus

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
Trophies
XP
You can update to 5.5.1 using the following games.
  • Cars 3: Driven to Win
  • Darksiders: Warmastered Edition
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure
  • Paper Mario Color Splash
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
  • Skylanders: Imaginators
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The alternative way would be to use an update game to 5.3.2 - 5.5.0 and then update using hax.
I have a guide for updating from 5.3.2 - 5.5.0 to 5.5.1 here.

You can delete the update files, however I you need to use FTPiiU_everywhere which I believe requires Mocha/Haxchi/CBHC to be installed.
I'd recommend just updating to 5.5.2 and installing Haxchi/CBHC

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
!st PART OF A 2 PART QUESTION : Hello I recently purchased a Wii U & its Firmware version is 5.1.2 and if i connect to the internet & use nintendo servers I will update to a less than desirable firmware for doing a CFW i.e. the NDS mod (which im trying to work towards but am unsure about my success atm) or the browser hack mod (trying to keep my options open incase im unable to access Eshop). I have looked everywhere on GBATemp, wiiubrew, wiiuwiki & the WiiUguide sites all with no real clear explination but none show a method to modify an older firmware like 5.1.2 only 5.50- the most recent are supported. Does anyone have any answers or can Ibe directed where to look for these Answers?

2ND PART OF A 2 PART QUESTION : I just got the new wi on firmware 5.1.2 and after hooked it up to the internet it tried to update so I saw this & unplugged it from the wall immediately before it started to install. After inspecting some things I have found the update file is downloaded to my Wii U is there anyway to erase it?
Thanks to anyone who can give any tips or point me in the correct direction it is appreciated,
Murmandamus
If you plan on using Haxchi or CBHC, then the easiest thing for you to do would be to update to v5.5.2 over the internet, and then use the unreliable v5.5.2 web exploit to install Haxchi/CBHC. Because the v5.5.2 web exploit is unreliable, it will likely take you a few tries.

If you do not plan on installing Haxchi or CBHC, then you need to update to v5.3.2, v5.4.0, v5.5.0, or v5.5.1 using a game disc. If you're on v5.3.2, v5.4.0, or v5.5.0, you can use homebrew to update to v5.5.1.

Considering the cost of game discs, installing Haxchi/CBHC onto v5.5.2 might be your cheapest option (about $7 for a Haxchi-compatible game).

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Murmandamus

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm that's alot of "food for thought" so just to say I don't mind paying 7$ and plan on getting a couple of games on the list of wii games w/ updates, Zelda for sure I've already got it for switch but as I read you can't downgrade a switch I've yet to update it from stock. Everyone recommends 5.5.2 then? No issues with making back ups of wii u games or copying your nand? Is a emunand still an option with USB drive? Anyway sorry for more questions. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED A REPLY. I could not find out anything definite about updating I felt was reliable. Thanks again everyone I hate to ask for assistance but at times it's the only option.
Murmandamus

Last edited by Murmandamus,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There is no functional difference between using 5.5.1 and 5.5.2 because the underlying kernel exploit is the same, merely the web exploit is different. The web exploit is less reliable but it is recommended to just use this to install Haxchi as your main exploit instead. You need to purchase and sacrifice a Virtual Console DS game for this, so just grab Brain Training.

As has been said, you can use EmuNAND but there's no real need to use an EmuNAND unless you are a developer.

Murmandamus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted thank everyone for thier opinions & help in deciding whih way to go with this mod. I have complete Haxchi install and now move on to other apps & install attemps. So once again all advie & help was much appreciated. can close this thread out as solved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT